14 mo old starting to hit

TotalElite

My 14mo old hit my wife and nephew yesterday with a Hot Wheels car. (It was one of those moments.....funny but not funny) Suggestions on nipping this in the bud? I verbally disciplined her and put her in "time out". Did I do the right thing?

jenbengen

Watch it
TotalElite said:
My 14mo old hit my wife and nephew yesterday with a Hot Wheels car. (It was one of those moments.....funny but not funny) Suggestions on nipping this in the bud? I verbally disciplined her and put her in "time out". Did I do the right thing?

I had a hitter and what worked is consistently saying (in a harsh tone so she knew she was in trouble) "no ma'am, you do not hit. That is not nice. It hurts (insert name here). Be gentle". Then I would use their hand to touch something gently to show what I meant by "gentle". It took a whie for them to figure it out, but it worked in the end. Every kid is different though! Some kids are unphased by the harsh tone. lol!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Mine bit me 3 ... maybe four times. The first couple times, I tried that warm-fuzzy "goochiegoo nononono you da cutest baby on earth don't do that meanie weanie stuff to mommy" and it didn't help. Then I got smart, leveled the playing field and bit her back. That was that. :yay:

You have adults who can't comprehend other peoples "feelings" unless it happens to them ... what makes you think a 14 month old can? :shrug:

onebdzee

off the shelf
crabcake said:
Mine bit me 3 ... maybe four times. The first couple times, I tried that warm-fuzzy "goochiegoo nononono you da cutest baby on earth don't do that meanie weanie stuff to mommy" and it didn't help. Then I got smart, leveled the playing field and bit her back. That was that. :yay:

You have adults who can't comprehend other peoples "feelings" unless it happens to them ... what makes you think a 14 month old can? :shrug:

I think we came from the same mold :lmao:

F

Fat Momma

crabcake said:

AMEN to that. I know people say you can't use force to stop the use of force...

BS.

If after a few verbal warnings and she don't get it. SMACK her bottom.

Kids now a days have no fear. All this cute little time outs and words just don't cut it.....

mommarock

Fat Momma said:

BS.

Kids now a days have no fear. All this cute little time outs and words just don't cut it.....

DITTO! Kids today feel entitled to everything and have no respect for their parents or other authority figures. I wonder if that is why there is so much #@A$ going on........."if I want something I will take it, no matter how it will affect others" "Don't tell me what to do"..."If you spank me I will call social services" Well guess what I have to say to that.....I already have the number dialed, just push send!

F

Fat Momma

mommarock said:
DITTO! Kids today feel entitled to everything and have no respect for their parents or other authority figures. I wonder if that is why there is so much #@A$ going on........."if I want something I will take it, no matter how it will affect others" "Don't tell me what to do"..."If you spank me I will call social services" Well guess what I have to say to that.....I already have the number dialed, just push send!

Yup,

I was at the mall yesterday with my youngest daughter and her friend. They were in hot topic...okay I do not like the store because there is no room for fat momma, so I was standing on the right hand side.

There was another mother who came in with a young woman.

The young woman walked to the end of the store as the mother waited in the front.

This dirty, nasty young man with some little nasty looking girl walked in and knocked the poor woman into the display.

He said something and she turned around and said did you say something to me?

This dirtbag, said if I said something to you, you would know it.

This pissed the woman off and she said, oh really, because you are that special or something like that.

He tried to save face in front of his friend but the woman put him in his place.

Guess he was not expecting that.

Then he went to the registar yelling at the cashiers that he wanted a job.

I tell you if it were not for my daughter and her friend I would have thrown something at his sorry ass.

Such disrespect.

When in the eff did we let the kids take over?

jenbengen

Watch it
crabcake said:

My question is this- when you child bites a kid back at school to let them know how it feels like you did and your child gets in trouble for this, are you going to be mad at the teacher? How do you explain this to the child?

I appreciate that you do what works for you and that is fine. I'm just curious how you would handle this. I just think it is setting a bad precedent.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
jenbengen said:
My question is this- when you child bites a kid back at school to let them know how it feels like you did and your child gets in trouble for this, are you going to be mad at the teacher? How do you explain this to the child?

I appreciate that you do what works for you and that is fine. I'm just curious how you would handle this. I just think it is setting a bad precedent.
The expectation is that by the time the child is old enough to attend school, they have some ability to reason and know the basics of right vs wrong. When my son was at that age and slapped me, I popped his little hands right back, and he quit. He's five now, and hasn't hit anyone since. :shrug:

bcp

In My Opinion
TotalElite said:

when my daughter started doing that, I went out and purchased one of those training collars for dogs.
I put it on her then I kept the remote in my hand.
whenever she did something wrong I would shout bad child, bad child and crack her with 440 volts.

after she stopped bouncing around on the floor, she would get back up and behave for a long while.

now all I have to do is just yell bad child, and she stops what she is doing, grabs at her neck and runs to her room.

she does not mess up too much any more.

side note.
this does not work on the wife training issues.

terbear1225

TotalElite said:

i think time out is a good start. when we had a problem with piglet hitting we did the time out think but during time out we held the offending arm so that she couldn't use it for anything, much less hitting. she also lost some play time with Mommy every time she hit me.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

Fat Momma said:

BS.

My parents hardly ever spanked my sister and I (probably not even 5 spanks each), and they never spanked my brother. We were all very well-behaved children. We respected our parents without them having to use force. :shrug:

I don't think parents need to spank in order to discipline their children, they just have to stay on top of things and not wait until their kid is 5 years old and then think, "What happened? Little Johnny was always so good, I always gave him what he wanted. :confused:"

ETA: I just wanted to add that I don't think a spank as a last resort is horrible, I'm just saying they don't need spankings all the time, or as their primary punishment. JMO.

bcp

In My Opinion
Cowgirl said:
ETA: I just wanted to add that I don't think a spank as a last resort is horrible, I'm just saying they don't need spankings all the time, or as their primary punishment. JMO.
you gotta learn these younguns early.
crack em with a pan when they get to thinking on their own.

its the only way.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
bcp said:
when my daughter started doing that, I went out and purchased one of those training collars for dogs.
I put it on her then I kept the remote in my hand.
whenever she did something wrong I would shout bad child, bad child and crack her with 440 volts.

after she stopped bouncing around on the floor, she would get back up and behave for a long while.

now all I have to do is just yell bad child, and she stops what she is doing, grabs at her neck and runs to her room.

she does not mess up too much any more.

side note.
this does not work on the wife training issues.

:clap:

Works every time. :yay:

buddy999

It's Great to be American
Fat Momma said:
Yup,

Then he went to the registar yelling at the cashiers that he wanted a job.

I tell you if it were not for my daughter and her friend I would have thrown something at his sorry ass.

Such disrespect.

When in the eff did we let the kids take over?

First, I hope the store manager witnessed the event and told the guy that they don't hire inconsiderate people in their store.

Second, I think the kids took over when a group of child psychologists decided it was wrong to punish your kids with the occasional 'SPANKING'. I know that it never hurt me when I was growing up and I learned the meaning of respect. My parents both spanked me when they felt I needed it and they also told my teachers to use the paddle if they thought it was necessary. It never was though because we usually got that punishment when we got home with the teacher's note.

crabcake

jenbengen said:

Biting is typically a toddler thing; not something they do in school, unless they have some sort of other behavioral disorder. But like I said, that's the whole point of biting them back -- they STOP doing it ... because the warm fuzzy, goochie-goo shiat doesn't always work.

crabcake

jenbengen said:
There are 3 year olds that still bite when they enter preschool. But I see what you are saying.

Obviously children whose parents didn't bite them back. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fat Momma said:

BS.

Agreed. "They" say you can't stop violence with violence :drama: but thousands of years of parenting can't be wrong. Smack their hand or butt - they'll get the message.