Migraines

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I had one this morning. I've suffered from them on and off for probably 20 years but never with enough frequency or intensity to need a prescription.

I've had several inthe last few weeks, however, so I guess I'm going to have to start meds. For those that suffer, what meds have been most effective - made you functional? I know not everyone finds relief with the same med.

An oddity - today's episode left me with crystal clear vision. Never happened before, I'm normaly fuzzy.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
bresamil said:
I had one this morning. I've suffered from them on and off for probably 20 years but never with enough frequency or intensity to need a prescription.

I've had several inthe last few weeks, however, so I guess I'm going to have to start meds. For those that suffer, what meds have been most effective - made you functional? I know not everyone finds relief with the same med.

An oddity - today's episode left me with crystal clear vision. Never happened before, I'm normaly fuzzy.
I take Flexrill every night to prevent migraines. It works great -- I used to get a few headaches a week, but the Flexerill has made them almost disappear. :yay: When I do get one, Imitrex usually fixes it.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
K_Jo said:
I take Flexrill every night to prevent migraines. It works great -- I used to get a few headaches a week, but the Flexerill has made them almost disappear. :yay: When I do get one, Imitrex usually fixes it.
P.S. The Flexerill will help you sleep like a baby. :smile:

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
My husband also suffers from infrequent migraines, but when they hit him hard he's totally incapacitated. He has been prescribed Imotrex, and if he takes it on the first onset of one, he is usually functional. It doesn't make it go completely away, but he is functional.

cuddlybbw

bresamil said:

I suffer from them on a daily basis. I am on 3 different kinds of medication that help me function. Have you noticed if you have gotten one after eating a certian food? All the foods you eat on a normal basis can cause a migraine, even foods that are healthy for you. You might want to get your eyes examined if you haven't done so recently.

Papi4baby

I was told that migranes can actually leave you blind, sounds like it might be getting worse on your case, might want to mentioned that to the doctor next time. I have only gotten once, and it knocked me out, i was at the ER like a little baby almost crying :jameo:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
SoMDGirl42 said:
Sorry, I must disagree

It's actually called Flexeril

Well if you wanna get all technical... Flexeril is just the brand name. The name of the actual drug is cyclobenzaprine. But you can be on my team cause you seem smarter than that know-it-all k-Jo.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I take Inderal daily as a preventative and Imitrex for ones that get through.

CAT scans and MRI's do not show migraines, according to a neurologist I consulted in the past. It only makes sure it's not something other than a migraine - like a tumor, mass, etc.

christy217

I take Topamax 100 mg twice daily as a preventative and then I take zomig-an oral dissolving tablet when I get one, I can take up to three of those in a 24 hour period. I get about 9-14 a month.

ShyGirl

When I feel a migraine coming on, I take 2 extra strength Excedrin. It's enough to stave off the pain and prevent the migraine from getting worse!

If I don't take the excedrin fast enough, I have to ride it out and the throbbing, light-sensitive, nauseous feeling can last up to three days!

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
Well if you wanna get all technical... Flexeril is just the brand name. The name of the actual drug is cyclobenzaprine. But you can be on my team cause you seem smarter than that know-it-all k-Jo.
Mean biatches! :bawl:

M

Mousebaby

I have what is called Psuedo Tumor Cerebri. It is a condition where your brain thinks you have a tumor but you don't. It is caused by too much spinal fluid in your brain cavity. They generaly diagnose this by doing a spinal tap and measure your fluid pressure. If it is high, they drain some off to lower the pressure and then they give you a diaretic to keep the fluid from returning. I am currently taking the highest dose possible of Diamox Sequals, which is a diaretic, and I am taking another med called Imipramine at bedtime and if my headaches come on and the Imitrex pill does not work, I have the Imitrex injections. On top of all of this, I also occasionally get an actual migraine. They have linked Psuedo to heavy set women, but thinner women can also get it. If you think you might have this instead of just a migraine, ask your Neurologist to check you for it. Also, don't let him tell you that he can tell by the way you describe your headaches that its not Psuedo, because you may just have different symptoms then most with it. If you would like to know the name of my Neurologist PM me. Hope I helped some! :howdy: