Bruised tailbone...

Cowgirl

About 6 years ago I really bruised my tailbone. It hurt for weeks before it finally got better. Every 6 months or so, I'd sit wrong, or do something (like go for long car trips) and it would get bruised again. It always takes a couple weeks to heal. I just recently hurt it, and it is such a pain. Is it worth it to go to the doctor? The way I see it, they can't do anything about it. :shrug: Is it possible to chip the tailbone? I'm wondering if I did that. Even if I did chip it, they can't do anything, right? Anyone have this problem?

M

Mousebaby

Strange you should ask, my husband has a similar problem. He borrowed our sons bike to ride to work one day because his tires were flat. He has regretted it ever since! This was last summer and to this day he cannot sit long on anything hard or even for car trips without it really hurting. My experience is this, my mother broke her tailbone pretty badly many years ago when she fell down the steps, but they did nothing to fix it so to speak. They just told her to take aspirin and try not to sit for very long. I would think a few days of a high dose of Ibuprofin might make it feel better until the next time it flairs up. Sorry I didn't have good news. :huggy:

MMDad

Lem Putt
My wife broke her tailbone very badly a few weeks ago. They aren't doing anything for her other than drugs and x-rays to make sure it heals right. If yours did not heal right, there are things the Dr. might be able to do. You should get it looked at, preferably next time it hurts. They'll probably take x-rays and tell you to just live with it, but there is a chance they'll see something they can help with.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I've broken mine. They can't do anything except give you drugs. Or at least they couldn't in my situation. I did it probably 10 years ago and to this day I feel it now and again. There are no butt casts. :huggy:

MMDad

Lem Putt
BS Gal said:
I've broken mine. They can't do anything except give you drugs. Or at least they couldn't in my situation. I did it probably 10 years ago and to this day I feel it now and again. There are no butt casts. :huggy:
The worst part is you can't :gossip: while it's broken. I'm dying here!

Tina2001aniT

Cowgirl said:
About 6 years ago I really bruised my tailbone. It hurt for weeks before it finally got better. Every 6 months or so, I'd sit wrong, or do something (like go for long car trips) and it would get bruised again. It always takes a couple weeks to heal. I just recently hurt it, and it is such a pain. Is it worth it to go to the doctor? The way I see it, they can't do anything about it. :shrug: Is it possible to chip the tailbone? I'm wondering if I did that. Even if I did chip it, they can't do anything, right? Anyone have this problem?

I have broken mine twice. The first time I thought I had just bruised it, and dealt with the pain for months. Then I drove home from Annapolis mall one night and my gosh that sucker hurt. I was trying to get out of the car and baby the hurting butt bone and I fell onto the pavement, and finally at that point went to the hospital for x rays. Doc said well you broke it, you actually have a new break and an old break. There was nothing they could do for it, just some pain pills. That was years ago and I still feel it now and then.

There are special cushions made to ease the pain, they have a cut out v where the tail bone is and are supposed to take some of the pressure off of it. I cant spell it but its something like coccxi cushion. Medical supply stores and some pharmacies carry these. I have no personal experience with the problem but know people who swear by theses.

M

Mousebaby

KAT20619 said:
There are special cushions made to ease the pain, they have a cut out v where the tail bone is and are supposed to take some of the pressure off of it. I cant spell it but its something like coccxi cushion. Medical supply stores and some pharmacies carry these. I have no personal experience with the problem but know people who swear by theses.

:yeahthat: I found this one pretty easily online.

http://support-mobility.drleonards....Cushions-Pillows/Orthopedic-Cushion/33860.cfm

Cowgirl

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm pretty sure I did break it...it's very swollen. I definitely will get a cushion...I've been rolling up t-shirts to use in the car. :bawl: It is so painful. I've got good drugs (leftover from surgery) but I'm going to take ibuprofen instead. :yay: Hopefully it'll heal soon.

Pete

Repete
Cowgirl said:
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm pretty sure I did break it...it's very swollen. I definitely will get a cushion...I've been rolling up t-shirts to use in the car. :bawl: It is so painful. I've got good drugs (leftover from surgery) but I'm going to take ibuprofen instead. :yay: Hopefully it'll heal soon.
800mg Motrin 4X per day and lay off doggy for a month or 2 :yay:

Dr Pete

Booboo3604

Cowgirl said:

I had a friend who rode on a four wheeler with me. She had never rode before and was holding on to the grill thing on the back which was a bad idea to begin with and the acrylic nails didnt help. We came to a big mud water pit on the trail so I kept it to the side as much as possible until we got to a point I started to feel it sink and I didn't want to kill it so I told her to hold on. Well to make the story short, the back end kicked out and I leaned the right way, she leaned the wrong way and fell off straight in the foot and a half of muddy water. Landed smack on her tail bone. She was hurting for a good while but never went to the doctor. A few months later she must have irritated the old injury and she went to the Dr. Turns out she had fractured it. He gave her pains meds but told her there wasn't anything he could do there on out for it. It would constantly be a pain for her.

Last edited:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I've 'broken' my tailbone, and it is one of the most painful experiences; the 'exam'...done by a US Navy Dr. consisted of an x-ray and 'digital manipulation' to see if the tip was broken- ( or so he claimed)...:killingme

Regardless; I got one of those donut thingys to sit on (it helped); and took pain pills. I think I had something stronger than Motrin, but don't recall exactly what it medication it was. It took a very long time (3 months) to heal and every now and then, it hurts if I sit for a long time.

Cowgirl

SEABREEZE 1957 said:
I've 'broken' my tailbone, and it is one of the most painful experiences; the 'exam'...done by a US Navy Dr. consisted of an x-ray and 'digital manipulation' to see if the tip was broken- ( or so he claimed)...:killingme

Regardless; I got one of those donut thingys to sit on (it helped); and took pain pills. I think I had something stronger than Motrin, but don't recall exactly what it medication it was. It took a very long time (3 months) to heal and every now and then, it hurts if I sit for a long time.

I really do believe I would kill someone if they tried to do that right now.

This is awful timing...I have to go to W-S, NC on Tuesday. :jameo: 7 hrs in a car! :jameo:

M

Mousebaby

Cowgirl said:
I really do believe I would kill someone if they tried to do that right now.

This is awful timing...I have to go to W-S, NC on Tuesday. :jameo: 7 hrs in a car! :jameo:

Start looking for medical supply stores. I would even check out your local pharmacy's. You might find one of those cushions there. If all else fails, call you dr. and see if they have one. :huggy:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
SEABREEZE 1957 said:

We must have had the same Navy doctor. "Pull down your pants and bend over!" :lmao:

Skateboarding on pavement + cigarette in one hand with beer in the other while attempting kick spin = fractured tailbone :biggrin: