Male Daycare Provider

WishyWashy

Would any of you send your children to a licensed male daycare provider? Something my husband and I have been discussing and I was just curious how other people feel about it??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wouldn't because I am a blatant sexist and don't think guys have any business doing daycare, even though I've had male babysitters for my kids before and they were terrific.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
baileydog said:
Only if he looked like Freddie Prinze Jr. when he did Friends.

Just kidding on this... but if I were to hire a man he would have the worlds greatest references.

I am my wife's alternate. If the she or the kids have a Dr. appointment or there's a teacher conference, that kind of thing, I take the day off work and go home and watch the daycare kids while she goes to whatever it is.

My wife is VERY active in the local and state child care "scene". We go to O.C. every fall for the state conference (she goes to take classes, I go to sell her "Story Time Felt" while she's in class). I have gone to conferences in Calvert, St. Mary's and Anne Arundel with her too. In all that time, I have only met 2 men that were providers.

I'd have no problem taking my kids to a male child care provider vs. a female one.

bohman

huntr1 said:
I am my wife's alternate. If the she or the kids have a Dr. appointment or there's a teacher conference, that kind of thing, I take the day off work and go home and watch the daycare kids while she goes to whatever it is.

My wife is VERY active in the local and state child care "scene". We go to O.C. every fall for the state conference (she goes to take classes, I go to sell her "Story Time Felt" while she's in class). I have gone to conferences in Calvert, St. Mary's and Anne Arundel with her too. In all that time, I have only met 2 men that were providers.

I'd have no problem taking my kids to a male child care provider vs. a female one.

Glad to hear somebody say it. It gets me ticked off when people feel like men can't take care of kids. If I felt that way, I'd give up my daughter to somebody else.

PJumper

WishyWashy said:
Would any of you send your children to a licensed male daycare provider? Something my husband and I have been discussing and I was just curious how other people feel about it??

I think it's actually good to have male babysitter so they can have a "Father" figure in their lives, especially for children of single moms.

SoMDGirl42 said:
I'd be a bit weirded out by a male provider
Perhaps the wife had a higher paying job (or some other mitigating factor) than the husband and they decided that it'd be better for him to stay home with the kids than for the wife to do it? I'd LOVE to be able to stay home with my kids while the wife went to work in an office somewhere.

Maybe he's a single dad and this is his way of being able to spend time with his kids?
Maybe his "regular" job didn't pay enough for him to afford to put the kids in childcare while he worked?

SoMDGirl42 said:
I'd be a bit weirded out by a male provider
If you were "weirded out" by a provider, I'd certainly hope you wouldn't leave your kids with them. That's what the interview process is for. As her officially designated Alternate, I try to be there when my wife does an interview so that if the prospective clients have any questions for me, they can ask them. I may be out cutting the grass, but atleast they get to see me.

Elle

Happy Camper!
huntr1 said:
Perhaps the wife had a higher paying job (or some other mitigating factor) than the husband and they decided that it'd be better for him to stay home with the kids than for the wife to do it? I'd LOVE to be able to stay home with my kids while the wife went to work in an office somewhere.

Maybe he's a single dad and this is his way of being able to spend time with his kids?
Maybe his "regular" job didn't pay enough for him to afford to put the kids in childcare while he worked?
There was an article in the Enterprise last week I think about stay at home dads.