Poor Groundhog

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
We have LOTS of groundhogs in the christmas tree field and the dogs chased a big fat one up a tree in my yard this afternoon. I didn't even know groundhogs could climb. :confused:

The dogs and me are inside now but the poor little scared thing is still there. Can he climb down by himself?

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Pasofever said:
I did not know they could climb either...poke him down with a stick lol

That was a joke wasn't it? :lol: I tried it though.

He squeeled at me. I ran.

I think I'll just leave him alone.

But do you think he can get down by himself? Poor little thing.

Our landlord said to shoot any and all we see....but I won't let B do that. :nono:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
MysticalMom said:
That was a joke wasn't it? :lol: I tried it though.

He squeeled at me. I ran.

I think I'll just leave him alone.

But do you think he can get down by himself? Poor little thing.

Our landlord said to shoot any and all we see....but I won't let B do that. :nono:

Got a video?? :killingme

oldman

Lobster Land
MysticalMom said:
We have LOTS of groundhogs in the christmas tree field and the dogs chased a big fat one up a tree in my yard this afternoon. I didn't even know groundhogs could climb. :confused:

The dogs and me are inside now but the poor little scared thing is still there. Can he climb down by himself?

Wow. I've known some groundhogs in my time and would never ever believe they could climb a tree. They dig some pretty big holes that can be dangerous driving over on a tractor. Always been my practice to use them as target practice because I don't know of anything good they do.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
oldman said:
Wow. I've known some groundhogs in my time and would never ever believe they could climb a tree. They dig some pretty big holes that can be dangerous driving over on a tractor. Always been my practice to use them as target practice because I don't know of anything good they do.

I've never seen one climb either. But when I called my dad to ask him what to do (he told me to shoot it. :ohwell:) he said he's seen them on the roof of his barns before.

I

Inkpen

MysticalMom said:
I've never seen one climb either. But when I called my dad to ask him what to do (he told me to shoot it. :ohwell:) he said he's seen them on the roof of his barns before.

Groundhougs, or woodchucks are harmless, do not carry rabies and live in family groups.
When scared, they will run up a tree.
Like cats, they do not "back down" a tree well.
Find a plank or log and prop it up near the woodchuck and allow it time to turn around and scamper down the tree.
If you shot it, you may just hurt it and not kill it.
Then a wildlife rehabber will have to come out, rescue the animal and deal with a wounded animal. Something a rehabber would not care to do.
Give it a means to escape, use the hose if needed and let it go in peace.
Thanks...
A wildlife rehabber

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Inkpen said:
Groundhougs, or woodchucks are harmless, do not carry rabies and live in family groups.
When scared, they will run up a tree.
Like cats, they do not "back down" a tree well.
Find a plank or log and prop it up near the woodchuck and allow it time to turn around and scamper down the tree.
If you shot it, you may just hurt it and not kill it.
Then a wildlife rehabber will have to come out, rescue the animal and deal with a wounded animal. Something a rehabber would not care to do.
Give it a means to escape, use the hose if needed and let it go in peace.
Thanks...
A wildlife rehabber

I would never ever ever ever, nor would I ever let anyone shoot it!

Going to try the plank thing. It's in a small dogwood tree and we have some old lumber in the garage.

I

Inkpen

MysticalMom said:

Going to try the plank thing. It's in a small dogwood tree and we have some old lumber in the garage.

Thank You!!!
and the groundhog thanks you too. :flowers:

oldman

Lobster Land
Inkpen said:
Thank You!!!
and the groundhog thanks you too. :flowers:

IP, can you tell me what good they do? I'm not being smart, just wanting to know. In my experience I cannot think of a single thing they contribute to but a few bad things they cause. Aren't they allowed to be killed 365 days a year? Just seems to me if there was any value to them DNR would put some restrictions on them. Just asking in hopes I'll learn something else I"m not aware of.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You could always help him...

MysticalMom said:

...down.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
oopsie...

Larry Gude said:

...never mind. He'll have to work this out on his own. Thirst and hunger get awful powerful. They are #1 motivators...right after getting away from dogs.

I

Inkpen

oldman said:
IP, can you tell me what good they do? I'm not being smart, just wanting to know. In my experience I cannot think of a single thing they contribute to but a few bad things they cause. Aren't they allowed to be killed 365 days a year? Just seems to me if there was any value to them DNR would put some restrictions on them. Just asking in hopes I'll learn something else I"m not aware of.

Fur bearing animals such as otter, mink and beaver are now considered pest species because they are of no value to Maryland. No one is trapping them in a manner that brings profit to MD, so their numbers are on the rise and are considered pests.
Takes special permission to rehab one.
Property owners with ponds and beavers,,only 2 means to deal with problem, kill them or leave them there.

Groundhogs are not a pest species, do not damage property, (digging holes for denning not considered damage) many den up in fox holes or skunk dens.
They winter over becasue pf the lack of a food supply.
Mainly eat veggies and a few grubs and bugs.
Fur/pelt not worth anything, never has been. So groundhogs are just left alone unless it is injured.
Basically, they are big rodents and of no value as a commerical product.

I

Inkpen

oldman said:

Check this out: http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mammals/woodchuck/

oldman

Lobster Land
Inkpen said:

Thanks. To me it pretty much sums up what I thought, they aren't worth having around especially on a farm. I'm not anti on animals but as I said earlier their holes in a field can be dangerous to a tractor driver not to mention they can and do eat some of the crop. Maybe we need to tame them and keep them as pets because they are neat looking rodents - very large rats!