Hummingbird Rescue

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
The shop mechanics just rescued a hummer here that was trapped back in the shop. It had been flying back and forth very close to the ceiling (Think open-space about three stories high) for a couple of hours and would not come down far enough to go out the door. I finally filled a feeder, one of the guys went to the high storage area and held out the feeder on a long pole. Little hummer went right for it. In a surprising act of gracefulness , that mechanic slowly passed the pole down to another mechanic who held it up and lowered it ever so slowly after hummer landed again. Second mechanic then walked ever so slowly with the pole, lowering it as he went until he got out the door with the hummer. :clap: for my co-working macho men!

I believe that worked so much better than the original idea of "Think we can trap it in a trash can, by using the trash can as a net?" idea.

Rael

Supper's Ready
BS Gal said:
I believe that worked so much better than the original idea of "Think we can trap it in a trash can, by using the trash can as a net?" idea.
Great story, BS Gal. Once a hummingbird trapped itself in our garage and flew how you described (close to the ceiling). Even with the garage door wide open, it couldn't figure out how to get outside. After awhile it was easy to catch, just ran out of energy. I wasn't as creative as your helpers, though. I used a baseball cap, gently of course.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
wineo said:
Congrats to the men. :lmao: That was a great rescue story.
I'm gonna buy them lunch next week. They both told me it would die tonight if we didn't get it out of there. I tried standing like the Statue of Liberty holding the feeder, but he/she wouldn't come down. And that's when the brains all started working together. Honestly, I didn't expect that compassion from those guys. I wonder if I have to do a work order for that 15 minutes......

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Rael said:
Great story, BS Gal. Once a hummingbird trapped itself in our garage and flew how you described (close to the ceiling). Even with the garage door wide open, it couldn't figure out how to get outside. After awhile it was easy to catch, just ran out of energy. I wasn't as creative as your helpers, though. I used a baseball cap, gently of course.
We were leaving within the hour from work. It would have been trapped and died so we had to do something. Amazing that as SOON as they got that feeder up there, it landed and just sucked. I knew it would if we could get the feeder up high enough. It just would NOT come down from the ceiling. I don't know why they do that.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
BS Gal said:
I'm gonna buy them lunch next week. They both told me it would die tonight if we didn't get it out of there. I tried standing like the Statue of Liberty holding the feeder, but he/she wouldn't come down. And that's when the brains all started working together. Honestly, I didn't expect that compassion from those guys. I wonder if I have to do a work order for that 15 minutes......

I was just gonna suggest buying them lunch :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
If they aren't injured and are just worn out, the best thing is to get them to the feeder. I've had them knock themselves out fighting and just put them to the feeder and actually put their little bill in the feeder and they drink and perk right up. It is so cool to see.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
cattitude said:
If they aren't injured and are just worn out, the best thing is to get them to the feeder. I've had them knock themselves out fighting and just put them to the feeder and actually put their little bill in the feeder and they drink and perk right up. It is so cool to see.
It would not stop flying back and forth, back and forth, back and forth WAY up high and would not go less than about 2' from the ceiling. It was really cool when we finally figured out how to get the feeder up there. A real group effort. I was not about to leave work until we figured something out. He would have died. He was exhausted.

Hessian

Hey BS...you are missing an opportunity here...

Tell them you want a couple free oil changes or you'll go down to Napa/Brandywine auto and spill the story about two mechanics saving a 1/2 oz Bird with feeders & poles...They will die from embarrassment and give you what you want!

seriously: I like those birds: I was working outside today by their feeders and they buzzed me several times-it was funny. I did a display board on them and learned they migrate across the Gulf of Mexico!!!

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Hummingbirds burn incredible amounts of energy because of how fast they flap their wings. If they don't find nourishment fast, they can die from exhaustion. Why they don't stop and rest is nature's doing. Also, they are like flies & bees, in that, by instinct, they fly upward. You can catch flies & wasps & bees in a jar and turn it upside down and they won't fly downward to get out of the jar. The same with the hummingbirds but it's also possible that, if they saw light up near the ceiling, they'd naturally fly toward it. :howdy:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
ItalianScallion said:
Hummingbirds burn incredible amounts of energy because of how fast they flap their wings. If they don't find nourishment fast, they can die from exhaustion. Why they don't stop and rest is nature's doing. Also, they are like flies & bees, in that, by instinct, they fly upward. You can catch flies & wasps & bees in a jar and turn it upside down and they won't fly downward to get out of the jar. The same with the hummingbirds but it's also possible that, if they saw light up near the ceiling, they'd naturally fly toward it. :howdy:
We had turned all the lights out in the shop and left the HUGE garage doors open. I was thinking it would head toward the sunlight outside, but he was just freaked out.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Hessian said:
Tell them you want a couple free oil changes or you'll go down to Napa/Brandywine auto and spill the story about two mechanics saving a 1/2 oz Bird with feeders & poles...They will die from embarrassment and give you what you want!

seriously: I like those birds: I was working outside today by their feeders and they buzzed me several times-it was funny. I did a display board on them and learned they migrate across the Gulf of Mexico!!!
:lmao:

Rael

Supper's Ready
I forgot about this story, a good one. :yay:

I also forget exactly when the hummingbirds start showing up around here in the spring, we want to be ready when they do. Start filling up their feeder now? Early April?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I forgot about this story, a good one. :yay:

I also forget exactly when the hummingbirds start showing up around here in the spring, we want to be ready when they do. Start filling up their feeder now? Early April?

Mid to end of April but usually it's not too many. Then they head off to mate around the middle of May and then come back full force in June. That all depends on temperature and rain.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I'll never forget the hummingbird that was stuck in my garage. Scooping that tiny thing up into my hands and feeling his warm little body and crazy beating heart. And then walking outside, opening my hands, and ZIP gone. One of the best experiences ever. :yay:

Isn't it though? I've done that with two. Another one, however, didn't make it. I think he was sick or injured. He was on the feeder but very, very weak. I tried for a few hours to help him..get him to eat..but he died. I was :bawl: