Big Birds

jetmonkey

So I set up some feeders. A thistle mesh, a tube feeder and a 'house' type feeder along with a log feeder for suet. I've seen Gold and House Finches and Cardinals. Also Mourning Doves. But I've got these massive blackish birds with white eyes that come and scare away all the lil' fellers. They even manage to grab the little perches n the tube feeder, but the usual strategy is for one to get on the house and pitch a bunch of seed out onto the ground where the rest of them get it. I have seen the adolescents beg for food from the adults and get it, so that is pretty cool. But are these seasonal birds? Are they going to go away? Should I dicriminate against them so I can get the little colorful birds?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jetmonkey said:
There was 40 of them out there this morning.

Watch out for your eyes.

Attachments

• birds-camp%20eye.jpg
    birds-camp%20eye.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

jetmonkey

They pal around with the squirrels. I plan to add a bath and a squirrel feeder at some point. Thinking maybe I could deploy one of those large square screen feeders to satisfy the big birds and the squirrels?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jetmonkey said:
They pal around with the squirrels. I plan to add a bath and a squirrel feeder at some point. Thinking maybe I could deploy one of those large square screen feeders to satisfy the big birds and the squirrels?

I have found that it doesn't really matter. You can do feeders that the squirrels can't get to but the crows are pretty much going to go where they want. Wait until the raccoons find the feeders...that's the FUN stuff.

jetmonkey

cattitude said:
I have found that it doesn't really matter. You can do feeders that the squirrels can't get to but the crows are pretty much going to go where they want. Wait until the raccoons find the feeders...that's the FUN stuff.
Well I was thinking the screen feeder would be so easy for them to use that they would ignore the others. It's only like two that get on the feeders. The rest mill about on the ground.

jetmonkey said:
So I set up some feeders. A thistle mesh, a tube feeder and a 'house' type feeder along with a log feeder for suet. I've seen Gold and House Finches and Cardinals. Also Mourning Doves. But I've got these massive blackish birds with white eyes that come and scare away all the lil' fellers. They even manage to grab the little perches n the tube feeder, but the usual strategy is for one to get on the house and pitch a bunch of seed out onto the ground where the rest of them get it. I have seen the adolescents beg for food from the adults and get it, so that is pretty cool. But are these seasonal birds? Are they going to go away? Should I dicriminate against them so I can get the little colorful birds?
Oh, I thought you meant this kind.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jazz lady said:
Sounds more like grackles to me.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/BOW/COMGRA/
http://web.birdbarrier.com/BirdBarrier/Site Pages/Grackle_id.htm

They do migrate south for the winter although if the winter is mild, they'll stick around. The only thing I've found to keep them out of the songbird seed is the one that closes the feeder openings based on the weight of the bird. I got it several years ago from Wal-Mart or Target, although I've seen them at other local stores.

I was thinking grackles but he said big and grackles aren't really big at all.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
I was thinking grackles but he said big and grackles aren't really big at all.

Size is relative. Compared to the songbirds, grackles are big. I don't think crows have white eyes, either. :shrug:

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
jazz lady said:
Size is relative. Compared to the songbirds, grackles are big. I don't think crows have white eyes, either. :shrug:
10-4 jazz lady-besides crows don't land in flocks-my bets are on grackles!

jetmonkey

Yeah that's them. I think I just need to make it easier for them to get food from NOT the songbird feeders.

Lilypad

jetmonkey said:
Yeah that's them. I think I just need to make it easier for them to get food from NOT the songbird feeders.
I have 3 tube feeders, 1 thistle mesh feeder, and a platform-BUT I still put feed on the ground-that seems to help w/the squirrels, doves, crows and a few other larger birds-also helps to feed the voles that run through the mole tunnels directly under the feeders!

jetmonkey

Lilypad said:
I have 3 tube feeders, 1 thistle mesh feeder, and a platform-BUT I still put feed on the ground-that seems to help w/the squirrels, doves, crows and a few other larger birds-also helps to feed the voles that run through the mole tunnels directly under the feeders!
Do you put it in a diff area than the feeders?

Lilypad

jetmonkey said:
Do you put it in a diff area than the feeders?
I scatter black oil sunflower seeds everywhere-I make it challenging for the squirrels and larger birds. Plus it gives the smaller birds a chance to feed.