BB and pellet guns

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
At what age do you think it's ok to let a child have access to these?

And NO... I'm not getting my child either. I'm just cusious as to what the general consensus is as to what age it's ok to let them play with such things.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
pixiegirl said:

And NO... I'm not getting my child either. I'm just cusious as to what the general consensus is as to what age it's ok to let them play with such things.

I think it's more a maturity thing than it is an age thing. My 13-year old son has a paint ball gun. He hardly ever uses it.

I have one 14-year old nephew who is an avid hunter. I have another 14 year old nephew who I don't trust with a butter knife, much less a gun of any kind.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

pixiegirl said:

...or so is a good age for boys to start shooting each other with bb's.

Maybe 12 if you're worried they're not mature enough. They can wait two years to start shooting each other.

jetmonkey

pixiegirl said:

Just make sure to let him that it is only for shooting your friends; not birds, toads, cats etc.

Last edited:

pagirl

I think it should be based on maturity. In addition, strict supervision should be enforced during and after the child has learned to handle the BB gun. The child should understand the responsibilities and implications of using it.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Ok, so to get to the real situation... Over the weekend an adult let my 5 year old play with a bb gun, totally supervised. I'm tweaked for a couple of reasons. #1 I wasn't asked if this was ok beforehand, #2 I think 5 is too young and #3 said adult didn't tell me about it, my son did. And just so no one thinks it's daddy and I'm just being the mean ex; it wasn't his dad.

smoothmarine187

I definetely think he should have asked you first. I have met people that really hate guns and do not want their children anywhere around them. I agree with you though, 5 is to young.

jetmonkey

pixiegirl said:
Ok, so to get to the real situation... Over the weekend an adult let my 5 year old play with a bb gun, totally supervised. I'm tweaked for a couple of reasons. #1 I wasn't asked if this was ok beforehand, #2 I think 5 is too young and #3 said adult didn't tell me about it, my son did. And just so no one thinks it's daddy and I'm just being the mean ex; it wasn't his dad.
That adult is a douche.

Nanny Pam

Pix,
My grandson is almost 9, and he got one for Christmas. It uses it ONLY when my son is there with him. Never alone.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
pixiegirl said:
5 is too young
Adult overstepped their authority. You should have been asked in advance.

nomoney

pixiegirl said:

5 isn't too young to use a bb gun supervised. Shooting at cans and what not. But it was wrong for someone to allow them to use one without clearing it with you first, or at least letting you know after the fact.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Who is this...

pixiegirl said:

...adult? I mean, I don't want anyone letting my 5 year old touch a weapon without my BEING there, let alone them taking that on responsibility themselves. They seem to have some sort of comfort level of what is or is not OK with you and they did have your kid, so, what gives?

fddog

Bow wow
pixiegirl said:

i started my son with a bb gun at, 7 under adult supervision. He will not touch the gun without me present. The bad part is you didn't get told about it first. so someone needs a :smack: for not telling ya

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Larry Gude said:
...adult? I mean, I don't want anyone letting my 5 year old touch a weapon without my BEING there, let alone them taking that on responsibility themselves. They seem to have some sort of comfort level of what is or is not OK with you and they did have your kid, so, what gives?

My ex MIL. As most of us know, bio daddy is AWOL (thank God). I still maintain a relationship with his family and let the ex MIL have the boy on occasion. She and I get along fine BUT this is one thing in a long list where I feel she has overstepped her bounds. She had the boy last Saturday and kept him overnight. I got him back yesterday evening and she said not one word about him shooting bb/pellet guns but on the way home I heard all about it. I haven't brought the issue up with her yet as I want to think about it and not knee jerk. But, I'm not happy about it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
Over the weekend an adult let my 5 year old play with a bb gun, totally supervised. I'm tweaked for a couple of reasons. #1 I wasn't asked if this was ok beforehand, #2 I think 5 is too young and #3 said adult didn't tell me about it, my son did.

Perhaps you should find better supervision for your kids and quit leaving them with adults you have trust issues with. JMO.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
pixiegirl said:
My ex MIL. As most of us know, bio daddy is AWOL (thank God). I still maintain a relationship with his family and let the ex MIL have the boy on occasion. She and I get along fine BUT this is one thing in a long list where I feel she has overstepped her bounds. She had the boy last Saturday and kept him overnight. I got him back yesterday evening and she said not one word about him shooting bb/pellet guns but on the way home I heard all about it. I haven't brought the issue up with her yet as I want to think about it and not knee jerk. But, I'm not happy about it.

This is also coupled with the fact that bio daddy has been completely gone/no contact for a year now. It was HIS bb gun. Ex MIL and I don't see eye to eye on the boy forgetting about his sperm donor. I'm almost inclined to think that this was an attempt to passively bring bio daddy into boy's forethought. He doesn't talk about him anymore so let's give him something to remind him of his daddy.... IT very well may not be the case but she has been upfront about her opinion of me hoping he'll eventually forget the POS that fathered him.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wtf...

pixiegirl said:
This is also coupled with the fact that bio daddy has been completely gone/no contact for a year now. It was HIS bb gun. Ex MIL and I don't see eye to eye on the boy forgetting about his sperm donor. I'm almost inclined to think that this was an attempt to passively bring bio daddy into boy's forethought. He doesn't talk about him anymore so let's give him something to remind him of his daddy.... IT very well may not be the case but she has been upfront about her opinion of me hoping he'll eventually forget the POS that fathered him.

...is grandma doing giving her 5 year old grandson a BB gun?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????