Flat Tops Historical Reunion

sockgirl77

Date: 6/11/2007
Time: 2 PM
Duration: 04:00

If you can share stories, knowledge or photos about Flat Tops/Lexington Manor because you lived or worked there during the 1940’s, 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s, 1980’s, 1990’s and 2000’s plan to attend this information gathering event and reunion. Special remarks are planned for 4 p.m. to commemorate the occasion and recall the neighborhood’s cultural heritage. With the involvement of Maryland Historic Trust and a team of folklorists, St. Mary’s County hopes to identify and document numerous aspects of life in the Flat Tops for deposit with the Maryland Historical Trust Library, Lexington Park Library, and the Patuxent Naval Air Museum. The county would like all former residents to bring photographs from the Flat Tops/Lexington Manor to be copied for possible inclusion in the project. All former residents and those who worked there are invited to attend.

:roflmao:

sockgirl77

nachomama said:
So, you're coming up for that, aren't ya...
Um...no. I'll have to pass on that one. I moved to St. Mary's in the late 80's and it was a dump back then. But let's go talk about the culture that it provided St. Mary's county. :lmao:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I can hear it now..."well I lived there once when I was on the welfare with my 4 kids. When the food stamps runned out at the end of da mont, we's just ate the cocaroaches. It was hard cause all my babies daddies is in jail so I cant gets no money to buy crack."

This will bring out some great stories. The slums of St Marys County.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
baileydog said:
It was housing so long ago all anyone can remember is the slums called flattops.
Well, at one point many people called it a home. I think it is great they're trying to bring everyone together to remember what it used to be.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I dont think you would say that if you had to live there. Which by the way I did not. Just knew people who did.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Chasey_Lane said:
Well, at one point many people called it a home. I think it is great they're trying to bring everyone together to remember what it used to be.

Than they should've capped the residency/work history at the 50's or 60's, instead of inviting the those from the later years as well.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
baileydog said:
I can hear it now..."well I lived there once when I was on the welfare with my 4 kids. When the food stamps runned out at the end of da mont, we's just ate the cocaroaches. It was hard cause all my babies daddies is in jail so I cant gets no money to buy crack."

This will bring out some great stories. The slums of St Marys County.

Not everyone that lived there was on welfare and on drugs. I grew up in that neighborhood and as far as I know--am OK. Will I be at the reunion? That will be no, only because I won't be able to make it. I think it would be interesting to catch up with neighbors that I grew up around.

Elle

Happy Camper!
baileydog said:
I dont think you would say that if you had to live there. Which by the way I did not. Just knew people who did.
I never knew that people were forced to live there I always thought people had a freedom to choose:shrug:

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
vraiblonde said:
:yeahthat:

I can't imagine anyone who lived there after 1980 or so having fond memories of it.

Fond memories--you could say that. Friendships were formed--and that happens no matter where you live. Just because we may of lived in a little bit of a rougher neighborhood--doesn't mean that you can't have good times OR good memories.

LordStanley

I know nothing
sockgirl77 said:
Date: 6/11/2007
Time: 2 PM
Duration: 04:00

If you can share stories, knowledge or photos about Flat Tops/Lexington Manor because you lived or worked there during the 1940’s, 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s, 1980’s, 1990’s and 2000’s plan to attend this information gathering event and reunion. Special remarks are planned for 4 p.m. to commemorate the occasion and recall the neighborhood’s cultural heritage. With the involvement of Maryland Historic Trust and a team of folklorists, St. Mary’s County hopes to identify and document numerous aspects of life in the Flat Tops for deposit with the Maryland Historical Trust Library, Lexington Park Library, and the Patuxent Naval Air Museum. The county would like all former residents to bring photographs from the Flat Tops/Lexington Manor to be copied for possible inclusion in the project. All former residents and those who worked there are invited to attend.

:roflmao:

Were you sad when they tore down your house?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
maxima87 said:
Fond memories--you could say that. Friendships were formed--and that happens no matter where you live. Just because we may of lived in a little bit of a rougher neighborhood--doesn't mean that you can't have good times OR good memories.
That's a good point :yay:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
maxima87 said:
Not everyone that lived there was on welfare and on drugs. I grew up in that neighborhood and as far as I know--am OK. Will I be at the reunion? That will be no, only because I won't be able to make it. I think it would be interesting to catch up with neighbors that I grew up around.
While I'm not from around here and I didn't grow up around here either, but I understand your thoughts. My dad grew up in Seat Pleasant (PG County) and I wouldn't step foot near there these days, but I'm sure he'd love to drive by his old neighborhood just because. Same with my mom - she went to Friendly HS, graduated in the 70's. I know both of my parents have great memories from their childhood. :smile: