MONUMENTAL car problems

briancpest

Ok. I just got home, at 4:33 AM. Was not planning on taking this long to get home.

I had gigantic car problems tonight, and I think they are probably big enough to warrant the need for a new one asap.

I have an old 1990 Honda Civic. I've had some problems with it in the past, but nothing huge. And, since we fixed the one problem I had (timing belt fell off) I haven't had a single hiccup.

Tonight, I went out to meet a group of friends, and on the way home my car was acting suspicious. Suddenly it would give off this loud screeching noise and I'd feel a lot of resistance to the gas, almost felt like I was driving with the emergency brake on (it wasn't). Then, after the screeching starts, my car would stall out. If I turned off the car, and the lights, and waited, it would start just fine. But after starting to move for about a minute, the whole situation would happen again. It did this about 5 times before I decided to pop the hood and check stuff. I checked the oil, it was fine. I checked the battery connection, it was fine (because when the symptoms started, my check battery light was flickering).

After tinkering with a few things under the hood, I tried starting the car again. It started fine, but then suddenly the same symptoms happened again.....
This time only for about 5 seconds before something reasonably large came crashing out from under my car.

I'm talking, large enough that I felt it hit the car under my feet and seat, and I could hear it hit the road underneath me. Because of the time of night, I could not find out what it was. But, the weird part is, since that happened, no more symptoms or stalling.

I'm not one to trust a car if something falls out from under it though, and I'm wondering if I should just stop driving it. The only thing I could think of is someone possibly vandalized my car?

I have no clue what to do now, and I have to get to work in about 6 hours. :jameo::bawl:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
CableChick said:
maybe it was a cat :shrug:

I remember my first job as a line tech. 100 degree day, and 86 F350 with multiple v-belts and a repair order that said "remove cat from fan,radiator area''.:twitch:

Way to break in the newbie!:killingme

briancpest

Well, an hour later, sun was up so I decided to go test out my car and find out what was wedged up between my car and tire.

Good news is, my car's not busted. Ran fine.

Turns out it was a GIGANTIC piece of sheered rubber from a semi tire.

Now it really makes me wonder, what are the odds of something like that getting perfectly wedged between the tire and body of my car, forcing a braking effect and causing my car to stall?

All I'm saying is, after work last night, there were two really suspicious looking teenagers parked next to my car... one of which was between the two vehicles, lifting himself off the ground.

Last edited:
M

Mousebaby

briancpest said:
Well, an hour later, sun was up so I decided to go test out my car and find out what was wedged up between my car and tire.

Good news is, my car's not busted. Ran fine.

Turns out it was a GIGANTIC piece of sheered rubber from a semi tire.

Now it really makes me wonder, what are the odds of something like that getting perfectly wedged between the tire and body of my car, forcing a braking effect and causing my car to stall?

All I'm saying is, after work last night, there were two really suspicious looking teenagers parked next to my car... one of which was between the two vehicles, lifting himself off the ground.

This sounds like a job for MightyMouse! :biggrin:

M

Mousebaby

briancpest said:
Can MightyMouse make time go backwards?

Work still starts in a few hours.....

and I've yet to get any sleep.

Call in dead! Works for me! :shrug:

Vince

briancpest said:
As much as I hope it wasn't, that would be better than an actual part of my car having broke off.
It's a 1990, don't worry about it. I've got an old '91 pickup and I'll keep running it until it falls apart on the road. I have emergency towing for this vehicle so it will go straight to the junk yard when it decides to quit, but then I have two other vehicles to fall back on.