I find this disturbing-

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
20% of kids under 2 have a TV in their bedroom! In addition to the youngest group, 43% of 3-4 yr olds have TVs in their rooms too! :jameo:

WTH?

The telephone survey, among the first in-depth looks at the viewing habits of very young children, indicates that many parents have ignored or are unaware of pediatric guidelines recommending limits on kids' TV time.

Asked why they put TVs in their children's bedrooms, most parents said it was so they and other family members could watch their own shows!

Do your wee ones have a TV in their bedroom? If so, at what age did your child get one? :popcorn:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
My girls will be double digits (10) this summer and they have never had a tv in their bedrooms nor have they ever had a computer in their rooms.

mamissa3

My oldest is 6 He asked for a TV and i told him NO WAY!! I didnt have a tv in my room until i was 19.:)

sunflower

Loving My Life...
My son is 11 and he has a TV in his room. He might watch it an hour a day. The rest of the time hes outside playing.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
My son (8) has a TV and a computer in his room. It was either put them there or toss them.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I can remember having the old Black and White TV with about 4 stations, that you had to get up and change :jameo: :lmao:

I was about 13 or so When I got my own TV

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I have a 12 year old and a 5 year old. Neither have a TV, computer or phone in their room. Neither will EVER have a TV or computer in their room and they know that. Maybe a phone -- but since we have a cordless phone, I don't really see why they need one in their room. And they aren't getting their own phone lines!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Fubar said:
20% of kids under 2 have a TV in their bedroom! In addition to the youngest group, 43% of 3-4 yr olds have TVs in their rooms too! :jameo:

WTH?
What's the big deal? Say mom is running the vacuum and the child wants to watch Barney or something. It is much easier for the child to do so in his/her room vs. the family room.

My daughter is 10 and she's had a tv in her room for years. She plays her PS2, Guitar Hero, DDR, lots of things...:shrug:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Chasey_Lane said:
What's the big deal? Say mom is running the vacuum and the child wants to watch Barney or something. It is much easier for the child to do so in his/her room vs. the family room.

My daughter is 10 and she's had a tv in her room for years. She plays her PS2, Guitar Hero, DDR, lots of things...:shrug:

:smack: I wish you'd quit being sensible.

BlackSheep

I'm all for increasing a childs gray matter and but at 2 or less-sounds like a cheap babysitter to me. Guess it's no difference than daddy or mama sleeping on the sofa and plopping the kid down in front of the TV...but at 2 yrs old- :jameo:

Chasey_Lane said:

:yeahthat: Both of mine have had a TV and VCR/DVD player in their room for years. Neither watch much TV, but when they do want to watch a show, video or play PS2 they have the option to do so in their room. They are 12 and (almost) 15 now and there has been no detrimental affect. Neither is a couch potato and neither has increased their game/TV time over the years... but the age of 2 seems silly.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My kids didn't get TV in their room until they were in high school.

I don't know as a TV is such a big deal - mine was that the computer had to be in a common area so we could keep an eye on what they were doing online. Not that we hovered over them like hawks, so not sure how effective it really was. But they're all still alive, so :shrug:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
My little one has a TV in her playroom but not her bedroom and she is 28 months. She asks to watch before she goes to bed but has no kind of hideous attachment to it. I grew up watching Seasame Street, Mr.Rogers, Zoom, and the Electric Company and I don't drive up and down 235 like the lone Ranger Whacker!!!! :lmao: Guess I am okay.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Bustem' Down said:
I never had a tv or computer in my room.

Neither did I until I was like 17, but times have changed. We would spend all day outside making trails and exploring in the woods for hours at a time. Mom and Dad didn't have to worry about us back then.

Pandora

I bought the first TV I ever had in my bedroom. I was 17 at the time.

Both my children have TVs. TVs just are not the big deal they used to be when I was younger, plus, it gives me something to take away when they don't do as they are told.

bcp

In My Opinion
I didnt have a tv or computer in my room when I was growing up either.
But I did have an Ecth-O-Sketch. (that was the 1960s computer monitor)

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I've no children to speak for - but this does bring up an intersting thought... I can't recall one way or another the presence of a TV (I definitely remember phone issues) - but I can definitely tell you that I usually have to have something on while I sleep. :confused: :electronicnurturing:

M

missperky

sunflower said:
Neither did I until I was like 17, but times have changed. We would spend all day outside making trails and exploring in the woods for hours at a time. Mom and Dad didn't have to worry about us back then.

:lmao: