Rite Aide Pharmacy

SoMDMama82

I went to the Rite Aide pharmacy yesterday afternoon to have a prescription (Amoxicillin) filled for my 5 1/2 month old. Gave her the dose on the front label last night for the first time. She had diarrhea last night, which I have been told is normal with Amoxicillin, but my SIL calls me this morning and tells me that her 7 year old takes the same dosage that is on the label of my daughters medicine. So I called the doctor's office, and the pharmacy, Rite Aide had screwed up! My daughter was supposed to be given 2/3 tsp, and they had 2 tsp on the label! 3 times the amount she should have had! I'm waiting for the District Manager to call me back. Her pediatrician said not to worry, it should not harm her. I'm just grateful it wasn't something that would have harmed her!

When I talked to the Charlotte Hall Rite Aide, I asked first of all what dosage was on the physician slip. He immediately said 2/3 tsp. When I told him why I was asking, she came up with some lame excuse that it was written poorly, and should have been in ml, not tsp. That is no excuse. If a pharmacist is unsure of the dosage on the physician slip is, wouldn't they call the doctor. It's just scary to me that they made a mistake that big. 3 times the proper dosage.

My SIL told me she has had the same problem with this pharmacy. Just wondering if there are any others out there. I was told by the person at Rite Aide this morning that it was "Pain" who filled the prescription. I'm still waiting for a call back from the district manager.

M

missperky

I had that problem with CVS filling a prescription wrong.

That's why the child's birthdate is supposed to be written on the prescription. Any good pharmacist would have looked and questioned it had they thought it was poorly written and/or called the doctor's office.

SoMDMama82

CableChick said:
That's why the child's birthdate is supposed to be written on the prescription. Any good pharmacist would have looked and questioned it had they thought it was poorly written and/or called the doctor's office.

I brought up the same point when talking to the pharmacist this morning. Because I know everytime I go there, they ask for her date of birth. He said "I usually do, but I wasn't here yesterday". Just scary that in the line of profession, somebody could be THAT careless! And he made me even more angry by coming up with poor excuses.

missthang

Just Giving My Opinion
The pharmacy was open. Everytime I go into Charlotte Hall Rite Aid is always closed. Take your prescriptions to CVS. :whistle:

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I don't like Rite Aid. I have never had a problem like that thank god but they never have the medicine I need in stock and tell me they can order it and have it there in a week. No thanks. I usually go to Target or CVS in Leonardtown. The CVS has annoyed me 1 or 2 times but they always have the medicine and they have never messes up the dosage.

I'm glad your daughter is ok.

D

dems4me

In defense of the pharmacy, I've never had a problem with the pharmacy at Charllotte Hall's Rite Aid across from the Food Lion. I wish they had longer hours but that's about it. I give them a thumbs up :yay: :clap:

mainman

Set Trippin
dems4me said:
In defense of the pharmacy, I've never had a problem with the pharmacy at Charllotte Hall's Rite Aid across from the Food Lion. I wish they had longer hours but that's about it. I give them a thumbs up :yay: :clap:
You prolly wouldn't even know if you were over medicated...:huggy:

D

dems4me

mainman said:
You prolly wouldn't even know if you were over medicated...:huggy:

(that's the way I like it :wink:) :lol:

Seriously SoMDMaMa, I always check the px bottle's before taking anything and they've never messed up. :shrug:

lovinmaryland

hotmomma said:
I don't like Rite Aid. I have never had a problem like that thank god but they never have the medicine I need in stock and tell me they can order it and have it there in a week. No thanks. I usually go to Target or CVS in Leonardtown. The CVS has annoyed me 1 or 2 times but they always have the medicine and they have never messes up the dosage.

I'm glad your daughter is ok.

i go to the cvs in leonardtown also, but the line is alway sooooo long

SoMDMama82

Well I just spoke with the District Manager. He agreed there was no excuse for this mistake, and advised me that this pharmacist has never had this sort of complaint against him before in the 5 years he's been district manager. He said the one before him had a couple complaints, and was let go. He appoligized and said he would be looking into it. Because this is a 1st offense, he will only have to go through quality assurance training again, and the proper paperwork will be filled out and placed in his folder. They are going to contact her ped. and risk management will be following up with me. He seemed very concerned about the incident, and I hope they follow through with it well to ensure this person will not make the same mistake again.

aosmiles

I am glad your baby is okay. You have a right to be concerned-she is such a little one! I use Target Pharmacy-this is why. One, I have 4 (okay soon to be five) members in my family and Target has different colored rings (for each family member) for the medicine so people can grab the right one if they have trouble reading. This is great for the elderly-but also for moms trying to dose out multiple medicines for multiple kids. Two, they always verify birth dates, check the dosages and medicines and telll you what you are getting. Three, the staff is always friendly and I have never had a mistake made on my prescriptions.

aosmiles said:
I am glad your baby is okay. You have a right to be concerned-she is such a little one! I use Target Pharmacy-this is why. One, I have 4 (okay soon to be five) members in my family and Target has different colored rings (for each family member) for the medicine so people can grab the right one if they have trouble reading. This is great for the elderly-but also for moms trying to dose out multiple medicines for multiple kids. Two, they always verify birth dates, check the dosages and medicines and telll you what you are getting. Three, the staff is always friendly and I have never had a mistake made on my prescriptions.

my cousin is a pharmacist there .. :yay: She's awesome!

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
hotmomma said:
...they never have the medicine I need in stock and tell me they can order it and have it there in a week...

It doesn't take a week. I've gotten medicines ordered there quite a few times. They get it the next day. In fact, I have to pick up one this afternoon on the way home that Rite Aid (in Leonardtown) ordered yesterday afternoon. Maybe every Rite Aid is different. :shrug:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
RiteAid Charlotte Hall sucks

I had a number of problems with them not having the right medicines in stock and not bothering to call me even though they had all day. Then trying to charge me for the whole prescription even though they only gave me two days worth of pills. Not having prescriptions filled even though it was supposed to take an hour and I didn't return for 3 or 4 hours. Even got a blister pack of drugs from them that had a pill missing. :rolleyes:

I moved my prescriptions to McKays, then they went through some staffing issues and were never open when I'd go to pick stuff up, even though it was hours before they were supposed to close.

Then I moved the prescriptions to Tidewater. They are wonderful. Always filled when they are supposed to be. They even figured out that there was a quirk with my insurance that caused certain really cheap prescriptions to be MORE expensive using the insurance then without. The other 2 pharmacies didn't pick up on that.

Dymphna said:
RiteAid Charlotte Hall sucks

I had a number of problems with them not having the right medicines in stock and not bothering to call me even though they had all day. Then trying to charge me for the whole prescription even though they only gave me two days worth of pills. Not having prescriptions filled even though it was supposed to take an hour and I didn't return for 3 or 4 hours. Even got a blister pack of drugs from them that had a pill missing. :rolleyes:

I moved my prescriptions to McKays, then they went through some staffing issues and were never open when I'd go to pick stuff up, even though it was hours before they were supposed to close.

Then I moved the prescriptions to Tidewater. They are wonderful. Always filled when they are supposed to be. They even figured out that there was a quirk with my insurance that caused certain really cheap prescriptions to be MORE expensive using the insurance then without. The other 2 pharmacies didn't pick up on that.
:yeahthat:

ericw

dems4me said:

I've never had any real problems there either. And I've chit-chatted with the manager there enough over the years she's worked there in one position or another that I'd feel comfortable taking complaints to her - from what I understand, her authority over the pharmacy side of the business is limited, but she can still try to make things right.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
ericw said:
I've never had any real problems there either. And I've chit-chatted with the manager there enough over the years she's worked there in one position or another that I'd feel comfortable taking complaints to her - from what I understand, her authority over the pharmacy side of the business is limited, but she can still try to make things right.
The store part is fine. The regular employees are very nice and helpful. It's just the pharmacy that sucks.