Heat Stroke

BlackSheep

I thought about Bob and BabyBubba last night-saw my first true/real heat stroke (hyperthermia)-truly a life-threatening event.

The patient was 35 yr. old, had been working-laying asphalt all day. When I saw the patient, his face was blood red, skin hot to the touch, no sweat and absolutely delusional! Every 4-6 minutes his eyes would roll back into his head and he would convulse. Then it got worse!

Heat stoke can be fatal and isn’t anything you want to mess with-call 911 immediately!!

Victims of heat stroke must receive immediate treatment to avoid permanent organ damage. First and foremost, cool the victim. Get the victim to a shady area, remove clothing, apply cool or tepid water to the skin (for example you may spray the victim with cool water from a garden hose), fan the victim to promote sweating and evaporation, place ice packs under armpits and groins.

The most important measures to prevent heat strokes are to avoid becoming dehydrated, and to avoid vigorous physical activities in hot and humid weather. If you have to perform physical activities in hot weather, drink plenty of fluids (such as water and Gatorade), but avoid alcohol, coffee, and tea which may lead to dehydration. Take frequent breaks to hydrate yourself. Wear hats, and light colored, and light and loose clothes.

Different people may have different symptoms and signs of heat stroke.
But common symptoms and signs of heart stroke include:
high body temperature
the absence of sweating, with hot red or flushed dry skin
rapid pulse
difficulty breathing
strange behavior
hallucinations
confusion
agitation
disorientation
seizure
coma

Although we have had some hots days, the worse is yet to come-stay hydrated folks! :yay:

SD1492

Thanks for the information. I have myselft suffered a heat stroke in the past but thankfully it was a mild one. But I still had to go the hospital and get an I.V.

Thank goodness for all those that take up medicine!!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've seen heatstroke a few times, and I knew little bubba wasn't suffering from it.

We'd treat in the field, call for dust off, and they snatch and run, put the victim on the Helo, (if i remember right on a stretcher covered with ice) and get as much altitude as they could on the way to the hospital.

Once you found out the guy was OK, and he was back with the unit you laughed, and joked about how they were running around, incoherent.. tell them what they were saying.. But it was a tense few days until they came back. We never suffered a fatality, but I'm guessing we were real close a few times.

Myself, I used to get dehydrated frequently.. and it usually struck a few days after coming out of the heat. While in the heat I drink a lot, like you're supposed too, but upon return to civilization I wouldn't think about it, and I'd forget to drink like I should. I'd survive 110 degree heat going up and down the plateau that is Ft Knox with 100 pounds on my back, then be in the hospital hooked up to IV's for two days a week later in 75 degree heat.

Yeah, summer is dangerous...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Heat exhaustion is the next step beyond simple dehydration. Because of a large loss of body fluid, the circulatory system can collapse, causing a sudden drop in blood pressure, which can lead to unconsciousness. Because heat exhaustion is the next step past dehydration, it gives a lot of warning signs before its onset.

Increasing fatigue, severe cramps, weakness, inability to think properly or strange behavior, drenching sweats, dilated pupils, and nausea are all warning signs of heat exhaustion. A person with more severe heat exhaustion can have cold, pale, clammy skin, be agitated or disoriented, and can complain of profound thirst.

Heat exhaustion is a serious medical condition. The first step is to get the victim in a cooler environment. Out of the sun at the bare minimum. Elevate the feet about twelve inches and have them lie down on a flat surface. Elevating the feet helps keep blood flowing to the brain. Apply cool clothes, wet compresses to the skin of the victim. Fan them down to help aid convection cooling. Do not use rubbing alcohol. Have them sip non-carbonated sports drinks like Gatorade or lightly salted water. Cool water will work fine if nothing else is available. Do not drink caffeine or alcohol as both effect the body’s ability to regulate heat. Be careful not to cool the victim down to the point they get hypothermia (believe it or not, a common mistake in treating heat injuries). Medical attention should be sought out as soon as possible for victims of heat exhaustion.

I THINK what we reacted to in the field was Heat Exhaustion, and by the time we got to the person, got him down, and the medics arrived they were into Heat Stroke. I do remember one in particular that started out disoriented, but still sweating.. by the time we got him to settle down and got him to shade he was bone dry, and HOT, and his skin color changed.. We emptied our canteens on him, loosened his clothes.. waited for the helo.

MMDad

Lem Putt
itsbob said:
We emptied our canteens on him, loosened his clothes..
Guy is unconscious, about to die, and you guys have your way with him.

You Army dudes don't let anything stop you why you get in a mood.