And you thought daycare was hard to find

SD1492

Softballkid said:
I've realized daycare is actually easy to find...

Its finding a GOOD daycare that is hard..

DAMN, that sucks. I know my daughter loves her day care providers.

And it's not just easy to find or to find a good one. These two centers fees where decent I bet and the others are more then likely out rages fees. And lets face it not every one makes that kind of money. I know I don't and I'm greatfull for my day care, but you would think that if the centers where in trouble they would have informed the parents due to increase in the encomney they would have to up the fees 10 or 20 bucks.

What a shame, I feel so sorry for all those involved in this.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Dymphna said:
It's about to get harder.

This one is in Crofton: http://www.capitalonline.com/cgi-bin/read/2007/04_19-57/TOP

This one is on Carroll County: http://www.wbaltv.com/news/13206389/detail.html

And word is that a national chain (don't know which one) is going to close in the next few days for the same reason, there's no money in it.

Sounds like both centers did some piss poor business planning. It's a shame for those kids and their families having to scramble to find a new daycare provider.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dymphna said:
there's no money in it.
Ain't that the truth. People always complain about how expensive daycare is, but when you break it down, daycare providers don't make squat. You figure what, $100 a week for full-time? (I have no idea what daycare costs anymore, I'm just guessing)

So they've got 5 kids, that's $500 per week or $26,000 a year. Yet someone who's making 4 times that will complain about how expensive it is to pay someone to basically raise your kid for you 10 hours a day.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
vraiblonde said:
Ain't that the truth. People always complain about how expensive daycare is, but when you break it down, daycare providers don't make squat. You figure what, $100 a week for full-time? (I have no idea what daycare costs anymore, I'm just guessing)

So they've got 5 kids, that's $500 per week or $26,000 a year. Yet someone who's making 4 times that will complain about how expensive it is to pay someone to basically raise your kid for you 10 hours a day.
Price and the center's expenses depend on the age of the child. In a commercial center, every two children under 18-mo requires an adult, with a maximum of 4 children and 2 adults occupying the same space/room/whatever. Every 3 children 18-24 mo. requires an adult. I don't remember how many in a room.

The amount you pay for your one infant has to cover half a person's salary, 25% of the toys, supplies, equipment, electricity, etc. for a room. One of those two people is probably a 16-yo making minimum wage. The other is probably between 18 & 20 and making a little more, but not much. The center also has to pay for training for those employees, as well as insurance (maybe), social security, etc.

As a result, many centers won't take infants. Those that do, are usually losing money on them in the hopes of attracting the older siblings or keeping the infants until they are older and more profitable.

Older kids can have more to a room, with fewer staff, so centers can afford to pay more to those employees and charge a little less to the parents.

Because centers can't afford to pay their employees much, they have high turnover. That causes expenses related to training, background checks, advertising for employees, etc. It's hard to strike a balance and make a profit. And the higher turnover in staff causes higher turnover in children, because they start to act up when their favorite caregiver leaves. It's all a juggling act.