L-Carnitine

warneckutz

I'm currently taking this on its own. It's found in all of the "latest and greatest" fat burners (Lipo-6, Hydroxycut Hardcore, GAT's Jet Fuel, etc...).

As a non-essential amino acid, it is supposed to help transport long-chain fatty acids so as to "provide muscular energy by burning fat".

Has anyone tried L-Carnitine on its own or stacked with other minerals, vitamins, BCAA's or fat burners?

Just curious. :coffee:

-ANT

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
warneckutz said:
I'm currently taking this on its own. It's found in all of the "latest and greatest" fat burners (Lipo-6, Hydroxycut Hardcore, GAT's Jet Fuel, etc...).

As a non-essential amino acid, it is supposed to help transport long-chain fatty acids so as to "provide muscular energy by burning fat".

Has anyone tried L-Carnitine on its own or stacked with other minerals, vitamins, BCAA's or fat burners?

-ANT
You seem to take a lot of drugs.

T

tikipirate

L-Carnitine does indeed aid the transport of long-chain fatty acids through the mitochondria to produce ATP. It is both synthesized by the body, as well as provided in animal foods. (Hint: CARNItine... carnivore... An animal that eats other animals.) Carnitine is provided within animal meat so that we may better digest it. One of those little miracles of nature.

Unless you have some (rare) abnormality with absorption or manufacturing of amino acids, you would probably be better served to spend your money at Lone Star. The Cajun rib-eye is my supplement of choice.

warneckutz

tikipirate said:
L-Carnitine does indeed aid the transport of long-chain fatty acids through the mitochondria to produce ATP. It is both synthesized by the body, as well as provided in animal foods. (Hint: CARNItine... carnivore... An animal that eats other animals.) Carnitine is provided within animal meat so that we may better digest it. One of those little miracles of nature.

Unless you have some (rare) abnormality with absorption or manufacturing of amino acids, you would probably be better served to spend your money at Lone Star. The Cajun rib-eye is my supplement of choice.

Interesting that you should point out the red meat factor because that's exactly why I purchased a bottle. My current diet excludes red meats (no matter how lean) since it's tough to get ALL the fat out. So, it's fish and chicken for now and moving on to boiled chicken pretty soon which isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Thanks for the input.

lkt

curly-locks
you can also supplement with gnc whey protein, there is an awesome book called "protein Power" by michael eddes that covers a lot of info on the protein/ weight loss or muscle building theory.

And yes, L-carnitine does burn fat

warneckutz

lkt said:
you can also supplement with gnc whey protein, there is an awesome book called "protein Power" by michael eddes that covers a lot of info on the protein/ weight loss or muscle building theory.

And yes, L-carnitine does burn fat

I've tried the GNC brand, it's OK. I stocked up on Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard, BSN's Syntha-6, AST's VP2, CytoSport's Muscle Milk & Complete Whey.

I pretty much mix a scoop of Optimum's Whey with a scoop of another brand, pretty tasty. :yay:

B

Big Fatty

L-Carnitine L-Tartrate — What's That?

Safety Measures of L-Carnitine L-Tartrate Supplementation in Healthy Men (Rubin et al).

For those of you who don't know, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate is a commercially available, new-fangled carnitine supplement (L-Carnipure) that's been shown to have some interesting recovery properties. In a study published last year, this nutritional supplement, at a dose of 2g/day for 3 weeks, was shown to reduce the amount of muscle disruption, as measured by an MRI scan, after a squat workout consisting of 5 sets of 20 repetitions (Volek et al, Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2002 Feb; 282(2): E474-82).

The supplement also: reduced the rise in circulating markers of muscle damage after exercise, reduced the rise in energy substrate breakdown during and after exercise, reduced muscle soreness after exercise, and reduced the rise in oxidative damage after exercise (all of these changes were seen when compared to placebo administration).

The authors speculated that since carnitine concentrations in blood cells (endothelial cells) may decrease during exercise (this decrease leading to compromised blood flow and oxygen delivery to the muscle), carnitine supplementation might improve muscle blood flow and oxygen delivery.
In this follow up study, the authors measured the safety of this carnitine supplement and found that 3 weeks of supplementation at 3g per day did not alter any of the clinical chemistry values measured. In other words, it had no effect on liver or kidney function or any other system as reflected by complete blood profiles.

Despite past research that had not been positive, l-carnitine supplements have remained popular. Since previous research examined only a narrow hypothesis (carnitine could increase fatty acid transport into the mitochondrion, leading to increased aerobic performance and increased fat burning), these new data might offer some support for it's popular use. In other words, this supplement may be worth a try if recovery is what you're after. Just remember, its effects may not be acute, therefore, a single dose will probably do nothing for you.

Taken from http://www.johnberardi.com/

B

Big Fatty

warneckutz said:
Interesting that you should point out the red meat factor because that's exactly why I purchased a bottle. My current diet excludes red meats (no matter how lean) since it's tough to get ALL the fat out. So, it's fish and chicken for now and moving on to boiled chicken pretty soon which isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Thanks for the input.

Is it a personal choice to exclude red meat or something else?

B

Big Fatty

tikipirate said:

Well put. Most supplements suck. Invest your money in other things.

BlackSheep

warneckutz said:

-ANT
Sufferin from Asthenozoospermia?? :confused:
FYI-There are only 2 manufacturers in the world who make pharmaceutical grade acetyl-l-carnitine. They are Sigma Tau Health Sciences (BiosintTM) and Lonza (L-CarnipureTM). Non-brand ALC is made in China :jameo: and much less expensive.

warneckutz

BlackSheep said:
Sufferin from Asthenozoospermia?? :confused:
FYI-There are only 2 manufacturers in the world who make pharmaceutical grade acetyl-l-carnitine. They are Sigma Tau Health Sciences (BiosintTM) and Lonza (L-CarnipureTM). Non-brand ALC is made in China :jameo: and much less expensive.

Dieting for the next 2 months, just looking for people who've used some of the supplements for shedding excess fat.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
warneckutz said:

Thanks for the input.
Man I have to give you credit, I would never diet like that or take tons of supplements. I guess when you have a goal you gotta do what you gotta do.....

PS if anyone every hears of me doing this please :smack: me. I know some hardcore power lifters and I will not limit the way I live just for that

warneckutz

Magnum said:
Man I have to give you credit, I would never diet like that or take tons of supplements. I guess when you have a goal you gotta do what you gotta do.....

PS if anyone every hears of me doing this please :smack: me. I know some hardcore power lifters and I will not limit the way I live just for that

Oh, I love it though! :yay: I've never dieted like this before and the changes are pretty intense! I can't imagine doing this for too long of a period but I figured I'd set a goal and see how I do.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
warneckutz said:
Oh, I love it though! :yay: I've never dieted like this before and the changes are pretty intense! I can't imagine doing this for too long of a period but I figured I'd set a goal and see how I do.
I hear you. I started back in December. Started eating better... cut out fast food, sodas and stuff like that. It does feel great to see the changes but I do not have the desire to go much further than I already have. I do not want to get too skinny or put on too much mass.

warneckutz

Magnum said:
I hear you. I started back in December. Started eating better... cut out fast food, sodas and stuff like that. It does feel great to see the changes but I do not have the desire to go much further than I already have. I do not want to get too skinny or put on too much mass.

I'm trying to hold on to what I have and just drop as much bodyfat as possible. Sitting around 9-9.5%bf right now.

It's a total change in eating habits though. Every 2 hours I have some sort of meal or shake. I only have carbs twice a day though (once for breakfast - 1/2 cup oatmeal; lunch is half a sweet potato) and the rest is some sort of protein (chicken or fish OR a shake) and lots of veggies.

I spend about 1-2 hours every couple of days preparing my meals which would last me 2-3 days.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
warneckutz said:
I'm trying to hold on to what I have and just drop as much bodyfat as possible. Sitting around 9-9.5%bf right now.

It's a total change in eating habits though. Every 2 hours I have some sort of meal or shake. I only have carbs twice a day though (once for breakfast - 1/2 cup oatmeal; lunch is half a sweet potato) and the rest is some sort of protein (chicken or fish OR a shake) and lots of veggies.

I spend about 1-2 hours every couple of days preparing my meals which would last me 2-3 days.
I have never checked my BF %. I have some Protein bars that I keep in my car and usually eat one a day when I'm on the road.

warneckutz

Magnum said:
I have never checked my BF %. I have some Protein bars that I keep in my car and usually eat one a day when I'm on the road.

What type of protein bars do you eat?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
warneckutz said:

Thanks for the input.
Try tofu.