Violent Music Boosts Aggressive Thoughts

K

Kain99

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Violent lyrics in songs increase aggression-related thoughts and emotions and could indirectly create a more hostile social environment, a study released on Sunday by a U.S. psychology association found.

This explains everything

J

justhangn

:bs: I've been listening to some of the heaviest most violent music around and I haven't killed anyone yet.

If someone is going to do something stupid, it's of his or her own accord, not the fault of the music.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by justhangn
:bs: I've been listening to some of the heaviest most violent music around and I haven't killed anyone yet.

If someone is going to do something stupid, it's of his or her own accord, not the fault of the music.

at least they can sound tough by saying they listen to this kind of music, when in reality we all know they listen to New Kids On The Block.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous

:yeahthat: Whenever I have a bad day, I put Slipknot into my CD and jam away cuz it makes me feel better. Never has the music provoked any thoughts of agression or any of that BS.

K

Kain99

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :smooch:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry, folks, the stats don't lie. Urban youth crime (read: ghetto blacks) rose dramatically when gangsta rap came on the scene. You know as well as I do that just because YOU can differentiate between fantasy and reality, that doesn't mean EVERYONE can.

Again we get back to the parents. If they'd take more responsiblity toward their kids, we wouldn't have to worry about things like violent movies, music and video games. If the kids had a solid family unit, those things wouldn't influence them so much.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Sorry, folks, the stats don't lie. Urban youth crime (read: ghetto blacks) rose dramatically when gangsta rap came on the scene.

But what came first, the chicken or the egg? Many of the "gangsta rappers" talked about what was already going on in the streets. I don't feel that the music encouraged the behavior, it just made the violence that was once only known in the ghetto more visible to the public.
Out of sight, out of mind. As long as they were killing themselves in their own neighborhood and not bothering "us", we didn't care about it at all. Once the music came out, people started to see what was going on and looked into it more. And suddenly, you're reading media reports about shootings in the ghetto as if they are something new.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
Many of the "gangsta rappers" talked about what was already going on in the streets.
Then where did the rise come from? Yes, inner-city crime was a problem before, but the numbers rose dramatically when violent music came on the scene. Coincidence? I don't think so.

We all know that teens are, in fact, influenced by pop culture. It's pure ignorance to say otherwise. All you have to do is look at fashion trends, behaviors and slang to see it.

K

Kain99

But what came first, the chicken or the egg? Many of the "gangsta rappers" talked about what was already going on in the streets.

Don't you listen to Eminem? He has a great song about his music raising other peoples kids. :wink:

SmallTown

Football season!
Then where did the rise come from? Yes, inner-city crime was a problem before, but the numbers rose dramatically when violent music came on the scene. Coincidence? I don't think so.

We all know that teens are, in fact, influenced by pop culture. It's pure ignorance to say otherwise. All you have to do is look at fashion trends, behaviors and slang to see it.

the rise cam about because of larger populations and a new found light on the subject. Remember, police brutality NEVER existed until one was on tape, then all of a sudden you hear about all kinds of police brutality cases.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
new found light on the subject
From where? :bubble:

Remember, police brutality NEVER existed until one was on tape, then all of a sudden you hear about all kinds of police brutality cases.
Maybe YOU had never heard of police brutality before then, but I had heard of it. You must be a lot younger than me for that to be the first time you'd ever heard of police brutality.

SmallTown

Football season!
From where? :bubble:

Maybe YOU had never heard of police brutality before then, but I had heard of it. You must be a lot younger than me for that to be the first time you'd ever heard of police brutality.

Nope, people in general were pretty oblivious to this, which is why it was so shocking to the nation when it was on TV. Oh sure, blacks told us it was happening, but why believe a black wino over a nice white police officer?

Yes, the music brought it into the mainstream. so I guess out of sight, out of mind is the way to go? Do whatever you want, as long as I don't have to hear about it? I think the music was great because it did bring the subject out and began to get more attention, which it turn got more people involved (and a new home for the dems to campaign)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ST, since this is a free country, you can certainly say that ghetto music has no effect on youth. You can also say that Rodney King was just minding his own business when mean ol' policemen started pounding on him. And what's more, you can say that violent music about debasing women and shooting people are good for society.

You can say it, but that doesn't make it true.

SmallTown

Football season!

You can say it, but that doesn't make it true.

Likewise.

It is the upbringing, not the music.
Wow. I listened to gangsta rap, and wow, I went to college, got a good job, and don't have a single criminal record. Maybe I wasn't listening to it loud enough?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It is the upbringing, not the music.
I agree with that 100% but, again, we're not talking about YOU or even MY kids. We're talking about inner-city kids who live in a very different environment than you or I do.

I don't know you but I assume you were brought up by parents who didn't sit around smoking crack and joining gangs? I also assume shootings weren't the norm in your neighborhood. Can I also assume that you didn't have to worry about stray bullets when you walked to school?

That's the difference.

SmallTown

Football season!
I agree with that 100% but, again, we're not talking about YOU or even MY kids. We're talking about inner-city kids who live in a very different environment than you or I do.

I don't know you but I assume you were brought up by parents who didn't sit around smoking crack and joining gangs? I also assume shootings weren't the norm in your neighborhood. Can I also assume that you didn't have to worry about stray bullets when you walked to school?

That's the difference.

So it is the upbringing. why did you say the music caused the increasing problems?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

Wow. I listened to gangsta rap, and wow, I went to college, got a good job, and don't have a single criminal record. Maybe I wasn't listening to it loud enough?

:liar: :bs: :loser:

You've just outed yourself with that one. How old are you 28, 29? Today's "gangsta rap" wasn't even out when you were growing up. Hell it was in it's infancy when I was growing up and I'm not even 24 yet.

B

Bruce

I think one of the biggest effects the music has is that it makes the obscene seem normal. If some people hear (or read) about murders, rapes, debasing woman, etc, etc, all the time they loose their natural sense of revulsion to these acts and after a while the acts seem totally acceptable or "normal" to them.

Does this happen to everyone, no, but it does happen to enough, I believe, that we are seeing a difference is what is considered accceptable behavior by our youth.

If we were to see things like the Rodney King incident every day on TV and hear about them all the time on the radio, after a while I doubt that we would be so appalled to witness them.

just my opinion

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by pixiegirl
:liar: :bs: :loser:

You've just outed yourself with that one. How old are you 28, 29? Today's "gangsta rap" wasn't even out when you were growing up. Hell it was in it's infancy when I was growing up and I'm not even 24 yet.

28. started listening when I was about 15 or so. Grew up listening about "pimping ##'s", how to treat your b!tch, popping a cap in a 5-0's a$$, all that wonderful stuff. It was just music, not something to model your life after. Granted, I prefered the miami style sounds of the time, but your so-called gangsta rap had its roots back then. Take N.W.A. around '88 with Straight Out Of Compton with one of their "big" tracks, F the police which caused quite a stir in the media. ICE-T had his gangsta times (though his style came and went. Not quite sure what to call his Bodycount group, gangsta rock?)