Bluebirds

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The babies in my bluebird box have hatched. :yahoo: I can only (slightly) hear them, but momma's been very busy flying back and forth with the chow. Their nest is mounted to a pole on my deck just a few feet from my picnic table. She's still wary of me when I'm sitting out there. I'm not going to disturb them. When the babies start to show themselves I hope to get some pictures.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
How lucky..do you have a snake guard? Years ago my mom's neighbor lost several bluebird eggs and babies to snakes. :frown:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
How lucky..do you have a snake guard?

Does he count? :lol:

Attachments

• bearbeach9-05a.jpg
    bearbeach9-05a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 165
  • bearbeach9-05b.jpg
    bearbeach9-05b.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 207

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
awwww...handsome Bear..how's the old boy doing?
He's doing quite well these days. He's back at his teenage weight which took a lot of strain off his old legs. He's enjoying life much better now that mommy's home with him all the time. He'll be 12 in August.

J

jammin'

Sharon said:
The babies in my bluebird box have hatched. :yahoo: I can only (slightly) hear them, but momma's been very busy flying back and forth with the chow. Their nest is mounted to a pole on my deck just a few feet from my picnic table. She's still wary of me when I'm sitting out there. I'm not going to disturb them. When the babies start to show themselves I hope to get some pictures.
Congrats!

:clap:

I saw a purty bluebird in the front yard yesterday.

I have a bird that builds a nest on top of one of the support posts for my barn every year. Some kind of a chikadee I think. Anywho, I park my riding mower under the barn. Went to get the mower on Saturday and right after starting it up, she buzzed my head. Found out later that she crapped on my neck as she showed her displeasure at my disturbing her bebes.

I found a robin's nest in my "lollipop" tree out front. There are at least 2 babies in there. Momma bird was very wary of us. She came back with food while I was taking a peek and waited patiently until I was quite a ways back to enter the nest. It's very hard to see ( have to move branches ) ... I hope I get to see them flutter about before they leave for good.

Mikeinsmd

GF's grandaughter & I are watching a bluejay with babies in a holly tree right off the deck. I have to take her out to check on it everytime she comes down. :lol:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
We have chickadees in one of our "bluebird" houses. No bluebirds this year for the first time in years. :sad:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What's the difference...

Sharon said:

...between omlettes and sushi?

Apparently 1 day.

:lmao:

I

Inkpen

BS Gal said:
We have chickadees in one of our "bluebird" houses. No bluebirds this year for the first time in years. :sad:

There is a type of bird that killl bluebirds in the next box.
It is the Africian weaver bird..the "sparrow" that hangs out at Wal.mart, 7-11, etc..the male has a black triangle on the throat.
Very agressive bird, not a local bird, imported from Europe.
They take over next boxes, peck the eggs, and build a next on top on the bule bird next.

Check with local nature center for more ifo. http://audubon-omaha.org/bbbox/bbtabl2.htm
Or here: check out photo gallery!!

Worst thing was to import the House Sparrow..kills so many bluebirds..
CAUTION: graphic page..may be upsetting..shows what sparrows do to bluebirds:http://www.sialis.org/hospattacks.htm

More on house sparrow...
http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The baby bluebirds flew the nest earlier this week. I never even got to see them. Mom and Dad were feeding them last weekend. A few days later they didn't show up so I peeked in the box and it was empty.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
The blue jays and woodpeckers were quite rude to me on the deck today while I was in "the pool". We had taken the birdfeeder down to clean it. They were pissed off that the feeder was gone. They woke me from my nap.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Sharon said:
The baby bluebirds flew the nest earlier this week. I never even got to see them. Mom and Dad were feeding them last weekend. A few days later they didn't show up so I peeked in the box and it was empty.

Wonder if something got them? Sounds quick to be gone.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Wonder if something got them? Sounds quick to be gone.

Don't think so. They were about 3 weeks old. I thought they were there for a while before I started this thread. Mom & Dad brought food to the nest early in the mornings. The babies rarely ever made any noise unless the parents flew inside the box and neither one liked me being that close so they usually flew off until I went inside.

I thought there were only two in our nest, but I realized there were four after I took these pictures a week ago. They have all left the nest I believe. It was empty yesterday when I checked on it.

When I caught a peek at them last week I also saw that one of the baby birds had a deformed beak. Momma bird was still feeding him and I'm assuming he'll be okay. I would have thought momma bird would have kicked him out of the nest had something been really wrong with him. You can see the one w/ the bent beak in the last picture.

Last edited:

BlackSheep

CableChick said:
When I caught a peek at them last week I also saw that one of the baby birds had a deformed beak. Momma bird was still feeding him and I'm assuming he'll be okay. I would have thought momma bird would have kicked him out of the nest had something been really wrong with him. You can see the one w/ the bent beak in the last picture.
Synthetic pesticides!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
More babies?

Mom and Dad are back ...and they're refurbishing the nest. :yahoo:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
One of the "babies" from the first clutch flew back with the parent. It was big and is getting it's blue. :yay: