Pediatrician Recommendation

myers27

Okay. We already have a doctor for my 5 week old but we are thinking of switching. It is not their "practice" to recommend one brand of formula over another, which I completely understand. However, my child has been having some issues as of Thursday with spitting-up and gas/stomach pains. She goes through these fits after eating where she arches her back, kicks her feet and cries uncontrollably for about 30 minutes. She is passing gas fine and has perfectly normal bowel movements. After calling the pediatrician to see if we should switch to a formula that might be a little less tough on her digestive system they said, "We cannot recommend one for you."

I did not ask them which BRAND to use but rather should I switch to one that should help with gassiness or fussiness.

Are there any pediatricians in SOMD area that not necessarily promote one brand over another but would at least offer me some type of suggestion as to what to do. I was told she was constipated and give her Karo syrup 2-3 times a day in a bottle and use gas drops. Well, we have been doing that and that is not the issue.

Please help. Thanks.

btw - she is 5 weeks old - drinking 3 ounces....2 ounces of formula and 1 ounce of breastmilk in each bottle.

I adore Melissa at Dr. Silpa's office in Prince Frederick! :yay: All of the doctors there are top notch. I couldn't ask for a more caring group of people!

M

missperky

Dr. Khetpal 301-737-0500 or Dr. Miller 301-475-7222.

M

Mousebaby

Dr. Sheth is excellent! He is in Lexington Park across from Walmart. Is very nice and takes time to explain things to you. He also does not push medications! He also genuinely cares about all of his patients and it shows! Good Luck! :howdy:

Geek

Mousebaby said:
Dr. Sheth is excellent! He is in Lexington Park across from Walmart. Is very nice and takes time to explain things to you. He also does not push medications! He also genuinely cares about all of his patients and it shows! Good Luck! :howdy:

:yeahthat: He is amazing :yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt
It might not be the formula, so don't think switching will solve the problem. My daughter had terrible colic when she was on breast milk. It took us months to narrow down the problem, but it turned out that it only happened when my wife ate a food coloring called oleoresin of paprika. It's used in some cheeses. We started looking at ingredients to avoid the coloring and problem solved.

tara20639

Dr Skolnick

at Bayshore Pediatrics in Prince Frederick is great. My daughter had similar issues when she was first home from the hospital. I switched her to soy formula and haven't had another problem.

Hawkeyewife

Is there a reason you are supplementing with formula? Maybe if you exclusively breastfed that might help ease the problem. Breastfeeding is really hard, but well worth it and it does get easier with time.

sockgirl77

myers27 said:
Okay. We already have a doctor for my 5 week old but we are thinking of switching. It is not their "practice" to recommend one brand of formula over another, which I completely understand. However, my child has been having some issues as of Thursday with spitting-up and gas/stomach pains. She goes through these fits after eating where she arches her back, kicks her feet and cries uncontrollably for about 30 minutes. She is passing gas fine and has perfectly normal bowel movements. After calling the pediatrician to see if we should switch to a formula that might be a little less tough on her digestive system they said, "We cannot recommend one for you."

I did not ask them which BRAND to use but rather should I switch to one that should help with gassiness or fussiness.

Are there any pediatricians in SOMD area that not necessarily promote one brand over another but would at least offer me some type of suggestion as to what to do. I was told she was constipated and give her Karo syrup 2-3 times a day in a bottle and use gas drops. Well, we have been doing that and that is not the issue.

Please help. Thanks.

btw - she is 5 weeks old - drinking 3 ounces....2 ounces of formula and 1 ounce of breastmilk in each bottle.
What kind of bottle are you using? She may be getting too many air bubbles. The arching of the back could be a signal that she needs a really good burping. BTW~all brands are the same. All made from the same ingredients. They do have a type for gassiness. But, I'm with Hawkeyewife. Try taking the formula away and just solely breastfeeding her. It will help you as well.

sockgirl77 said:
What kind of bottle are you using? She may be getting too many air bubbles.

Not that I'm an expert, but I agree. We're going to be trying Dr. Brown's bottles. They're supposed to be great!

sockgirl77

Speedy70 said:
Not that I'm an expert, but I agree. We're going to be trying Dr. Brown's bottles. They're supposed to be great!
I have a few friends who used them an liked them. They are expensive though. I tried Playtex AirVents (I think) and they were junk. I switched to Evenflo's Comfi with my son but my daughter did not like them. I used the ones that came with my pump for her until she was one month when she had alot of gas. I switched to Avent and the Target version of them. She did great. I'm going to try the Drop Ins with this one. I've heard good things about them.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Nutrimigen is recommended for infants with sensitive stomachs. It costs about twice the amount of regular formula, though.

My daughter went through the same thing you're describing at around 6 weeks. She was exclusively breastfed....To be honest, nothing we did helped--not rice cereal, not switching bottles, not changing feeding times--nothing. It wasn't until around four months that she improved; but it was a drastic improvement.

I can second (or third?) the recommendation for Dr. Sheth. He's awesome.

Good luck!

happy_bee4

Going back to the stars
My daughter had reflux when she was first born. We used Dr. Patel in leonardtown, she had to take prescription liquid meds and he had us use Isomil It was expensive but it def. worked! Good Luck!!

nightowl

Club'nBabySeals said:
Nutrimigen is recommended for infants with sensitive stomachs. It costs about twice the amount of regular formula, though.

My daughter went through the same thing you're describing at around 6 weeks. She was exclusively breastfed....To be honest, nothing we did helped--not rice cereal, not switching bottles, not changing feeding times--nothing. It wasn't until around four months that she improved; but it was a drastic improvement.

We used nutrimigen too with our son but like you it took till he was around 3-4 months old to ease the colic and tummy problems. His problem seemed to be the worse in the early evening time, 4pm-8pm. The gas drops helped some and so did switching to the nutrimigen formula. We also would put him in his swing sometimes and that would ease his discomfort or just walking around with him over our shoulders and softly patting his back.

Our pediatrician is Dr. Dhillon in Leonardtown, 301-475-9499.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hawkeyewife said:
Is there a reason you are supplementing with formula? Maybe if you exclusively breastfed that might help ease the problem. Breastfeeding is really hard, but well worth it and it does get easier with time.
Who's to say it isn't the breastmilk that is the problem?

Maybe a Soy based formula?

I'd definitely try to remove each ingredient for a couple of days to see which (if either) is the culprit. Do formula only for a couple of days, then breast milk only for a couple of days, see if there is a difference.

All of my kids had problems with milk based formula, and after the second didn't even try, went straight for the Soy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nightowl said:
...walking around with him over our shoulders and softly patting his back.

Naaah, you don't have to baby them just because they are babies. Beat that burp out of them.
BG tried that lightly tapping stuff with no success, I showed her the right way to pommel a burp out of a baby!

lovinmaryland

Speedy70 said:
I was lucky and got a set of the Dr. Brown's as a gift yesterday at my shower. :yay:
I recieved the large set from Dr. Brown and a few other Dr. Brown sets, unfortunatley my 8 month old son did not take to those when i switched to bottle feeding. Some of them have never even been used and i think a few of the nipples are still in plastic packaging. You are welcome to them if you are interested.

Ange1icflowers

I HIGHLY Recommend Dr. Sheth in California (Lex Park?). He has been wonderful with all 3 of my boys.

My youngest, Caleb, was born April 5, 2007. Around 5 weeks old he too got COLICKY. Since he was a preemie (born at 32w5d), the idea of him not wanting to eat REALLY bothered us, so off to the pediatrician we went. Dr Sheth sat there while I fed him to see the symptoms and to SEE what Caleb was experiencing.

He recommended either Nutramigen or Alimentum but due to the cost factor, we just couldn't do it. We kept him on the Isomil (soy formula).

We DID, however, find that making the formula up way in advance and keeping it in the fridge (and just reheating it come feeding time) cut down on his discomfort, as did switching to the Dr. Brown's bottles and gas drops (those things were a MIRACLE for us).

I too breast and formula feed. I do not make enough to exclusively breastfeed due to glandular insufficiency. I just don't have the glands to make enough. I tried to exclusively breastfeed my 1st and after a month and a half, he had lost 3lbs. NOT good.

This experience, along with a WONDERFUL lactation consultant here in St Mary's helped me accept that supplementing was the best for my children and made breastfeeding even more special. NOw I know that my child is nourished, AND he gets the immunities and benefits of breastmilk, without the stress, and we can bond better.

I wish you all the luck and if you ever need someone to "vent" to who understand, feel free to PM me!