What kind of allergy causes a cough?

C

Crombie

My 6 yr old son has a chronic cough. That has come and gone for about 3 yrs or so now. My ex wife claims that it is allergies. None of us smoke so it's not from that. Any ideas at all?
P.S.
Cough medicines, vaperizers, vicks vapor rub, etc, etc... don't help. And he gets it roughly once every 3 months.

Vince

Crombie said:
My 6 yr old son has a chronic cough. That has come and gone for about 3 yrs or so now. My ex wife claims that it is allergies. None of us smoke so it's not from that. Any ideas at all?
P.S.
Cough medicines, vaperizers, vicks vapor rub, etc, etc... don't help. And he gets it roughly once every 3 months.
Allergies can cause a nasal drip that runs down your throat causing a cough. Have him checked by an ENT and allergy tests.

lkt

curly-locks
could be asthma also... I would have the dr check for asthma, which can also be allergy induced... do your childs lungs sound wheezy when the cough comes along?

lkt said:
could be asthma also... I would have the dr check for asthma, which can also be allergy induced... do your childs lungs sound wheezy when the cough comes along?
Ok, "Crombie" is actually me. I was on a 2 yr hiatus from this site because I forgot all about this place, created a new user name while ago, and recalled what my user name was . So yes I am the original poster of this thread (hence the N/A posts... I asked an admin to delete the account).
So to answer your questions:
A few months back I had taken him to his pediatrician and he tested for asthma. Nope. No asthma. AT THE TIME I didn't think about allergies and he didn't even mention them.
No he does not sound wheezy at all, nor does he spit any phlem out. It sounds like a 'dry" cough. If that makes any sense.

lil_daisy

dry cough can be "fixed" not cured with lots more liquids frequently during the day and some hard candies. A little nighttime cough syrup or dissolving strip/chewable would be for a good nighty night.

start watering stuff outside to cut down on the dust and pollen floating around.

:popcorn:

lil_daisy said:
dry cough can be "fixed" not cured with lots more liquids frequently during the day and some hard candies. A little nighttime cough syrup or dissolving strip/chewable would be for a good nighty night.

start watering stuff outside to cut down on the dust and pollen floating around.

:popcorn:
So "dry" coughing sounds like allergies?
Maybe we do need a good rain to make this pollen crap go away (my silver car is yellow! :tantrum )

ohstate

Allergies can really cause this type of cough. I had a bad cough caused by the stuff dripping down the back of my throat. It actually got worse when I went to bed - more dripping. Have him checked for allergies - it could be anything - especially in a different environment - if it gets worse at night, I'd guess it is dust - you'll need to get the allergy-proof mattress and pillow covers, get rid of stuffed animals, heavy curtains, and carpet - to keep dust down in the room. Those precautions really work wonders.

jenbengen

Watch it
Crombie said:
P.S.

My 6 year old suffers from this. Coughs all night long mostly, but has bouts with it during the day. No over the counter stuff works. Finally had singulair mixed with Clariton and it got rid of it. It took us 2 years to get the right combo for her. She has outdoor allergies and may have a mild case of seasonal type asthma. Talk to your doc. We had to go back back 4 times before we got the rights meds to fix it.

jenbengen said:
My 6 year old suffers from this. Coughs all night long mostly, but has bouts with it during the day. No over the counter stuff works. Finally had singulair mixed with Clariton and it got rid of it. It took us 2 years to get the right combo for her. She has outdoor allergies and may have a mild case of seasonal type asthma. Talk to your doc. We had to go back back 4 times before we got the rights meds to fix it.
Who's her pediatrician?

Lilypad

Does your son cough more at bedtime/night or is the cough off/on during the entire day?
Is it a wheeze?
What kind of "sound" does the cough have?
Does your son have a fever w/the cough?
Could be ear related or could be allergies such as dust mites, dander, environmental, or MILK!
I would consider have blood work done w/a trusted peds. doc. :yay:
Good luck!!

Lilypad said:
Does your son cough more at bedtime/night or is the cough off/on during the entire day?
Is it a wheeze?
What kind of "sound" does the cough have?
Does your son have a fever w/the cough?
Could be ear related or could be allergies such as dust mites, dander, environmental, or MILK!
I would consider have blood work done w/a trusted peds. doc. :yay:
Good luck!!
1.) The cough is persistent through out the day. Every 30 or so minutes he will cough.
2.) No wheezing.
3.) it sounds like a "dry" cough. There is no mucous, phlegm, blood, nothing.
4.) No fever. His temperature is 110% normal. (I checked it first thing this morning)

Lilypad

SilverIntrepid said:
1.) The cough is persistent through out the day. Every 30 or so minutes he will cough.
2.) No wheezing.
3.) it sounds like a "dry" cough. There is no mucous, phlegm, blood, nothing.
4.) No fever. His temperature is 110% normal. (I checked it first thing this morning)
Sounds like non-specific bronchitis, also called recurrent viral bronchitis, this features a dry cough with no identifiable cause.
As hard as it is to believe, a chronic dry, hacking cough can sometimes be a habit-like adults who hack or clear their throat.
I feel for the lil fella and y’all. :huggy: Please keep us posted!!!

M

Mousebaby

Did this start when you moved to this residence? Could be hidden mold causing allergy coughing. My husband has a horrible dry cough. Its most likely do to the mold that we cannot get rid of. You should get him tested for allergies, it will be the only way to find out whats causing it for sure and then you can medicate accordingly. Also, try putting a cool mist humidifier in his room, or get a big one for the house to keep some moisture in the air. Don't get a warm mist as this can cause bacterias to grow and you definitely don't want that. If you can't get rid of the carpet make sure you vacuum daily and get some hepa vacuum bags. Mini blinds are better then curtains because they hold less dust. Also, change the filters in your ac/heat unit to allergen filters this will help too. Keep the dust minimal. Use a damp cloth to dust rather then a dry one. I could go on about things that will help with controlling indoor allergies, but it's best that you talk to your doctor! Hope this helps, oh and, Dr. Sheth is the best Pediatrician in the Park. He is directly across from Walmart on 235. :howdy:

Mousebaby said:
Did this start when you moved to this residence? Could be hidden mold causing allergy coughing.
Honestly. It all started when my ex wife allowed her (at the time) boyfriend to move in. They would smoke in the house and never clean anything. But that was 3 yrs ago.
I just replaced the a/c filter actually. Probably hmmm..... 3 weeks ago.