Boarding

tdjbubbles

Does anyone know of a good kennel around, I have been looking into the Farmstead Kennel but I haven't heard much about them, they are pretty new....anyone have any suggestions??

dt5255

Farmstead Kennels is a new kennel. But from the looks of it on their web site it looks pretty nice. They haven't posted any new pictures since the end of May, But the last time I spoke with them they seemed pretty nice.

tdjbubbles

Do you know of any one that has actually been there? I am not leaving until September but I know places usually fill up quickly. Last year I took my dog to three notch vet for boarding and I wasn't too pleased.....the kennel was just so dungeon like if you ask me and I sent a blanket with my dog and when we got it back it reeked of urine, and my dog is 100% housebroken so then that makes me wonder if he was taken out the three times a day they assured us. Maybe I'm just looking way too much into this but my dog is like my child and I just want to feel comfortable he's in good hands when I'm gone. I appreciate any input/suggestions that anyone has to offer.

luvscats

I've heard good things about Interlude Kennels but I haven't actually boarded my dog there. My dog has allergies so when I have to board her I board her at her vet, which is Dunkirk AH. Plus, she is a small dog, about 14lbs, so she doesn't need as much room as a bigger dog would. She has always come back healthy and clean when I use her vet.

J

jp2854

I would find a petsitter that comes to your home and cares for your dog. Pet sitters will take your dog out 3x a day for nice walks play with him/her and if there is a mess made they will clean it up or I should say most will. You can go to petsit.com and go under locate a pet sitter but just to warn you most around here charge 16 dollars per visit but atleast you will be at peace of mind knowing your dog is actually getting attention and wont end up with kennel cough or any of that fun crap they can get from being in a kennel.

Macicka

I agree with the pet sitter idea, but make sure they are qualified. Some people go into pet sitting thinking they can do it just because they like animals and have owned their own animals. I would say make sure they have some other experience in animal care such as in a rescue/shelter situation (they can work with ANY dog) or better yet, as an assistant/technician at a veterinarian's office. Plenty of vet techs do this on the side for a little extra money and generally they do a good job and can handle anything that might pop up while your away. I would say call your vet and see if any of their techs do this.

Also, just a side note b/c of the last post on here, if you do decide to board at a kennel, PLEASE get the bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine. It's quick, it's relatively cheap (usually no vet visit, just a technician), it's easy (quick injection or a snort up the nose) and it will save you loads of trouble if one of the other dogs has the cough.

tdjbubbles

Thanks for the advice. I will look around and see if there are any good pet sitters in the area. And don't worry I just got him the bordetella shot on Friday.

luvscats

jp2854 said:
I would find a petsitter that comes to your home and cares for your dog. Pet sitters will take your dog out 3x a day for nice walks play with him/her and if there is a mess made they will clean it up or I should say most will. You can go to petsit.com and go under locate a pet sitter but just to warn you most around here charge 16 dollars per visit but atleast you will be at peace of mind knowing your dog is actually getting attention and wont end up with kennel cough or any of that fun crap they can get from being in a kennel.

Great idea to get a petsitter. Alot less stressful for your pet. I'm going to do that when I go on vacation next time. Thx!

tdjbubbles

I drove by Interlude Kennels Pet Paradise yesterday and I guess it wasn't what I imagined it as....has anyone been in the inside? The outside was not as I expected.

W

WhoCares

The interlude in St. Leonard is much nicer. That is where we take our dog.

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
We are doing a lot of work at the former Pet Paradise. It is about 10 years behind Interlude when it comes to the facility. . It has only been under new management since Feb! It will def be up and coming in the near future.