Carseat Question

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Hello All :howdy:

My daughter has a bad habit of climbing out of her car seat. We have tried many different models (over the shoulder, five point harness, booster ), and several different brands. I have even tried a combo with the five point harness and car seat belt (for the booster seat). All of these have been installed by the someone at the rescue squad and she is in properly. She still gets out! Last night we were in the car on the way home and I felt someone grab my arm...the baby was completly out. Normally she wiggles her arms or legs out but not both. Besides being against the law it isn't safe for her not to be in a baby seat. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do or can you suggest?

TIA

MMDad

Lem Putt
This is a perfect time to try parenting. If she can climb out, she's old enough to understand the word no and the consequences of not obeying.

Geek

If she can "wiggle out" of a 5 point restraint, it is not tight enough. Take your carseat and your daughter to a local car seat check. Making sure your child is safe in the car is the most important thing you have to do right now. Explain what is going on, show them your loose seat belt on your baby, have them fix it. Also, get a mirror so you can watch the baby. You should be checking on her at every stop light and stop sign.

bcp

In My Opinion
My daughter used to do the same thing.
on one trip we took (emergency run from davidsonville to Parthanon Arkansas 1200+ miles non stop) we ended up having my wife sitting in the back with my daughter while I drove.
she was one and a half at the time and after the first couple hours there was no way to keep her in.

total trip was 20 hours of living hell.

you might want to try when possible to have someone sit with her and read or sing... wait, memories,,no singing.. or tv or something to keep her occupied.

and you are correct. it could be a very serious problem when you are driving alone with her in the car.

Geek

bcp said:
My daughter used to do the same thing.
on one trip we took (emergency run from davidsonville to Parthanon Arkansas 1200+ miles non stop) we ended up having my wife sitting in the back with my daughter while I drove.
she was one and a half at the time and after the first couple hours there was no way to keep her in.

total trip was 20 hours of living hell.

you might want to try when possible to have someone sit with her and read or sing... wait, memories,,no singing.. or tv or something to keep her occupied.

and you are correct. it could be a very serious problem when you are driving alone with her in the car.

I can't believe I read that whole post looking for the punchline :mad:

bcp

In My Opinion
Geek said:
I can't believe I read that whole post looking for the punchline :mad:

sorry. when it comes to childrens safety I dont usally find a way to put in a punchline.

Ill try to make it up to you somewhere else. :flowers:

jenbengen

Watch it
maxima87 said:

My daughter has a bad habit of climbing out of her car seat. We have tried many different models (over the shoulder, five point harness, booster ), and several different brands. I have even tried a combo with the five point harness and car seat belt (for the booster seat). All of these have been installed by the someone at the rescue squad and she is in properly. She still gets out! Last night we were in the car on the way home and I felt someone grab my arm...the baby was completly out. Normally she wiggles her arms or legs out but not both. Besides being against the law it isn't safe for her not to be in a baby seat. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do or can you suggest?

TIA

Without a doubt, it isn't tight enough around her wiggly body. The actual seat may be installed properly, but you don't have it nearly tight enough. There is no way for a kid to climb out if you have them secured as tightly as recommended.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Sounds like the kids a Houdini. :lmao: Of course teaching them no is the way to go and by no means is leaving them out of the seat the answer. I guess all you can reallt do is take the kid and the seat to the same place and have a proffessional figure out how little Houdini is making the great escape. My little one just moans and sez "Dad, I'm stuck" once I strap her in.

bcp

In My Opinion
jenbengen said:
Without a doubt, it isn't tight enough around her wiggly body. The actual seat may be installed properly, but you don't have it nearly tight enough. There is no way for a kid to climb out if you have them secured as tightly as recommended.
mine would reach down and unclip the thing. she had the three point type back then.

I think they are now making ones that the kid cant reach the clasp on.

bcp

In My Opinion
on one hand we have someone concerned with their childs safety. (we will refer to this person as,, "Intellegent")

then, I find this, we will refer to these people as ("IDIOTS")

Geek

bcp said:
sorry. when it comes to childrens safety I dont usally find a way to put in a punchline.

Ill try to make it up to you somewhere else. :flowers:

ok. I am holding you to that.

SoMDGirl42

RoseRed said:
Duct tape.
The whole time I was reading these posts, I was thinking Duct Tape. Then I thought it wouldn't be so funny because this is a serious issue. But I admit, I still laughed that someone else thought the same thing.

Seriously, this is a real problem. Baby's safety is first, and I agree the belts must not be tight enough. Find out how he/she is getting out and figure out a solution. I'm sure he/she isn't the only one to figure this out, so there must be others that have had the same problem and can offer other solutions.

snow_angel2000

maxima87 said:

TIA

I went through this with my son when we lived in Germany. Last time I looked, he had been asleep. Not even 10 minutes later (I was driving on the autobahn and obviously wasn't looking back every 2 minutes), I heard seatbelts clanking in the back. He had silently climbed out and was sitting in the seat playing with the middle seatbelt. I did a safe, but rather quick stop, hopped out, put him back in his seat, tightened the harness, and told him NO (and that he would ABSOLUTELY NOT do that again) with an urgent tone, explaining the dangers of it, and even at 1 1/2 yr old, he was able to somewhat understand that Mommy was very upset and he shouldn't do that again, because Mommy ain't so nice when she's that scared.

Like someone else said, take it in and explain what your munchkin's doing and maybe they'll be able to tighten the straps just right to keep the wiggling from happening. I'm sure the kiddo isn't gonna like that, but for safety and all practical reasons, she doesn't really have much choice in the matter lol Good luck!

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
RoseRed said:
Duct tape.

Too funny! I asked a sheriff in St. Mary's Square and that was the first thing that he said. I always tighten it when I put her in, as it has a pulley thing at the release to tighten it. I will take it in and see if I do have it too loose. When my son is with us she will stay put, it only happens when it is the two of us.

I am probably guilty of not using NO with too much authority. She is a sick child and I am way more lenient(sp?) on her than my older son.

Thank everyone for your suggestions! (And to think when I ran this by a co-worker they advised me everyone on her was an a$$!)

-Jay

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was fortunate enough to never have this problem. Chick has always complied to sit in her seat, and at 7, she still uses a booster seat.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
RoseRed said:
I was fortunate enough to never have this problem. Chick has always complied to sit in her seat, and at 7, she still uses a booster seat.
Not everybody has a princess :huggy:

MMDad

Lem Putt
RoseRed said:
:yeahthat: We got distracted once and forgot to buckle our daughter in. As soon as the car started moving she started screaming. We got payback with my son though. He'd never be buckled if we didn't force him.