Pilonidal cyst?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You probably don't have one...you just have a broken tailbone, right? Sometimes you can have a small piece of bone broken off, floating around. Have you had a CT scan of your spine?

Cowgirl

cattitude said:
You probably don't have one...you just have a broken tailbone, right? Sometimes you can have a small piece of bone broken off, floating around. Have you had a CT scan of your spine?

Well, I went to the doc on friday, and he didn't even look at it...just touched it (and I yelled) and gave me a script for Tramadol (which doesn't work at all). He said take that and 800 mg/ Ibuprofen every 8 hrs. He asked if I had an abcess, and I said no (because the skin is intact, no "pimple" like things-ew) . Then I got home and was thinking about it....and near the tailbone is a lump....so I went to the Urgen Care place Saturday, and the doc said it looked like I had a cyst...but it isn't very advanced. He gave me a script for tetracycline, and told me if it doesn't clear up after the antibiotics I should call a surgeon. :ohwell:

Cowgirl

If the antibiotics don't work, I'm definitely getting an x-ray so I know exactly what's going on.

Cowgirl

Nickel said:
A friend of Dustin's had one. I did not envy his wife. :roflmao:

Did she have to help him out?! It grosses me out!! I hope these antibiotics work....I don't want an abcess near my rear. :jameo: :jameo:

I've read that they can be caused from trauma...which makes sense b/c I already injured my tailbone.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Cowgirl said:
Did she have to help him out?! It grosses me out!! I hope these antibiotics work....I don't want an abcess near my rear. :jameo: :jameo:

I've read that they can be caused from trauma...which makes sense b/c I already injured my tailbone.
Yes! Or at least I think so...I internally did this ----->:lalala: whenever Dustin brought it up. :lol: He had to have it removed, so the hole it previously inhabited was packed with gauze, which she had to remove and replace frequently. Because you obviously can't do that yourself. It gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I had a Delayed Entry Soldier that the MEPS doctor said had one and wouldn't let him ship.. His doctor told him to soak the lump in NAIR and walla it was gone..

Wasn't a Cyst, but an ingrown hair.

pgtransplant

I had one 10 years ago it was all bloody and nasty.. After I had it removed It was left open to heal from the inside out and packed it was so nasty... it was one of the deepest the surgeon ever seen

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And I don't think an abcess HAS to look like a pimple.. you can have an abcess that is still totally under the skin. This sounds like what you are describing.. sensitive to the touch.. etc..

bobbyb

Pilonidal cyst removed

I had my Pilonidal cyst removed many years ago. It can be very painful. You need to see a good surgeon whether it heals up this time or not, the surgeon will tell you what the best course of treatment is. If it just heals up now it may flair up again at the most incontinent time. Or it may need surgery now. It is a very common procedure and the surgeons are very familiar with the problem.

It is a heredity thing and may show up in your kids when they get to college. The Pediatrician can tell you if your kids have the trait or not just by looking at their back and tailbone just below the waist.

Our youngest son’s flared when he was 22 after he bought a Jeep and was in his third year of sitting in classrooms at college. We had a great surgeon and he used the latest procedure with a dye to find all the parts of the cyst so he could cut it all out. But is almost cost him his finals that semester.

Because it is in a “dirty area” the incisions often get infected and the Dr. may have to open the incision up so it will drain. If this occurs the incision will take 5 to 6 weeks to heal. Choice of surgeon is very important. Always ask about using the dye.

My son was very active at work and sports and the incision had to be opened. We had to change the dressing and clean the wound twice a day for 5 weeks. It is the grossest thing I have ever had to do, although my son had no pain during the ordeal.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pilonidal_cyst/article_em.htm

Most doctors think that ingrown hairs cause pilonidal cysts. Pilonidal means "nest of hair." It is common to find hair follicles inside the cyst.

Another theory is that pilonidal cysts appear after trauma to the sacrococcygeal region (the region relating to both the sacrum [the lower vertebrae] and coccyx). During World War II, more than 80,000 soldiers developed pilonidal cysts that required a hospital stay. People thought the cysts were due to irritation from riding in bumpy Jeeps. For a while, the condition was actually called “Jeep disease.”

Last edited:

Cowgirl

bobbyb said:
I had my Pilonidal cyst removed many years ago. It can be very painful. You need to see a good surgeon whether it heals up this time or not, the surgeon will tell you what the best course of treatment is. If it just heals up now it may flair up again at the most incontinent time. Or it may need surgery now. It is a very common procedure and the surgeons are very familiar with the problem.

It is a heredity thing and may show up in your kids when they get to college. The Pediatrician can tell you if your kids have the trait or not just by looking at their back and tailbone just below the waist.

Our youngest son’s flared when he was 22 after he bought a Jeep and was in his third year of sitting in classrooms at college. We had a great surgeon and he used the latest procedure with a dye to find all the parts of the cyst so he could cut it all out. But is almost cost him his finals that semester.

Because it is in a “dirty area” the incisions often get infected and the Dr. may have to open the incision up so it will drain. If this occurs the incision will take 5 to 6 weeks to heal. Choice of surgeon is very important. Always ask about using the dye.

My son was very active at work and sports and the incision had to be opened. We had to change the dressing and clean the wound twice a day for 5 weeks. It is the grossest thing I have ever had to do, although my son had no pain during the ordeal.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pilonidal_cyst/article_em.htm

Most doctors think that ingrown hairs cause pilonidal cysts. Pilonidal means "nest of hair." It is common to find hair follicles inside the cyst.

Another theory is that pilonidal cysts appear after trauma to the sacrococcygeal region (the region relating to both the sacrum [the lower vertebrae] and coccyx). During World War II, more than 80,000 soldiers developed pilonidal cysts that required a hospital stay. People thought the cysts were due to irritation from riding in bumpy Jeeps. For a while, the condition was actually called “Jeep disease.”

:jameo: I hope the antibiotics take care of it.

BlackSheep

bobbyb said:

Another theory, a pocket formed where we shudda had a tail! :whistle:

Cowgirl

Kain99 said:
God I feel your pain just reading about it! Get some rest sugar. :huggy:

I know...I googled them yesterday. My um, tailbone area, looks just swollen. No gross abcesses.

OMFG I just sat down wrong, not paying attention. I sat in the chair and the pad moved and the wooden back of the chair (where it meets the seat) hit me right in the tailbone. I think I actually saw stars. I yelled so loudly, and about ran to my room and burst into tears. :bawl: Can the doctors just remove my whole lower half?

Lilypad

Cowgirl said:
I know...I googled them yesterday. My um, tailbone area, looks just swollen. No gross abcesses.

OMFG I just sat down wrong, not paying attention. I sat in the chair and the pad moved and the wooden back of the chair (where it meets the seat) hit me right in the tailbone. I think I actually saw stars. I yelled so loudly, and about ran to my room and burst into tears. :bawl: Can the doctors just remove my whole lower half?
2 words-sitz bath! :huggy:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Cowgirl said:
Has anyone ever had one? Know anything about them?
My co-worker's son has one. His doctor said he probably had it all his life and when he was in his car accident (November) it "triggered" it. Something about the force on impact. It took a few weeks to heal, but I think he's been good for a few months now.

Lilypad

Cowgirl said:

No harm intended Cowgirl :huggy: -it's gonna get worse before it gets better-the sooner you are seen by someone in the medical profession the better-relief is INSTANT!