Hubby needs a mechanic

M

Mousebaby

Does anyone know of a mechanic that does U-joint work that won't take us to the cleaners? We live in Lexington Park. :popcorn:

Pete

Repete
Mousebaby said:
Does anyone know of a mechanic that does U-joint work that won't take us to the cleaners? We live in Lexington Park. :popcorn:
U joints are easy. Is he just not mechanically inclined?

M

Mousebaby

You could say that. He sits at a computer all day. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
Mousebaby said:
You could say that. He sits at a computer all day. :shrug:
So do I but when I have a task like that I stay at the Holiday Inn Express over at Solomons the night before and PRESTO, everything is easy. :diva:

Just about anyplace can do it and it should not be too costly. If it is not drivable you will have to have it towed.

Mousebaby said:
"Thatkid" has quite a bit of experience in that dept. Give him a pmer. What kind of car?

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Pete said:
U joints are easy. Is he just not mechanically inclined?
Most are easy. My old Ramcharger had some stupid knuckle with 3 or 4 u-joints packed in it. I think it was for the front driveshaft.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Its a fairly painless job depending on the car. Million and one websites dedicated to replacement of car parts. Just type in Type car and U-joint replacement. The guys at Southern Tire have been very good about taking care of my car when it comes to tires and I know they do other work as well. Might want to give them a ring. I just got my 274000 mile Honda inspected which opened me up for all kinds of hits and Hewitts only got me for tires and the technician was very amiable and seemed knowledgable enough.

Last edited:
M

Mousebaby

Its a 94 Ford F150 4x4 and he really doesn't want to do it himself. He's afraid he might screw it up somehow. I appreciate all the reply's, it gives me several options. We used to have my dad up here to help but he recently moved back to TN to retire. So no more help here. I will tell hubby what everyone said. Thanks again! :huggy:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Mousebaby said:
Its a 94 Ford F150 4x4 and he really doesn't want to do it himself. He's afraid he might screw it up somehow. I appreciate all the reply's, it gives me several options. We used to have my dad up here to help but he recently moved back to TN to retire. So no more help here. I will tell hubby what everyone said. Thanks again! :huggy:
Is it just the rear joints or are the front ones gone too?

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Mousebaby said:
Its the joint right before the differential. :popcorn:
Those are easy to change. Just don't let it go too long. If they break they could mess up the driveshaft. I had one break on my Ram, I limped it home like a dummy, wound up reaming out the holes on the driveshaft, good thing is I found a shop that built me a replacement and I never had another U joint go out again :yay:

M

Mousebaby

Magnum said:
Those are easy to change. Just don't let it go too long. If they break they could mess up the driveshaft. I had one break on my Ram, I limped it home like a dummy, wound up reaming out the holes on the driveshaft, good thing is I found a shop that built me a replacement and I never had another U joint go out again :yay:

:shocking: That is not good! He HAS to drive it to work everyday. There is no getting around it. I don't know what to do! :jameo:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Mousebaby said:
:shocking: That is not good! He HAS to drive it to work everyday. There is no getting around it. I don't know what to do! :jameo:
How bad is it? I mean usually if it's slapping around a bit it's not that bad, when you hear the grind and whine thats when you really have to worry. Since it's 4x4 if it does break he can pull the rear drive shaft out and drive it with the front... This is not meant to be driven like this far, Not good running 4x4 on pavement but works in a bind

M

Mousebaby

It's already got the whine to it. This is so not good. We are broke at the moment. I guess it's time for him to get his bike out, and I don't mean motorcycle. :bawl:

My bad, he says its chirping. What does that mean?

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Mousebaby said:
It's already got the whine to it. This is so not good. We are broke at the moment. I guess it's time for him to get his bike out, and I don't mean motorcycle. :bawl:

My bad, he says its chirping. What does that mean?
Ummm, he might mean when he puts it in gear there is a little slap and it chirps the tires?? Not sure. Usually U-joints are under $20 from what I can remember. Not sure about Ford's never worked on them. Where are yall at?

M

Mousebaby

In the Park. I know the part isn't that expensive, but he says he wants to take it to a mechanic. That's where the money comes in. He just told me not to worry, that it will be fine. So I'm gonna take his word for it. What else can I do. :shrug:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Mousebaby said:
In the Park. I know the part isn't that expensive, but he says he wants to take it to a mechanic. That's where the money comes in. He just told me not to worry, that it will be fine. So I'm gonna take his word for it. What else can I do. :shrug:
I guess not much. It's only going to take a mechanic about 20 min. to change it and most shops I think have a 2 hr minimum charge. Try to shop around for one that has no minimum.