RC airfields?

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Anyone know of good locations in southern Calvert Co or SM county that me and the boy who are both beginners can fly his plane.

Dukesdad

High EGT said:
Anyone know of good locations in southern Calvert Co or SM county that me and the boy who are both beginners can fly his plane.
I'm pretty sure you have to belong to "the club" but drop by Greenwell state park on Steerhorn neck road and those guys can help you out. There are guys there most days that can give you info and help you learn to fly.

sparkyaclown

Dukesdad said:
I'm pretty sure you have to belong to "the club" but drop by Greenwell state park on Steerhorn neck road and those guys can help you out. There are guys there most days that can give you info and help you learn to fly.
:yeahthat: Pax Aeromodelers but to join I believe you'll also need to be an AMA member.

I usually fly at the public schools, alot of them have fields big enough to fly in. Are you flying gas or electric? I taught myself on an electric, they are capable of flying alot slower than the gas which gives you a larger window to recover from mistakes.

Last edited:

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
sparkyaclown said:
:yeahthat: Pax Aeromodelers but to join I believe you'll also need to be an AMA member.

I usually fly at the public schools, alot of them have fields big enough to fly in. Are you flying gas or electric? I taught myself on an electric, they are capable of flying alot slower than the gas which gives you a larger window to recover from mistakes.

An Electric Firebird. We’ve gone to Great Mills Elementary but nearby trees (as with most schools) makes flying a bit nervous especially if winds are greater then 5 knots.

sparkyaclown

High EGT said:
An Electric Firebird. We’ve gone to Great Mills Elementary but nearby trees (as with most schools) makes flying a bit nervous especially if winds are greater then 5 knots.

I had one of those, they are difficult to learn on as they don't turn very well and fly a little on the fast side for the manuverability they possess. Early morning or just before sunset is the best time to fly it. I would also recommend modifying the elevons on the back by extending them out to give more surface area. You don't need much, maybe 1/4" - 1/2" more, something stiff like a playing card cut down and taped on each will suffice. Be careful though as adding too much will change the center of gravity too much and you may need to offset it some by adding a similar amount of weight to the nose. This will help it turn better. I also found flying below the tree line helped shelter it from the wind.

If you decide you like flying, I would invest in a decent 4ch controller and go with a plane like the Mountain Models Duskstick. It requires some building but can be finished in a day and is very forgiving. This was the plane that I truly learned to fly with as you could fly it so slow that I believe you could easily outpace it by walking .(it was also the first plane I ever built, almost fell together) It also turns on a dime, so flying it in a small space is a breeze. I can fly mine within the front parking lot of Oakville Elementary, which is more than enough room for it. I think I crashed it a total of 2 times and it came out of each with only the engine mount broken each time which is by design as it helps save the prop on the plane. The mount can be replaced in less than a minute and your off again. Pick up a li-poly battery or two and a charger and you can easily fly around for a good 90 minutes between battery changes/recharges. It's not a beautiful plane but it's an awesome trainer. Good Luck!! :yay: