Part-Time Preschool

My son is three and we are thinking about sending him to a preschool part-time in the fall. I'm looking for half-days, 2-3 days/week, and no budget-breakers. I know a lot of churches have preschools like this, but I don't want anything overly-religious (not trying to start an argument here) - but discussions about G-d and morals and whatnot are fine. Anyone have any recommendations from experience?

sccrmommy

Depending on where you live, Ms. Bev's Place in Dunkirk is great. Her Pre-School teachers do a really good job. By the time my daughter left the 4 year old class to go to Kindergarten she was already reading and writing. 301-855-6237

jenbengen

Watch it
foxxynhounds said:
My son is three and we are thinking about sending him to a preschool part-time in the fall. I'm looking for half-days, 2-3 days/week, and no budget-breakers. I know a lot of churches have preschools like this, but I don't want anything overly-religious (not trying to start an argument here) - but discussions about G-d and morals and whatnot are fine. Anyone have any recommendations from experience?

Little Sonbeams pre-k at Lexington Park Lutheran is AWESOME. Not sure if they will have any openings, but they have a tues/thurs program from 9-12 with option to stay 2 more hours for an extremely reasonable price. Super teachers. They sing some chidren's Bible songs but nothing fanatical. My 3 year old will begin there in the fall and my 6 year old went there and LOVED it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
foxxynhounds said:

What area are you looking?

In Lusby, Middleham was great for both of my kids. Some religion, but definitely not overboard. For threes it's mostly learning how to interact with other kids and other behavior.

The threes go for two days per week, and the fours go three days.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Building Blocks of Faith on All Faith Church Rd.
They work very closely with the K and pre-K teachers @ Dent ES to coordinate the curriculum. They do a little on the "religious" front but it tends to be more of the God wants you to be nice to others etc. My son went as a 3 and 4 yr old and it was worth every penny. The tuition is 110-150 a month, the 3 yo plan was 2 days a week and 4 yo is 3 days a week and they do an am/pm split. Registration is going on now and they do fill up quick.

CMC122

Go Braves!
kom526 said:
Building Blocks of Faith on All Faith Church Rd.
They work very closely with the K and pre-K teachers @ Dent ES to coordinate the curriculum. They do a little on the "religious" front but it tends to be more of the God wants you to be nice to others etc. My son went as a 3 and 4 yr old and it was worth every penny. The tuition is 110-150 a month, the 3 yo plan was 2 days a week and 4 yo is 3 days a week and they do an am/pm split. Registration is going on now and they do fill up quick.
:yeahthat: My middle son went there and loved it.

Seamaid

Yes, Middleham ws great with my kids.

MMDad said:
What area are you looking?

In Lusby, Middleham was great for both of my kids. Some religion, but definitely not overboard. For threes it's mostly learning how to interact with other kids and other behavior.

The threes go for two days per week, and the fours go three days.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I'm asking this just out of curiousity.

Doesn't it seem that the world wants kids to grow up too darn fast these days? I mean, why can't a 3 year old just play and have fun. Why do they need structured class and have to be able to read and write by the time they are 4.5 years old? Whatever happened to letting kids be kids?

watercolor

yeah yeah
Tinkerbell said:

Doesn't it seem that the world wants kids to grow up too darn fast these days? I mean, why can't a 3 year old just play and have fun. Why do they need structured class and have to be able to read and write by the time they are 4.5 years old? Whatever happened to letting kids be kids?

Unfortunately, that is the way the world is. That is why people get their kids into programs. Because if you dont know this stuff, the reading and writing, the school has a hard time with "helping" kids. Its sad.

Got2GoodKids

Both of my kids go to Honey MacCallum at Patuxent Presbyterian Church. I am willing to travel further for three things..........doctors, hair salons and schools! There are other preschools much closer to me but of all that I visited when we first moved to Saint Mary's County this is the only one that I fell in love with. The teachers are wonderful, it is very clean and my kids love it. I wouldn't send them anywhere else!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Tinkerbell said:

I was in pre-school back in the late '60s. This isn't new. It also isn't cramming reading and writing into their heads. They are learning socialization and behavioral skills more than anything.

As we have lost the "nuclear family" and there are so many families where both parents work, kids just aren't socialized like they once were. Preschool helps that. The academic part is more a matter of them learning how to learn than it is about them actually learning concepts.

When people say that kids aren't ready for kindergarten it is because they are not ready behaviorally. If you give the kindergarten teacher a choice between a kid who can read and write or a kid who knows how to behave, they will always choose the kid who can behave. It is a lot easier to teach academics than it is behavior.

My son can read, write, and spell better than his classmates, but preschool didn't teach him that. His older sister did.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
watercolor said:
Unfortunately, that is the way the world is. That is why people get their kids into programs. Because if you dont know this stuff, the reading and writing, the school has a hard time with "helping" kids. Its sad.

See, I don't understand that. I didn't put my little one in any special pre-pre-schools. She just went off to kindergarden. Well, here we are at the end of kindergarden and she's doing wonderfully. She writes very nicely, she can count to any number, she can tell time (just the hours, half hours and quarter hours so far!), she can read all kinds of words and does good sounding out others. She sits and reads books to me all the time and does really well. She knows SO much more than when she started last fall. She knows basic math... it's amazing. And it's not just her...her classmates I've been around have learned just as much with no "prep" work.

Her kindergarden (public school) taught her PLENTY! You don't have to go into kindergarden knowing how to read and write. All you need to know is your alphabet, how to write your name, basic colors, shapes and count 1-10. Honestly, they expect the parents to put some effort into helping too, but of course you should.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Tinkerbell said:
See, I don't understand that. I didn't put my little one in any special pre-pre-schools. She just went off to kindergarden. Well, here we are at the end of kindergarden and she's doing wonderfully. She writes very nicely, she can count to any number, she can tell time (just the hours, half hours and quarter hours so far!), she can read all kinds of words and does good sounding out others. She sits and reads books to me all the time and does really well. She knows SO much more than when she started last fall. She knows basic math... it's amazing. And it's not just her...her classmates I've been around have learned just as much with no "prep" work.

Her kindergarden (public school) taught her PLENTY! You don't have to go into kindergarden knowing how to read and write. All you need to know is your alphabet, how to write your name, basic colors, shapes and count 1-10. Honestly, they expect the parents to put some effort into helping too, but of course you should.

Cause she obviously has a momma that taught her right! :flowers:

jenbengen

Watch it
Her kindergarden (public school) taught her PLENTY! You don't have to go into kindergarden knowing how to read and write. All you need to know is your alphabet, how to write your name, basic colors, shapes and count 1-10. Honestly, they expect the parents to put some effort into helping too, but of course you should.[/QUOTE]

I agree that pre-k isn't necessary (if parents take the time to teach their child to obey a teacher before kindergarten and teach the basics). I don't put my kids in it so much to LEARN-I shy away from the ones that have a strict curriculum. They are only 3 years old, lol. I have found that my kids both really enjoyed the structure of playing in organized groups and they did learn from it. The learning letters and such was just a bonus for me.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
jenbengen said:
I agree that pre-k isn't necessary (if parents take the time to teach their child to obey a teacher before kindergarten and teach the basics). I don't put my kids in it so much to LEARN-I shy away from the ones that have a strict curriculum. They are only 3 years old, lol. I have found that my kids both really enjoyed the structure of playing in organized groups and they did learn from it. The learning letters and such was just a bonus for me.

Mine wanted to go at 3 years old too -- but only because she wanted to ride the bus :rolleyes: :lmao:. She has been in home daycare since she was 18 months, so the socialization wasn't an issue.

I agree - I'm sending my son because HE wants to go to school. He has been asking to learn letters, is trying to understand his numbers, and wants to be able to spell his name. These are not things I, or anyone else, are pushing on him. In fact, I don't really want to send him, because I have to pay for childcare IN ADDITION to the preschool costs - but he is just so darn excited, and I know he wants to get out of the house and with kids his own age (he has 8month old twin sisters that aren't a whole lot of fun to play with right now). So it's not a matter of me feeling that he needs to have a certain level of knowledge before kindergarten - I've been a proponent of child-led learning with him - but me realizing that HE wants to get out of the house! That's child-led enough for me!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
If you have to have childcare for him anyway, why don't you look into a childcare that offers a preschool curriculum? I'm not talking about a center, although that is possible. But if you look around, there are more and more childcare providers doing a structured program that is as good or better than any preschool out there.

In fact, there is a plan in place to certify certain home child cares as pre-kindergarten facilities in those places where public schools cannot meet the needs of all the children who need pre-k. That plan is still pending legislative approval, but what they are talking about is putting a Department of Education seal of approval on things that are already happening and expanding on them.

Granted, these places are still the exception, not the rule, but they are out there and it's cheaper than paying for childcare and preschool and arranging transportation between the two.

mamissa3

I have my 3rd child in Honey Mcallum, and love it!! My kids also went to Green Holly for Judy center and Pre_K. It has been wonderful. My K son can read and write and do math. My Pre K girl and write her name. And spell a few things. I have been a big part in teaching these children to learn but i think they have done well with the other prorams as well. I dont want them to grow up to quick by any means but they have done well:)

Dymphna said:
If you have to have childcare for him anyway, why don't you look into a childcare that offers a preschool curriculum? I'm not talking about a center, although that is possible. But if you look around, there are more and more childcare providers doing a structured program that is as good or better than any preschool out there.

In fact, there is a plan in place to certify certain home child cares as pre-kindergarten facilities in those places where public schools cannot meet the needs of all the children who need pre-k. That plan is still pending legislative approval, but what they are talking about is putting a Department of Education seal of approval on things that are already happening and expanding on them.

Granted, these places are still the exception, not the rule, but they are out there and it's cheaper than paying for childcare and preschool and arranging transportation between the two.

I may get flamed for this, based on other posts on childcare that have shown up in this forum - but the childcare I currently have is a live-in nanny - and, while she is a large part of the reason that my son is doing so well with pre-school type stuff, because she is just at home with our three kids (3yo son & twinfant daughters), she can't give him the type of interaction that he wants and craves from a preschool-type setting. AND I have to pay her the same amount whether my son is in preschool or not, so it's not a matter of finding him a different kind of a daycare setting. Also, shuttling him around isn't an issue - the nanny will do that - just getting him out into situations with other kids. I think we've decided on Little Sonbeams - fingers crossed that he likes it!