New Orleans

jfrenaye

I love the town---any other Big Easy lovers out here. Care to share some of your undiscovered favorites?

jackers

Huge fan of NOLA. I really wanted to go on vacation down there this year (they can definately use our money) but closing on my house took too much of my slush fund.

There is always next year for a good old po' boy!

K

Kain99

It's truly haunting to see anyone talk about New Orleans. Those people suffered horror.

I can't even imagine, partying like a drunken retard on their turf.

jfrenaye

I was down for Mardi Gras this year and it is coming back, but they do need the money and tourism makes the town go round! The Quarter is all up to speed (except for the visitors) but the outskirts of downtown are still hurting real bad. Took some time and spent a day and ahalf swinging a hammer. It felt good!

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
I'm in New Orleans right now having lots of fun visiting family and stuff. I am originally form here. It's a great place to live.

M

Mousebaby

I lived there when I was 7, don't really remember much, but I do remember Mardi Gras! :getdown:

SamSpade

I went for Mardi Gras back in '91 and went back again for a business trip three years later. I liked it, but to my knowledge from those who live there - it's always struggled, always had poverty, high unemployment and without Mardi Gras it would probably crumble.

I have no idea what it's like now. Part of its charm is its otherworldly grunge. It's a nice place to visit but...

MMDad

Lem Putt
Any time I want to remember NO, I go into a porty potty and inhale deeply. The heat, humidity, urine, and feces are just like Bourbon Street!

R

remaxrealtor

jfrenaye said:
I love the town---any other Big Easy lovers out here. Care to share some of your undiscovered favorites?
I used to spend so much time there. Gotta love: a debris sammich from Mother's, Acme Oysters, the French market, the zoo, garden district, the cemetaries.............Oh I miss that city!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kain99 said:
I can't even imagine, partying like a drunken retard on their turf.
No, it's a much better idea to avoid them and let their tourism die and all their businesses die with it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MMDad said:
Any time I want to remember NO, I go into a porty potty and inhale deeply. The heat, humidity, urine, and feces are just like Bourbon Street!
You'd need a bunch of drunken hookers and panhandlers in that porta-potty, then it would be perfect!

AndyMarquisLIVE

vraiblonde said:
No, it's a much better idea to avoid them and let their tourism die and all their businesses die with it.
Or let George Bush's weather machine create another Hurricane Katrina and give NOLA a direct hit. :evil: :killingme

Waste of money to rebuild New Orleans methinks.

jackers

Just curious, have you ever been there?

NOLA is rich in American history. They had a huge influence in music and food. It should definately be rebuilt.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
jackers said:
NOLA is rich in American history. They had a huge influence in music and food. It should definately be rebuilt.
The problem with NOLA is that the government has ruined the people and Katrina highlighted that for all the world to see. But when I was there I had a blast and would go back again. :yay:

Bourbon Street feels like you're in a foreign city almost - smells, hookers and all.

tara20639

I ended up here because of Katrina. I loved living in New Orleans for the time I did, but I can't imagine ever going back for anything more than a visit. Life is hard there right now, and a lot of the amenities are gone with no sign of returning.

jfrenaye

AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Waste of money to rebuild New Orleans methinks.

You ever been? I am guessing not! Perhaps it was a waste of money to rebuild Miami after Andrew? San Francisco after the earthquake? Chicago after the fire? The smaller burbs in Kansas after the twisters?

The history of New Orleans is amazing. THe people are amazing, the culture, music, food, and yes the debauchery. It is one of the oldest and most unique places on the planet and I have been to many!

Nothing like sitting in Lafittes Blacksmith Shop listening to the piano player till 4am with nothing more than candles for light.

Nothing like a Mufaletta or a Po Boy from Central Grocery or Mothers.

The burgers at Port of Call. The Jazz at Snug Harbor. The albino alligator at the Aquarium, golfing at City Park, the architecture of the city especially the Garden District. Antiquing.

I could go on and on!