Goin on Vacation!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
That is beautiful. I don't think I'd ever want to leave, lol. I'd love to hear about it when you get back. I'm always looking for some place to go on vacation with my family. Have a safe trip and a great time!

Homer J

Power Chord
CMC122 said:
How far is that drive?

I think it is about 9 hours. Google maps says right around 500 miles.

It should be a good time. Dollywood Amusement park is there as well as a big water park, Dixie Stampede,(Kinda like Medieval Times only cowboys), lots of shopping, the Smoky Mountains, ect.

Last edited:

wineo

loving life
You are going to love it there. Just got back from Ashville, Hendersonville area. Make sure you go to Maggie Valley, do some gem mining. We are thinking about moving to that area and getting out of LP City.

Have fun.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Homer J said:

It should be a good time. Dollywood Amusement park is there as well as a big water park, Dixie Stampede,(Kinda like Medieval Times only cowboys), lots of shopping, the Smoky Mountains, ect.
:confused: was just down there. Didn't know all that stuuf was in the area.
Take you motorcycle, there are lots of great roads to ride in the area.

Seamaid

I went to Dollywood last summer and had the best time. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was great. The cleanest park I have ever been to and outstanding customer service. The drive there was beautiful. We went to Gatlinberg too and went to Cooters garage and saw the Rebel Yell (spelling?).
Have a great time!

Homer J said:

Elle

Happy Camper!
You'll have to post a review when you return. We want to visit that area next year (camping) but it may have to wait and we'll end up with some closer to home weekends since we are planning to go to Disney in the spring.

Homer J

Power Chord
Trip Report

Well, we're back.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable trip. My kids (Boy 15, Girl 12) had so much fun, they didn't want to come back. Let me give you a little run down of how the week went.

7/28-8/4

Saturday: Drove out to Sevierville in about 9 hours. Got off the interstate and headed toward Gatlinburg. Covered the 30 mile between I-40 and the south end of Gatlinburg in 2 1/2 hours. Yes the traffice was that bad. Checked in at the rental office and then drove back through Gatlinburg and most of the way through Pigeon Forge to get to the cabin. The cabin was nice but not nearly as nice as it looked on the website. Needed to be cleaned a little better too. Very dusty.

Sunday: Drove around Pigeon Forge and got the lay of the land a little. Went to a visitors center to pick up some brochures and coupon books. Went to this place next door to the visitors center Wonderworks. Pretty cool place. Later in the day we found this place Flyaway. My son gave it a try and thought it was the coolest thing ever. He is quite the daredevil so after we had some dinner, he decided he wanted to bungee jump here The Track. He made the leap without hesitation. Then both of the kids did the SkyFlyer together.

Monday: Drove back down to Gatlinburg early and parked in an all day parking garage. Started walking to see what there is to see. Just a brief list of the things we did there: Sky Lift, Aquarium, Ripley's Museum, Hollywood Wax Museum, Guinness World Record Museum. The aquarium was by far, the best attraction there.

Tuesday: Went here Splash Country. Got sunburned of course. Went here for dinner Dixie Stampede. Awesome show and a great meal.

Wednesday: Son wasn't feeling good so he stayed back at the cabin while we took daughter to indoor sky dive. (See above). She loved it as much as him so we made plans to take them both to do it again. Went back to the cabin and just chilled out most of the day. Went out and got some good BBQ for dinner here Bennett's.

Thursday: Got up early and drove through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Bryson City, NC and rode this GSMR. We took the Nantahala Gorge excursion. Pretty cool ride. Great scenery. The drive through the park was incredible too.

Friday: Back to the indoor sky dive first thing in the morning for both kids to fly again. They couldn't get enough of it. Then took the wife and daughter back to the cabin and son an I went to Dollywood. No, they didn't want to go. Anyway, son and I spent a few hours riding coasters and sweating in the heat. Had a good time. Got back to the cabin about 4:30pm and went out to get a bite to eat. Kids wanted to ride go-karts so we went here Go-Karts. Time to go back to the cabin and pack.

Saturday: Got up and went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Got in the car and as we were pulling out of the parking lot, son realized he left a bag with his I-Pod, Game Boy DS, Wallet, and other stuff at the cabin. So, we went back and got it. Good thing he figured it out so soon. Then we settled in for the long drive back to Maryland. Stopped for lunch at about 12:30. Daughter asked me when we could come back. Had to tell here I don't know. Maybe next time we will go somewhere new. The rest of the way home, she sat in the back seat and cried quietly. I guess that means she had a good time.

Summary: As I said, all in all it was a very enjoyable trip. The crowds and traffic got to be to much at times but once we learned our way around town, we could avoid most of the traffic. The wife says she would not have to go back again but I know the kids would and I could see doing it again. If you go, make sure you take lots of money. I don't know if I would recommend Gatlinburg Cabins Online. There are a bunch of other places that rent cabins and lots of nice hotels and motels too. Anyway, thats my two cents for what it's worth.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
My SO is big into hunting, I would like to take him on a hunting trip. Did you see anything like that down there??

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Well it sounds like the kids had a great time. I showed the website for the cabins and he thought that would be nice place for family (us plus sis n law family, sis n law and bf etc.) vacation. I know of course we would cookout alot at the cabin to save money. Is there anything to do at the cabin site? (hike, swim, etc.. i thought i noticed some places had a community pool).

Homer J

Power Chord
sanchezf said:
My SO is big into hunting, I would like to take him on a hunting trip. Did you see anything like that down there??

Didn't really see anything like that. More family oriented stuff.

Homer J

Power Chord
getbent said:
Well it sounds like the kids had a great time. I showed the website for the cabins and he thought that would be nice place for family (us plus sis n law family, sis n law and bf etc.) vacation. I know of course we would cookout alot at the cabin to save money. Is there anything to do at the cabin site? (hike, swim, etc.. i thought i noticed some places had a community pool).

Yeah, the kids had a ball. There is a community pool at the cabin site. Not really walking distance but still close by. As far as hiking goes, I think you could get all of that you could handle in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is only a few miles from Pigeon Forge and there are miles and miles of trails to explore. Places to park at each trail head too.