Area flu bug?

saddlemount

Mudslinger
Last week our 9 year old came down with a very sore throat and high (103+) fever. He missed almost the entire week and is out again today, although seems to be slowly improving. The Doctor wasn't much help, said it was not strep, did not prescribe antibiotics or anything so we're basically just treating the symptoms (gargling, motrin, cough syrup, etc.) They did a blood test thinking it might be mono but we don't have the results yet.

My throat got a little sore over the weekend but it's OK today. Now our 13 year old has developed a bad cough (although not the high fever) so we kept him home today although though he HATES missing school.

My sister mentioned that her friend's granddaughter went through a week of the same sore throat/high fever symptoms - she's in the Northern Va area.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any idea what it could be?

jenbengen

Watch it
Probably just a virus- no real cure for that except letting it "run it's course" as they say. No need to prescribe medication when it has no effect. Sorry you are all sick. Haven't seen anything around here...but I'm sure saying we are all healthy means we will all be sick tomorrow. That's how it goes, right?

saddlemount

Mudslinger
hotmomma said:
Antibiotics do not help if it is a viral infection

I know I know. But.. antibiotics notwithstanding, a doctor can prescribe or recommend something to treat the symptoms more effectively than we can by simply running down to CVS and reading the labels on all the medicine. We're trying to follow up there but not having much luck. We still haven't even gotten the blood test results back. He's already missed a week of school and is out again today, so I'm feeling like either he needs to get better or we need to put him in the hospital but we can't keep going day with no improvement and no diagnosis.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
A week is a long time for a kid to be sick. Maybe you need to keep calling the office and asking about the results so they stay on top of it. Can't see it taking over 2 days to get results. I never have to wait a week.

saddlemount

Mudslinger
hotmomma said:
A week is a long time for a kid to be sick. Maybe you need to keep calling the office and asking about the results so they stay on top of it. Can't see it taking over 2 days to get results. I never have to wait a week.

Yea we're trying! Apparently there's only one doctor and one nurse in today. It's very annoying - you'd think even if it is a virus and has to run its course, they can prescribe something to make the poor kid more comfortable. After all he's the doctor.. wouldn't he have (or hear about) other families with similar conditions? We can't be the only ones in SOMD with this whatever-it-is.

Toxick

Splat
saddlemount said:
Last week our 9 year old came down with a very sore throat and high (103+) fever. He missed almost the entire week and is out again today, although seems to be slowly improving. The Doctor wasn't much help, said it was not strep, did not prescribe antibiotics or anything so we're basically just treating the symptoms (gargling, motrin, cough syrup, etc.) They did a blood test thinking it might be mono but we don't have the results yet.

If it's a virus, that's about all you can do. There's no way to kill it, like an infection. You just have to let it run its course, and make it as painless as possible.

saddlemount said:

My two younger ones both had it. Poor little guys were so hot they made me sweat just holding them. After a day and a half, they were back to running amok.

About the only thing I gave them was some Kids Cough Syrup to keep them from yacking up a lung.

saddlemount

Mudslinger
Toxick said:
My two younger ones both had it. Poor little guys were so hot they made me sweat just holding them. After a day and a half, they were back to running amok.

About the only thing I gave them was some Kids Cough Syrup to keep them from yacking up a lung.

Thanks Toxick! Sounds like you must have had the "lite" version of whatever this is, my little guy has been over a week and is still whispering today because his throat hurts. Sorry (to everyone) I've been venting my frustration in this forum!

Toxick

Splat
saddlemount said:
Thanks Toxick! Sounds like you must have had the "lite" version of whatever this is, my little guy has been over a week and is still whispering today because his throat hurts. Sorry (to everyone) I've been venting my frustration in this forum!

I think I got off easy this time with the bug coming and going within a couple of days.

LAST time, however, was a different story - my youngest - not potty-trained mind you - had it for over a week. And it was accompanied by explosive diarrhea.

THAT was a fun week.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
saddlemount said:

My 13 y.o. has had several bouts of viral pharyngitis which tends to present a bit worse than a typical virus i.e. higher fever, longer time span, more malaise, etc. However, I would think after one week he should start to be feeling better. Hound your doctor tomorrow via phone for the Monospot test results. In the meantime, make sure your son stays hydrated with fluids and if he's having trouble swallowing entice him with popsickles, jello, the usual. Keep up with the acetominophen and/or ibuprofen for fever (both can be taken together since they work in a different manner, call nurse for specifics) and do whatever you can to keep him comfortable. It's miserable watching your child be miserable! :frown: HTH and good luck!

barncat

saddlemount said:

My throat got a little sore over the weekend but it's OK today. Now our 13 year old has developed a bad cough (although not the high fever) so we kept him home today although though he HATES missing school.

My sister mentioned that her friend's granddaughter went through a week of the same sore throat/high fever symptoms - she's in the Northern Va area.

When I had mono I went through a week of misery before the doctors diagnosed it correctly, all the same symptons you described. Once I started the penicillin, I was better in 2 days. Press to get the results of the mono test.

I hope your little one feels better soon.