Vegetarians are throwing me for a loop

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
My best friend and her new dude are coming in to town this weekend, and she just just informed me that they are vegetarians. :yikes:

What the heck am I going to feel them while they are here?

We are a meat-eating family....I'm not even sure what a veggie is anymore.

Anybody have any suggestions for a picnic meal that we can easily take on a boat?

Also a breakfast meal that doesn't use any meat products?

J

jp2854

You could umm for breakfast make a kiesh with eggs and veggies in it that you cook up a head of time and you can either eat it cold or heat it up with a side of hashbrowns. Do they have a stove or microwave on the boat do you know?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
jp2854 said:
You could umm for breakfast make a kiesh with eggs and veggies in it that you cook up a head of time and you can either eat it cold or heat it up with a side of hashbrowns.
I was thinking a bowl of cereal.

J

jp2854

You can also go to foodnetwork.com and search veggie dishes for lunch ideas and I bet they will give you some ideas there too.

lovinmaryland

BadGirl said:
My best friend and her new dude are coming in to town this weekend, and she just just informed me that they are vegetarians. :yikes:

What the heck am I going to feel them while they are here?

We are a meat-eating family....I'm not even sure what a veggie is anymore.

Anybody have any suggestions for a picnic meal that we can easily take on a boat?

hmmm so no meat would this also include eggs, milk that kinda stuff? what about seafood? I have a good recipe for shrimp and orzo salad.

i had a party a few weeks back and a friend of mine brought his new girlfriend who was a vegetarian, i made what i originally had planned and then i had a fe other things special for her like a tropical fruit salad, a veggie platter w/ dip, and a greek salad & a pasta salad.

for breakfast i would just go buy some crossiants and have all kinds of fresh fruit like pineapple, mango, papaya, kiwis, strawberries etc...

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
vraiblonde said:
I was thinking a bowl of cereal.
Hey, what about that delicious marinated asparagus dish that you made? And the cold noodle salad? That one might be difficult because of the messiness of the long noodles, but perhaps I can make it with smaller pasta shapes that would be more friendly to eat out of a pic-a-nick basket.

They eat seafood, so maybe some chilled shrimp with a nice dipping sauce.

Care to share your recipes, Vrai?

Vince

Just tell them the truth. You don't know about vegetarian cooking, and let them come up with some recipes and cook them, or show you how to cook them. :shrug:

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
How about veg pita's. Cut the top off a whole wheat pita bread, put a little mayo in on each side then stuff it with provolone cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, tomatoe, pickles, green peppers and then squirt a little oil and vinegar in the stuffed pita. :drool: Very filling also.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
lovinmaryland said:
hmmm so no meat would this also include eggs, milk that kinda stuff? what about seafood? I have a good recipe for shrimp and orzo salad.

i had a party a few weeks back and a friend of mine brought his new girlfriend who was a vegetarian, i made what i originally had planned and then i had a fe other things special for her like a tropical fruit salad, a veggie platter w/ dip, and a greek salad & a pasta salad.

for breakfast i would just go buy some crossiants and have all kinds of fresh fruit like pineapple, mango, papaya, kiwis, strawberries etc...
They are of the pseudo-vegetarian variety, because they do eat milk products, cheese, and seafood.

I'd be very interested in getting your shrimp and orzo salad recipe.

Your other suggestions sound like great options as well.

I don't want to spend a ton of time worrying about what to feed these people. It would be so much easier to just pick up a bucket of chicken before heading out on the boat. But noooooooooo. :bawl:

Thanks!

sccrmommy

Tell them the McDonalds is close by and they sell salads! LOL. No just kidding. Boca Burgers are pretty good for vegetarians. Pasta is always a good choice too and vegetarian lasagna

Toxick

Splat
BadGirl said:

Are they vegans or vegatarians?

Like, would they eat eggs? Or milk/butter/cream? If they just avoid meat - rather than all animal products - breakfast is easy. You can do cheese omelettes (maybe throw in some green & red peppers or eggplant), toast, and oranges, maybe some hash-browns... or you can do strawberries and cream. Fruits are excellent breakfast foods, with enough sugar/carbs to start the day with a jolt of energy. Then there's always Bran-flakes, Cheerios, Cap'n Crunch.

For a boat trip, I'd also bring a lot of fruit and nuts - it's easy to eat while the boat rolls. Veggie subs are always good: Picture a nice cold cut sub with everything on it... then take away the cold-cuts.

If they're vegans, I got nothing. Just chop up some celery and carrots and some sort of soy-based dip, let them dive in.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Vince said:
Just tell them the truth. You don't know about vegetarian cooking, and let them come up with some recipes and cook them, or show you how to cook them. :shrug:
If it were anybody else, I'd probably go with that.

But because she's my bestest friend ever, she deserves me putting forth a little effort to make her happy and providing her with a meal or two that she can actually eat.

lovinmaryland

carolinagirl said:
How about veg pita's. Cut the top off a whole wheat pita bread, put a little mayo in on each side then stuff it with provolone cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, tomatoe, pickles, green peppers and then squirt a little oil and vinegar in the stuffed pita. :drool: Very filling also.

thats a good idea and for the people who eat meat you could have some cut up grilled chicken to put in theirs. you could even make them greek pitas w/ some feta cheese.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BadGirl said:
Care to share your recipes, Vrai?
Of course.

Marinated asparagus

2 bunches fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch asparagus just until tender, about 1 minute. Plunge into a bowl of cold water to cool. Drain asparagus and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in vinaigrette and seal bag. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Just before serving, drain asparagus, reserving vinaigrette for dipping. Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle lightly with lemon zest, parsley, salt, and pepper. Serve reserved vinaigrette in a small dish on the side.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
BadGirl said:
If it were anybody else, I'd probably go with that.

But because she's my bestest friend ever, she deserves me putting forth a little effort to make her happy and providing her with a meal or two that she can actually eat.

You are a great friend. :huggy:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 small yellow squash, chopped
1 1/4 cups teriyaki sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas
DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash until onions are tender. Stir in the teriyaki sauce. When the vegetables are tender, stir in the cooked rice, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
Place 1/4 of the rice and vegetables in each tortilla, and roll u

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Giant has pre made quiches some with all veggies. Fruit etc for breakfast unless they are into the "Morningside Farms" fake meat stuff. (Which to me is grossier than french kissing your grandmother). Veggie kabobs on the grill @ the house. If they do seafood then all of this is much easier.