GPS units

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Pete said:

Portable units for camping? Good

Vehicle units like Tom Tom? Bad. They're already obsolete now that cell phones have mapping and directions

J

julz20684

Little thingys that talk to you and give you directions.

mv_princess said:
I have one.
I lost one.
I only used mine on my boat and playing around with, but my sister became so reliant on hers that she gave up on a Mt. Vernon outing because her GPS wouldn't work in the area. :lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Lugnut said:
Vehicle units like Tom Tom? Bad. They're already obsolete now that cell phones have mapping and directions
:yeahthat: VZ Navigator is $10/ month or $3/day. My wife used it yesterday to get to the airport and back (she always gets lost).

Since vehicle units will run you $500 and up, you would have to keep the vehicle one for more than 4 years before it's cheaper than the Verizon subscription.

We only use it about 4 times per year, so it's cheapest for us to just turn it on for a day when we need it.

The accuracy is pretty good. It even has a walking mode that is good when you are walking around downtown DC.

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
I just got a Garmin and I like it a lot. It was 300.00 at Best Buy. They even had cheaper ones which were Magellan.

Toxick

Splat
Lugnut said:

Does the GPS in a cell phone cost extra money for that service? Or is it just a part of the phone that works regardless of phone service?

onebdzee

off the shelf
I got one for the guy I contract for for Christmas last year(can't remember the brand name)....before he got it, he could find his way out of a wet paper bag...he can now :biggrin:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Depends on what youa re looking for and what you plan on using it for.

Current GPS units have integrated live weather, so you can look up the road and see if you are driving into a torrential thunderstorm... Commute? they also have live local trafffic... Music? Integrated XM, bluetooth so you can run your phone through the touchscreen of the GPS..

A lot more involved than the VZ-NAV.. and I haven't tried to put my phone on my steering head to see if I can see the screen in the sun.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Preloaded street maps, built-in Bluetooth wireless capability, hands-free calling
MP3 player, and audio book player
Real-time XM NavTraffic*, XM WX Weather*, and XM Radio* capabilities

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
Depends on what youa re looking for and what you plan on using it for.

Current GPS units have integrated live weather, so you can look up the road and see if you are driving into a torrential thunderstorm... Commute? they also have live local trafffic... Music? Integrated XM, bluetooth so you can run your phone through the touchscreen of the GPS..

A lot more involved than the VZ-NAV.. and I haven't tried to put my phone on my steering head to see if I can see the screen in the sun.
But if it is bluetooth you can route it through the IEEE 1553 Mil Standard bus and pipe it directly through the collision avoidance system and doppler radar on your bike and listen to it on your bluetooth helmet and see the display on the right eye reticle HUD you have.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Pete said:
But if it is bluetooth you can route it through the IEEE 1553 Mil Standard bus and pipe it directly through the collision avoidance system and doppler radar on your bike and listen to it on your bluetooth helmet and see the display on the right eye reticle HUD you have.
:nerd:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
if it's bluetooth why would I route it through ANY bus??

You might want to pull down your skirt, your jealousy is showing!!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I want one for riding in the woods...tell me how fast how far and how the hell to get home...can I get on that does that? How much.. :lmao: