Chincoteague Island

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Has anyone every been there? What is it like and does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay? The hubby and I are looking for a weekend getaway - just the two of us - to relax. I went to their website and it looks pretty relaxing.

Randi63

My parents live on Chincoteague. It is a very quiet island with a few nice restaurants. The beach at Assateague is nice. If you like nature walks or bike riding there is trail on Assateague. The Waterside Inn, Hampton Inn and Comfort Suites are nice.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Randi63 said:
My parents live on Chincoteague. It is a very quiet island with a few nice restaurants. The beach at Assateague is nice. If you like nature walks or bike riding there is trail on Assateague. The Waterside Inn, Hampton Inn and Comfort Suites are nice.
Thank you very much. :huggy: I will try those places first.

According to their website they have some small shops, scenic boat cruises around Assateague and putt-putt! We'll only be there for a couple days, and it seems very relaxing. And I can see the ponies! I love ponies. :biggrin:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Tinkerbell said:

According to their website they have some small shops, scenic boat cruises around Assateague and putt-putt! We'll only be there for a couple days, and it seems very relaxing. And I can see the ponies! I love ponies. :biggrin:
Bring your mosquito repellent.

BS Gal said:
Bring your mosquito repellent.
And make sure the slide at the pool is completely wet before going down it.
The island is a great place for photography, fishing, beaching and just being in a different environment. The motel we stayed in, The Islander, I think it was, was right on a channel overlooking a marsh. Nice little boardwalk ran along it.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
desertrat said:
And make sure the slide at the pool is completely wet before going down it...
something bad happened, didn't it? :lmao:

And, YES, Bug Spray will be packed! And loaded on! I figured that would be necessary on an Island.

SeaRide

Tinkerbell said:

There are bike rentals, scooter rentals, kayak rentals and numerous other things you can do on the island. There are few museums to learn about the island history or wildlifes.

I don't have suggestions for motel/hotel since I have an access to the house on the island. All I know there are plenty of variety in lodging range from house rental to motel, hotel, B&Bs etc.

If you want to avoid insects as much as possible, just don't be smelling so nice. :biggrin:

I usually go there to fish near Wachapreague, go seakayaking, beach combing, biking, photo shooting, antiquing, pig out on seafood, etc.

abbey

abbey normal
Tinkerbell said:
Has anyone every been there? What is it like and does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay? The hubby and I are looking for a weekend getaway - just the two of us - to relax. I went to their website and it looks pretty relaxing.

If you like Seafood, you need to try Steamers while you are down there, it is great!! but be warned if you are on any kind of a diet forget it, it is a ton of food

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
I remember about 5yrs ago a former co-worker told me about Chincoteaque Is and I believe her parents lived there. But, the main part of the conversation that intrigued me was about the restaurant that sold really reasonably priced food or seafood and it was family owned. For some reason I think crabs or crabcakes were on the menu. I think they were going to be closing down around that time too. Anyone know what I am talking about, got any info on it?

TIA :flowers:

Tinkerbell said:
something bad happened, didn't it? :lmao:

And, YES, Bug Spray will be packed! And loaded on! I figured that would be necessary on an Island.
Someone I know left some skin there or at least got a pretty good burn. :lmao:
I remember about 5yrs ago a former co-worker told me about Chincoteaque Is and I believe her parents lived there. But, the main part of the conversation that intrigued me was about the restaurant that sold really reasonably priced food or seafood and it was family owned. For some reason I think crabs or crabcakes were on the menu. I think they were going to be closing down around that time too. Anyone know what I am talking about, got any info on it?
Pony pines maybe?

SeaRide

LexiGirl75 said:

TIA :flowers:

What are you going to do with the info if the place closed down? :confused:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
SeaRide said:
What are you going to do with the info if the place closed down? :confused:

You know I was hoping that someone would share, excitedly, excitable stories about eating good for cheap there back when. Old memories and such. :whistle:

I think I get turned on by knowing somewhere someone is getting steals and deals mainly me but anyone. :biggrin: :flowers:

cdsulhoff

Yeah at my place. I have a beach house there!!! It is a very quite place to go for a vacation. You can always stay at one of the Bed and Breakfast that is on the corner of Main and Poplar street. These B&B are beautiful... To eat go to Steamers. Also bring plenty of Bug spray. Also Bills Seafood right next to the Fire Station is AWESOME for Breakfast. They have the best sausage... If you need any suggestion just let me know Or come and visit me on Ridge road.. We always take a boat out..

When are you going!!!

Last edited:

cdsulhoff

Randi63 said:

Don't forget to tell her to go on the second weekend. They have what is called the 2S. Which is every second Saturday the local shops do open house thing with free food and all sorts of crafts and it is fun..Oh yeah make sure you go to MR whippy and Ponytails.

Even though they change their way of making saltwater taffy...

SO Randi where at on the island do they live at? Our house is right near
Toms Coves camp grounds..

cdsulhoff

abbey said:
If you like Seafood, you need to try Steamers while you are down there, it is great!! but be warned if you are on any kind of a diet forget it, it is a ton of food

OMG Love steamers. I always get the steamer pot. It is like 1 lb of shrimp Crab legs and lots of them. Clams Potatoes and Corn all in the cute little steamer pot.. So GOOD!!! AWW MAN I can't wait now. I think we will go sometime at the end of the month. WE already open the house for the season. So we are good to go.. Even though I am so ready to tear down the house and start over fresh so we can rent it out..

cdsulhoff

LexiGirl75 said:
You know I was hoping that someone would share, excitedly, excitable stories about eating good for cheap there back when. Old memories and such. :whistle:

I think I get turned on by knowing somewhere someone is getting steals and deals mainly me but anyone. :biggrin: :flowers:

IT was called skippers or spinnakers. Something like that. Friends of the family owned that place.and she got effed over by the lender. LONG story...
OH I was sooo mad, she had the best seafood stuffed flounder. I went there all the time for dinner when she was in business. Yeah the Corporate world doesn't care one bit about the small people trying to get by..

cdsulhoff

Ok I am just sooo glad to finally find people that go there as well.. I don't know how many time I asked someone about CI and they are like HUH!

Their is a store Osprey Nest Art Gallery on main street that sell paintings and Southwest stuff GO IN THERE. The owners are very sweet people and you will find that you will be talking to them awhile but oh so nice... Also the Wine store has some unique wines..

Last edited: