Need help finding day care

Poohhunny1605

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good in home day care for infants 6 weeks or 8 weeks + in or around Waldorf/Brandywine/Bryantown/hughesville area? I am due in September and trying to find a good in home day care for the little one for his/her arrival so I can go back to work ASAP. TIA!

Qurious

Im On 1.
I wouldn't choose a homedaycare for a newborn/infant. Get on the waiting list for certified centers....

Qurious said:
I wouldn't choose a homedaycare for a newborn/infant. Get on the waiting list for certified centers....
Why?
I would choose a licensed home child care over a "certified center" any day.

Poohhunny1605

Chasey_Lane said:
Same here. :high5:

I would much rather have a in home provider over a center. Centers are costly(which I can't afford $220/week, which is my lowest quote) and I feel that babies get better care when they are in home. More one on one contact. Thank you though Q!

sockgirl77

I have had my baby girl at both a home daycare and a daycare center. She was in the home daycare until she was 7 months old. She's in a center. For her, I liked the home daycare better. As far as the older ones, I prefer a more educational center. I'd get a home daycare now, wait until your baby is closer to 2, then get on a waiting list for a center or montessori school. But, that is just my advice when never counts for shiat in here. :yay:

Qurious

Im On 1.
Poohhunny1605 said:
I would much rather have a in home provider over a center. Centers are costly(which I can't afford $220/week, which is my lowest quote) and I feel that babies get better care when they are in home. More one on one contact. Thank you though Q!

no problem. But are you choosing affordability over how comfortable your child will be?

You dont know how clean that person is keeping their house or what precautions that have for cleanliness in the home cuz its their home, they can do what they want.

Licensed child care centers have more regulations than home day cares...thats the only reason why I suggested a center...for the safety of your child.

lovinmaryland

huntr1 said:
Why?
I would choose a licensed home child care over a "certified center" any day.

mee too :howdy:

i have all of mine in home child care and i love her, she is great.

I used to have my kids at a "center" day care and it seemed to be a rotation of people in and out. I much prefer to have one person be in charge of the care of my child rather than have to ask several people how/what my child did for the day.

But the most important thing should be that you trust and like the person who will be taking care of your baby. Good Luck

nightowl

Qurious said:

I use to agree with that but after having my daughter and looking into centers I ended up going with a mother/daughter home daycare.

I found most of the centers that were affordable ($150 a week) to be dirty and not staffed well. The ones that were clean had a waiting list a mile long and averaged ($200 a week). The home daycare I ended up with cost $125 a week and I just loved the mother and daughter. My daughter was with them till she was 2 and the mom moved to another state. (my daughter is 5 now btw so I'm sure my prices are off)

Below is the website I used. They have a number you can call and give them your address and they will give you names and numbers of licensed daycare providers in your area.

http://www.smccrc.org/

I found that just calling and then going and interviewing the providers (sometimes several times) is the key. For me I have always gotten a good or bad vibe from people and so far I haven't been wrong.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

lovinmaryland

nightowl said:

I found that just calling and then going and interviewing the providers (sometimes several times) is the key. For me I have always gotten a good or bad vibe from people and so far I haven't been wrong.

Good Luck.

I used that site also and found my provider.
Be prepared to go on several interviews. I met with 6 in home providers before finding my provider.

I also agree with sockgirl about the educational apsect for a slightly older child (2 years and up) Right now i have an infant and then 3 much older children so the in home day care works best for me.

Poohhunny1605

nightowl said:
I use to agree with that but after having my daughter and looking into centers I ended up going with a mother/daughter home daycare.

I found most of the centers that were affordable ($150 a week) to be dirty and not staffed well. The ones that were clean had a waiting list a mile long and averaged ($200 a week). The home daycare I ended up with cost $125 a week and I just loved the mother and daughter. My daughter was with them till she was 2 and the mom moved to another state. (my daughter is 5 now btw so I'm sure my prices are off)

Below is the website I used. They have a number you can call and give them your address and they will give you names and numbers of licensed daycare providers in your area.

Good Luck.

Yeah, I called SMCCRC and they told me to do "drop by visits" to see if the day care is as clean as it is when you "interview". So, I thought maybe I would do that. I have found a few in Pinefield that I am considering, as it is on my way to work. Thank you all for your suggestions. Anyone have any other suggestions let me know, I am a new mommy, I've watched other peoples kids(Nanny for 5 years), so I know what to look for, but I know its different with your own. I appreciate it anything you want to share :)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Qurious said:
You dont know how clean that person is keeping their house or what precautions that have for cleanliness in the home cuz its their home, they can do what they want.

Licensed child care centers have more regulations than home day cares...thats the only reason why I suggested a center...for the safety of your child.
Do you think a parent just drops their child off at the driveway and leaves? :confused: Daycare centers are filthy because there are so many children with runny noses, coughs, colds and whatever else. Parents of 60 plus kids are walking in and out all day, not to mention staff. I'm happy and comfortable that my daughter has received better care (and has not been sick in YEARS) and she's in a home daycare. :yay:

sockgirl77

Poohhunny1605 said:
Hate to tell you, but you'll be paying $220 per week for an infant at a home daycare as well. That's the going rate.

Poohhunny1605

sockgirl77 said:
Hate to tell you, but you'll be paying $220 per week for an infant at a home daycare as well. That's the going rate.

I have called two people that were asking that much($220/week), other in home providers were as low as $125/week and the majority I have found are around $165/week and all bottles, formula, diapers, wipes, blah blah blah have to be provided(which is expected). So, I figured on spending $170/week on day care and if its lower than that, then GREAT!

Qurious said:
no problem. But are you choosing affordability over how comfortable your child will be?

*BUZZ* Wrong answer *BUZZ*

My wife is a licensed, certified, and nationally accredited home child care provider. She is VERY active in the child care field, as in active in the child care association, attends the state convention, goes to Annapolis to campaign. Thru her I have learned quite a bit about the regulations. Home providers are more scrutinized than the centers. Point in case: All persons >18 in the house have to be fingerprinted and background checked. Centers did not have to do that until recently, and they grandfathered the existing employees.