Looking for a babysitter for the summer

kalmd

I'm looking for a babysitter to watch my kids during the summer, while school's out. I'm thinking an older teen who is looking for a summer job. I need someone who can come to my house. I'm in the Mechanicsville area. My son is 11 and my daughter is 13, but my daughter has cerebral palsy which complicates things. She needs to be dressed, wears a diaper and needs help feeding.

My daughter will be attending a summer camp during 6 weeks out of the summer, so during that time I will just need the sitter to get her ready in the morning, then a bus will pick her up and she'll be gone most of the day. So, it'll mostly just be my son during those weeks and he basically takes care of himself.

We've been fortunate in the past to have a family member able to watch them, but that isn't an option this summer.

If anyone here knows anyone, please respond or pm me.

Thanks!

K

Kain99

What about Respite Care or services through ARC? You may need to look at in home nursing. I know you don't want to trust your baby to just anyone. :huggy:

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
Kain99 said:
What about Respite Care or services through ARC? You may need to look at in home nursing. I know you don't want to trust your baby to just anyone. :huggy:

But what about the son? :confused:

sockgirl77

EmnJoe said:
11 is too young for that kind of responsibility. IMHO
:yeahthat: I would not trust anyone unlicensed to take care of a special needs child. Not even a high school age teen is responsible enough for that. :shrug:

kalmd

EmnJoe said:
11 is too young for that kind of responsibility. IMHO

I think she meant who would watch the son, not what about my son watching her. (at least I hope so)

I've gotten the numbers for ARC, Center for Life Enrichment, and UCP of SoMd and I'll check into them to see if they offer in home daily services.

kalmd

sockgirl77 said:
:yeahthat: I would not trust anyone unlicensed to take care of a special needs child. Not even a high school age teen is responsible enough for that. :shrug:

That's probably true for a lot of high schoolers, but not all. I know a lot of the high schoolers who volunteer at special olympics seem responsible and dependable.

There could be a high schooler out there who is thinking of a career working with the disabled or a special education teacher and this could be a good opportunity for them.

Geek

kalmd said:
That's probably true for a lot of high schoolers, but not all. I know a lot of the high schoolers who volunteer at special olympics seem responsible and dependable.

There could be a high schooler out there who is thinking of a career working with the disabled or a special education teacher and this could be a good opportunity for them.

Wow. I would never let my girl be a high schoolers' training tool. If you choose this route make sure that they have taken CPR and First Aid classes at the very least.

Geek said:
Wow. I would never let my girl be a high schoolers' training tool. If you choose this route make sure that they have taken CPR and First Aid classes at the very least.
Don't be so quick to discredit a high schooler. I seriously doubt kalmd is going to hire the first bubble blowing, text messaging teen that says show me the money.

Kevlar

kalmd said:

People in the CSM nursing program might also be a possibility. You could try them.

I had to take care of a CP sibling while I was in high school. Not fun, but it is feasible. If we can trust a teen with 3,000 lbs. of car, why not taking care of another human?