I got a new digital camera...

M

Mousebaby

...and I need help learning what all this mumbo jumbo means. It's supposed to be a point and shoot camera but it has all kinds of things that it is capable of doing. I am totally clueless. I usually just aim and snap, but I want to learn how to take better pictures. It is a Panasonic DMC-FZ8. Any takers on teaching me what these things mean?? I have no idea what an aperture is, or if I'm even spelling it right for that matter. HELP PLEASE!!! :jameo:

Mousebaby said:
...and I need help learning what all this mumbo jumbo means. It's supposed to be a point and shoot camera but it has all kinds of things that it is capable of doing. I am totally clueless. I usually just aim and snap, but I want to learn how to take better pictures. It is a Panasonic DMC-FZ8. Any takers on teaching me what these things mean?? I have no idea what an aperture is, or if I'm even spelling it right for that matter. HELP PLEASE!!! :jameo:
Wow, where to start? Aperture is how far the opening of the lens is open. The lower the number the more it is open and the more light gets in. You can also use it to control your field of focus. If your camera has all the positions for different conditions, like landscape, portrait, sports, etc. that will be enough to occupy you for a while. Check into those. The sports setting gets you a faster shutter speed so it will stop action better.

M

Mousebaby

desertrat said:
Wow, where to start? Aperture is how far the opening of the lens is open. The lower the number the more it is open and the more light gets in. You can also use it to control your field of focus. If your camera has all the positions for different conditions, like landscape, portrait, sports, etc. that will be enough to occupy you for a while. Check into those. The sports setting gets you a faster shutter speed so it will stop action better.

Ok, thank you! :huggy: I think I understand the point of aperture, I just don't know when or how to apply it. Does that make any since. I know nothing about photography! But I will play around with it and see what happens. :howdy:

ylexot

Super Genius
Aperture was the one that was most difficult for me to understand. My advice...play with the camera. Do a series of shots of the same subject where all you do is change the aperture. Look at the pictures and the EXIF data (that data is embedded in the file and will tell you the camera settings for the shot).

Mousebaby said:
Ok, thank you! :huggy: I think I understand the point of aperture, I just don't know when or how to apply it. Does that make any since. I know nothing about photography! But I will play around with it and see what happens. :howdy:
Maybe get a how to book, join the local club or take a class? I just looked at the camera you got, pretty nice! Don't forget the St Marys County photo contest from now til Nov. Plenty of time.

M

Mousebaby

Hubby just brought me 3 beginner books home from the library. Hopefully I'll figure something out from there. My cats are starting to run when they see me coming with the camera! :lmao:

:eek:fftoblindmycatsagain:

Jameo

What?!
Mousebaby said:
Hubby just brought me 3 beginner books home from the library. Hopefully I'll figure something out from there. My cats are starting to run when they see me coming with the camera! :lmao:

:eek:fftoblindmycatsagain:

Getcha one of them photography for dummies books. They are awesome and very helpful! :yay:

M

Mousebaby

Jameo said:
Getcha one of them photography for dummies books. They are awesome and very helpful! :yay:

Hubby actually brought one of those home, if I like it and it helps me a lot I will be purchasing a copy to keep with me! Thanks for the tip! :yay:

M

Mousebaby

This is just one I snapped after setting a couple of things, don't see a heck of a lot of difference, except the pizzed off look in my cats eyes!! :lmao:

M

Mousebaby

ocean733 said:
Good luck, Mousebaby!

I just got a Nikon D40x and I'm still playing too.:howdy:

NO YOU DID NOT!!!! I wanted one of those!! It was way out of my price range considering I am an amateur! I was drooling over that camera for a while and then decided to go small until I got the hang of things. Your lucky!! :clap:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I browsed a feature list of this camera... pretty decent for a P&S.

ylexot said:
Aperture was the one that was most difficult for me to understand.
This is common, since aperture works counter-intuitively. Mousebaby, you picked a whopper of a subject to jump in with. :lol:

ylexot said:
My advice...play with the camera.
Agreed. The best way for a newbie to learn is simply to play. Even shooting your cats around the house can teach you the basics - enough to move onto better things.

Having a good book or two by your side will help answer specific questions and round out your knowledge... but don't let it all intimidate you.

M

Mousebaby

hvp05 said:
I browsed a feature list of this camera... pretty decent for a P&S.

This is common, since aperture works counter-intuitively. Mousebaby, you picked a whopper of a subject to jump in with. :lol:

Agreed. The best way for a newbie to learn is simply to play. Even shooting your cats around the house can teach you the basics - enough to move onto better things.

Having a good book or two by your side will help answer specific questions and round out your knowledge... but don't let it all intimidate you.

:huggy: Thanks for all your help!!

Deadeye, I just joined the forum you suggested! :huggy: Thanks to you too!!

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
I am a beginner also. This forum really rocks for photog nuts from beginner to the pro. There are contests, galleries, and lots of people with helpful advice. The interface is same as here so you will feel right at home. :howdy: