Sacraficial Anodes

D

dems4me

I have a 1989 Mercury Force outboard 85hp. Where in the heck do I put the saraficial anode :shrug:. I've never had to deal with this before because I've always trailored it and not left it at the marina. I have had two or three boat savy people look at it and can't figure it out either and I don't want to drill new holes. This outboard has never had one on it anywhere so its not like I can see the screws and assume it rotted off or anything and just put it there. It looks like I will be having to drill holes or does the Force use a propnut anode instead? :confused:

Anyone have any suggestions short of me drilling holes? Can I glue it to the boat? I've exhaustively researched the intenet and all sites to no avail, then I find the anodes but don't see where I'm supposed to put it... on the fin? drill holes by the trim tab? prop nut? glue it somewhere? I've ordered a tear drop one about two months ago, it came in the mail and no instructinos. Can I just take string and tie it around the engine somewhere far from the prop :crazy: Anyone familiar with Mercury Force outboards? :shrug: :flowers:

this
dems4me said:
I have a 1989 Mercury Force outboard 85hp. Where in the heck do I put the saraficial anode :shrug:. I've never had to deal with this before because I've always trailored it and not left it at the marina. I have had two or three boat savy people look at it and can't figure it out either and I don't want to drill new holes. This outboard has never had one on it anywhere so its not like I can see the screws and assume it rotted off or anything and just put it there. It looks like I will be having to drill holes or does the Force use a propnut anode instead? :confused:

Anyone have any suggestions short of me drilling holes? Can I glue it to the boat? I've exhaustively researched the intenet and all sites to no avail, then I find the anodes but don't see where I'm supposed to put it... on the fin? drill holes by the trim tab? prop nut? glue it somewhere? I've ordered a tear drop one about two months ago, it came in the mail and no instructinos. Can I just take string and tie it around the engine somewhere far from the prop :crazy: Anyone familiar with Mercury Force outboards? :shrug: :flowers:
Anyplace on the motor mounts? It has to be hard connected to the metal of the motor or mount and below the water line.
Maybe this ?
And if that is the only thing you have and put the motor up while in the water the motor mounts will corrode.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

desertrat said:
this
Anyplace on the motor mounts? It has to be hard connected to the metal of the motor or mount and below the water line.
Maybe this ?
And if that is the only thing you have and put the motor up while in the water the motor mounts will corrode.

Either would work but it doesn't say where exactly I'd put it. There are no motor mounts unfortunately, I'd have to drill and I'm not wild about putting ANY holes in a boat or in its motor, I was wondering if the weight of it would throw anything off like steering or anything if its off to the side... :shrug: Maybe if I get two it would even out and make sure no salt gets in engine??? :shrug: I plan on puttnig the motor up when I'm not around, its salt water and would corrode quickly if it was to stay down in the water. What about gluing it on?? Is that an option?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Depending on which model and year, the Mercury Force has up to eight anodes in various places around the engine. It would be well worth the $$$ to have somebody who knows what they are doing check all of your anodes and replace the ones that need it.

PrepH4U

Electrical contact is essential
There is an unfortunate misconception that a sacrificial anode can be mounted anywhere, even hung over the side on a string, and it will still perform its appointed duty. That is dead wrong!

For a zinc anode to provide any protection, it must be in electrical contact with the metal being protected. The conductivity of the water is not adequate. We need low-resistance, metal-to-metal contact-either by mounting the zinc directly to the metal being protected or by con- necting the two with a wire. A hanging anode can provide protection if it is connected by a wire to the metal being protected.

Where the zinc is mounted directly to the protected metal-bolted to the side of a metal rudder, for example-it is essential to make sure the surface under the zinc is bare and bright before the anode is installed. This is to ensure good electrical contact.

:whistle:

D

dems4me

MMDad said:
Depending on which model and year, the Mercury Force has up to eight anodes in various places around the engine. It would be well worth the $$$ to have somebody who knows what they are doing check all of your anodes and replace the ones that need it.

:lol: if there was ANY anodes on it, I'd know what kind I'd need and where to put them and how many I need:lol: ... there are NONE on there, not even holes on there or screws or nothing. The engine is 17 years old. Its a 1989 Mercury Force 85 outboard.

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
no.
Do an online search on the make and model of your outboard. You might find an owners manual

I don't have it on me, I had it with me yesterday and last week to no avail and looked it up this weekend as well. Nothing. Oddly enough I was able to find a manual for my 85 Johnson thats a 1974 last year... but nothing on this.

D

dems4me

PrepH4U said:
Electrical contact is essential
There is an unfortunate misconception that a sacrificial anode can be mounted anywhere, even hung over the side on a string, and it will still perform its appointed duty. That is dead wrong!

For a zinc anode to provide any protection, it must be in electrical contact with the metal being protected. The conductivity of the water is not adequate. We need low-resistance, metal-to-metal contact-either by mounting the zinc directly to the metal being protected or by con- necting the two with a wire. A hanging anode can provide protection if it is connected by a wire to the metal being protected.

Where the zinc is mounted directly to the protected metal-bolted to the side of a metal rudder, for example-it is essential to make sure the surface under the zinc is bare and bright before the anode is installed. This is to ensure good electrical contact.

:whistle:

Wow that's what I basically wanted to know or if anyone has experience with a Mercury Force85 - thanks! :flowers:

MMDad

Lem Putt
dems4me said:
:lol: if there was ANY anodes on it, I'd know what kind I'd need and where to put them and how many I need:lol: ... there are NONE on there, not even holes on there or screws or nothing. The engine is 17 years old. Its a 1989 Mercury Force 85 outboard.
Look at the picture. This is typical anode placement for a Mercury Force.

Attachments

• Mercury-Big.gif
    Mercury-Big.gif
    54.2 KB · Views: 123
D

dems4me

MMDad said:
Look at the picture. This is typical anode placement for a Mercury Force.

Thanks, that would explain why I kept coming up with soo many different anodes and shapes and size :lol: That's the pic I need!! Thanks!! :flowers:

Should help with the current from the copper bottom I put on the boat this weekend :yay: :clap: Now.... after all that if I see any rust or barnacles on the boat, I'll be doing this -----> :banghead: IRL.. :lol:

dems4me said:
Thanks, that would explain why I kept coming up with soo many different anodes and shapes and size :lol: That's the pic I need!! Thanks!! :flowers:

Should help with the current from the copper bottom I put on the boat this weekend :yay: :clap: Now.... after all that if I see any rust or barnacles on the boat, I'll be doing this -----> :banghead: IRL.. :lol:
The link I sent showed the trim tab zinc. It's right behind the prop. Mark how it's located so you can put it back on the way it came off and pull it off. Should be zinc. if not you should be able to get one that is. So your motor is just held on the boat with clamps?

D

dems4me

desertrat said:
The link I sent showed the trim tab zinc. It's right behind the prop. Mark how it's located so you can put it back on the way it came off and pull it off. Should be zinc. if not you should be able to get one that is. So your motor is just held on the boat with clamps?

Yes... very sturdy transom clamps like this one...:shrug:

I gotta run, will look for response later tonight! :huggy: May even take piture of motor if it helps. :huggy:

Attachments

• 82bf_3.jpg
    82bf_3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 112
D

dems4me

Here's mine :shrug: But River did explain to me, I just need one anode and not all 8 that I was thinking from that chart :crazy: Thanks... :lol:

Attachments

• motor1.JPG
    motor1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 80
  • motor2.JPG
    motor2.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 86
  • motor3.JPG
    motor3.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 117
  • motor4.JPG
    motor4.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 100
  • motor5.JPG
    motor5.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 81
dems4me said:
Yes... very sturdy transom clamps like this one...:shrug:

I gotta run, will look for response later tonight! :huggy: May even take piture of motor if it helps. :huggy:
Dems,
You need to bolt your motor to the transom. Safety measure.

dems4me said:
Here's mine :shrug: But River did explain to me, I just need one anode and not all 8 that I was thinking from that chart :crazy: Thanks... :lol:
In picture 3 it looks like 3 holes just above the rod that trims the motor. Could be a good place to mount one on both sides. The mounts would be in the water all the time and you said you'd be tilting the motor up when not in use right? I sure don't see any zinc in those pix though.