Disney

H

hborror

I have booked my vaca to Disney for Dec 1st and by that time my baby will be 9 months. I am now wondering if it's a bad idea to take a 9 month old to Disney? My other daughter will almost be 6 so I know it's the perfect time for her. Has anyone taken a baby this young to Disney before?

hborror said:
I have booked my vaca to Disney for Dec 1st and by that time my baby will be 9 months. I am now wondering if it's a bad idea to take a 9 month old to Disney? My other daughter will almost be 6 so I know it's the perfect time for her. Has anyone taken a baby this young to Disney before?
I distinctly recall pointing and laughing at the parents that "thought" it was a great idea to bring infants and toddlers to the Disney parks. Between the cranking kids, not knowing what to do with the strollers for some of the exhibits, and the fact that they couldn't do the majority of rides/exhibits with a baby in tow made most all of them seem pretty miserable. But isn't this a little too late to be worrying about it if you already booked it...:confused:

Elle

Happy Camper!
hborror said:
nope, they have child swap passes so everyone can take turns riding with DD and still have someone sit off with the 9mo old. Just remember sun protection and in December it will propably get a little chilly (we went in November and needed jackets on our last night). We're going back next April. Intercot Our son was 6 when we went and it was the perfect age, old enough to enjoy it but young enough to still believe in all the magic.

Elle said:
nope, they have child swap passes so everyone can take turns riding with DD and still have someone sit off with the 9mo old. Just remember sun protection and in December it will propably get a little chilly (we went in November and needed jackets on our last night). We're going back next April. Intercot Our son was 6 when we went and it was the perfect age, old enough to enjoy it but young enough to still believe in all the magic.
If your son was 6 when you went, where'd you get the baby from...:confused:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I still believe in the magic and I am much older than 6. I think the perfect age would be 16. Old enough to not need a nap. Still able to enjoy everything. And old enough that you don't have to babysit 24/7

Elle

Happy Camper!
kwillia said:
I distinctly recall pointing and laughing at the parents that "thought" it was a great idea to bring infants and toddlers to the Disney parks. Between the cranking kids, not knowing what to do with the strollers for some of the exhibits, and the fact that they couldn't do the majority of rides/exhibits with a baby in tow made most all of them seem pretty miserable. But isn't this a little too late to be worrying about it if you already booked it...:confused:
See I disagree, I think any vacation is what you make of it. I research everything to death so I'm knowledgeable but don't go with a commando style of touring. I like to know my options and then as a family we each choose a couple must sees and we make sure to find time for those things, everything else is just gravy on top. You will never see all and do all at Disney with our without a baby in tow. Just be sure to know what’s up and be flexible, if the kids (even the 6 y/o) need a break, go back to the hotel for a nap or find a park bench to sit on and just people watch, do a show, what ever floats your boat.

And I think a 9 mo old is better than a toddler b/c toddlers are mobile, a 9 mo old is usually still portable (mine did walk days before turning 9 months old but still would sit in the stroller so if we went places I didn’t have to play chase).

Vince

Took the kids to Disneyland in Ca. Son was 1 and daughter was 3. Big mistake. Besides them not remembering any of it, an infant at Disney is a very bad idea. You don't enjoy anything. Wait till the kids are much older or find someone to babysit and take the 6 year old.

Elle said:
See I disagree, I think any vacation is what you make of it. I research everything to death so I'm knowledgeable but don't go with a commando style of touring. I like to know my options and then as a family we each choose a couple must sees and we make sure to find time for those things, everything else is just gravy on top. You will never see all and do all at Disney with our without a baby in tow. Just be sure to know what’s up and be flexible, if the kids (even the 6 y/o) need a break, go back to the hotel for a nap or find a park bench to sit on and just people watch, do a show, what ever floats your boat.

And I think a 9 mo old is better than a toddler b/c toddlers are mobile, a 9 mo old is usually still portable (mine did walk days before turning 9 months old but still would sit in the stroller so if we went places I didn’t have to play chase).
It was VERY noticeable that the vast majority of parents with infants or toddlers were not happy. We spent a week in Orlando and hit parks daily and each day I saw the same thing in parents with small children.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
kwillia said:
It was VERY noticeable that the vast majority of parents with infants or toddlers were not happy. We spent a week in Orlando and hit parks daily and each day I saw the same thing in parents with small children.
:yeahthat: I just laughed. I thought it was funny, I mean really how many kids that young are going to remember

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
No way I'd take kids under 10.

Bug had an absolute blast and she was a real trooper when we went for her 5th birthday, just the two of us. We both have VERY fond memories of that trip.

Elle

Happy Camper!
kwillia said:
If your son was 6 when you went, where'd you get the baby from...:confused:
rent a kid:shrug:

no we didn't travel to Disney with a baby but we've always done "family" vacations with T since he was born, he's never limited us from not going some place, we always just readjusted according to his moods. Maybe I've never really paid attention to it but even when we went T had a melt down one day so we just chilled for a while to give him some down time and then went back to enjoying our day at the park, it didn't ruin our vacation. He wasn't tall enough to ride some rides so we just moved on or hubby and I took turns riding on our own while the other did something fun with him. He's never liked loud noises so I never planned to stop and watch the fireworks, we ended up viewing them from the sky on Aladdin’s magic carpets and he loved them but never wanted to just sit and watch, and it didn't ruin our trip at all.
On our trip next April we'll be going with a 1 y/o, and two 2 y/o’s. Granted we won’t be spending every waking moment together but I don’t think they will limit us much. I don't think she should miss out on this once in a lifetime chance for the 6y/o just b/c she also has a smaller sibling.

rack'm

Jaded
I took my demons when there were 4 and 5.....

They had a blast and don't remember a single thing now. :lol:

We're going back in July, hopefully they'll remember it this time.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
RoseRed said:
Bug had an absolute blast and she was a real trooper when we went for her 5th birthday, just the two of us. We both have VERY fond memories of that trip.

How old is she now? I doubt she will remember much when she's older unless she goes back.

Disney is about so much more than Magic Kingdom. I just don't think the younger kids can appreciate everything Disney has to offer until they're older.

My kids were 11, 16 & 18...perfect ages in my opinon. The could go on any ride or attraction they chose, didn't have temper tantrums and if Ott and I chose to sit out something, the kids were fine alone.

H

hborror

Yeah I did book actually booked 3 months ago and it's almost paid off BUT now it's bothering me and I could always cancel and get my money back. When I got the DVD I see that have all this neat stuff for my older one and I would hate for her to miss out on that stuff (what 16 year old would want to go to the princess salon :lmao: ) but then on the other hand 9 month I would have to use the yukky diaper changers and stop and feed every 3 hours. I do like the take turn thing with the park rides.

Elle

Happy Camper!
cattitude said:
Disney is about so much more than Magic Kingdom. I just don't think the younger kids can appreciate everything Disney has to offer until they're older.
T's favorite park was EPCOT, he's already decided that we have to make that our first park we visit on our next trip. I'm not saying older kids don't have fun at Disney too, it's just a different type of fun, at 9 when we return, he's not going to think he's meeting Mickey Mouse, he know's it's just some college kid in a suit.

bthompson

I just got back from Disney (Magic Kingdom) two weeks ago, my husband and I took our 4 year old and our 8 month old, we were able to take the baby on most of the rides and they have a stroller parking area at each ride, on some rides I did not feel comfortable having the baby ride either my husband or I would sit that one out with the baby. I would definitely do it again, although I can't say for any other part of Disney we only went for one day.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
hborror said:
Yeah I did book actually booked 3 months ago and it's almost paid off BUT now it's bothering me and I could always cancel and get my money back. When I got the DVD I see that have all this neat stuff for my older one and I would hate for her to miss out on that stuff (what 16 year old would want to go to the princess salon :lmao: ) but then on the other hand 9 month I would have to use the yukky diaper changers and stop and feed every 3 hours. I do like the take turn thing with the park rides.
I keep trying to go to the princess salon. I also wanted to go to the Princess party, but I wasn't there durning that time..

Elle

Happy Camper!
hborror said:
what 16 year old would want to go to the princess salon :lmao:
BTW, they are opening a new BBB in the Magic Kingdom along with the one at Downtown Disney so now there will be 2.