Dogs best friend

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
MINNEAPOLIS -- This time, a man was a dog's best friend.

On Saturday morning a dog swam about 300 yards out into the chilly waters of Lake Harriet. Apparently, it got confused and didn't know where to turn and appeared to be in serious trouble.

About a dozen folks standing on shore were talking to the dog's owner, asking whether it was time to get help.

Just then a man walked up, saw the dog, stripped to his shorts and swam into the 52-degree water. He reached the dog and swam back to shore, talking to the dog the whole way.

"My conscience as a dog owner kicked in," said the rescuer, Mike Back, 28, of Otsego (pictured below).

His own dog, Ozzy, is a black Lab.

After the rescue, Back rested for a while on a bench, put on his clothes and left before the dog's owner could thank him or anyone could get his name. Back identified himself to the Star Tribune on Tuesday.

Pic

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I had to swim out and get my dawg one time when it was snowing because he was busy chasing the swans on the water (who were just playing with him I might add) and he was almost to the Eastern shore before I caught him - does that count? Brrrrrrrr

SeaRide

Originally posted by migtig
I had to swim out and get my dawg one time when it was snowing because he was busy chasing the swans on the water (who were just playing with him I might add) and he was almost to the Eastern shore before I caught him - does that count? Brrrrrrrr
It does count if you were wearing white t-shirt. :cheers:

K

Kizzy

How sweet. My lab would swim in the lake across from the Smallwood Village Center all the time. The newspaper came out and took his picture. It didn't get in the paper until the end of summer and it was in a collage. He had a huge log in his mouth. Of course, dogs are not allowed to swim there anymore. Somebody is always looking to ruin everything.

Athena1078

Social Director
Originally posted by IM4Change
Of course, dogs are not allowed to swim there anymore. Somebody is always looking to ruin everything.
That's why I love Point Lookout, they have a beach you can take your dog to year round.. I take mine there everytime he comes down for a visit