Making a birthday cake...

Cowgirl

Little girl is turning 2 this Saturday and I'm making a cake for her. She has a Snow White doll that she loves loves loves. She carries this thing everywhere. I'd like to make her a cake with Snow White on it...but I'm looking for ideas. I came across this one. Has anyone made a cake like this? How did you do it? Is it relatively easy?

I'm not sure how I'd make the bodice of the dress, or the skirt. Should I just buy a Snow White barbie and leave the bodice as fabric?

Attachments

• disney-snow-white-01.jpg
    disney-snow-white-01.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,204

Cowgirl

I was also thinking of just piping this picture onto a sheet cake.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    232.5 KB · Views: 136

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
They sell cake kits, I'm sure they make Barbie kits. I'd buy one of those and adjust it accordingly.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Doll cakes

STEP 1
Prepare batter for any flavor two-layer cake; feel free to use a mix. Bake in 2 (8-inch-round) cake pans according to package directions.

Pond's Tip: Even though I make my cakes from scratch, using a box cake mix is fine.

STEP 2
Cool the cakes on wire racks according to package directions. Then slice each cake crosswise into three layers (that's a total of six layers).

STEP 3
Put frosting between the layers so the finished cake is as tall as Barbie measures. You can do this in a deep cake pan so the layers line up well.

Pond's Tip: Measure the Barbie you're going to be using from her hips to her toes (yep, her tippy toes). That's how high your finished cake will need to be. Use a frosting mix and prepare it according to package directions -- any flavor will do. The frosting should be thick enough to stabilize the stacked layers.

STEP 4
Wrap the outside of the cake with a layer of wax paper, so that the layers are perfectly straight. Freeze the cake overnight or until it's solid.

Pond's Tip: When frozen, the cake can be manipulated without it breaking.

STEP 5
Use a pair of tongs to cut a hole in the stacked layers from top to bottom. The hole should have the same diameter as the Barbie doll.

Pond's Tip: If the hole is too small, and you have to force Barbie into it, the cake will crack when it defrosts. So, make sure the hole is big enough.

STEP 6
Remove cake from pan if you used a pan for stacking the cake layers. Trim the top of the cake to create a skirt shape.

STEP 7
Wrap the doll in plastic. Insert Barbie so that the cake comes just up to her hips.

Pond's Tip: If you wrap the doll in plastic wrap, it will keep the doll from touching any part of the cake. And Barbie will be a lot cleaner when you take her out of the cake.

Another Pond Tip: "Keep a blouse on your Barbie, so you only have to decorate the cake part as the skirt."

STEP 8
Remove the wax paper from the cake. Use a decorating spatula to spread frosting over the cake and create Barbie's skirt. Use a pastry bag with decorative tip of choice to decorate further.

Pond's Tip: Be creative. Use more than one color of frosting. Embellish it with colored sprinkles and candies. Use your imagination.

Agee

Cowgirl said:
Little girl is turning 2 this Saturday and I'm making a cake for her. She has a Snow White doll that she loves loves loves. She carries this thing everywhere. I'd like to make her a cake with Snow White on it...but I'm looking for ideas. I came across this one. Has anyone made a cake like this? How did you do it? Is it relatively easy?

I'm not sure how I'd make the bodice of the dress, or the skirt. Should I just buy a Snow White barbie and leave the bodice as fabric?

That looks like a bit of work, but nice!
Use a bundt pan, buy a barbie, cut her in half at the waste, stick the top part of her body in the hole of the bundt. Decorate the cake and the barbie doll. Just skip the bottom part shown in the picture... Good Luck!

Airgasm said:
Use a bundt pan, buy a barbie, cut her in half at the waste, stick the top part of her body in the hole of the bundt. Decorate the cake and the barbie doll. Just skip the bottom part shown in the picture... Good Luck!
OMFG...:killingme Yes! Yes, please do.... but then you MUST promise to post pics of the result...:killingme

I'm saving this pic because I'm hoping to make this cake for my first "grandchild to be" baby shower...:clap:

Attachments

• babycake.jpg
    babycake.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 127

Cowgirl

Airgasm said:
That looks like a bit of work, but nice!

Hey! Great idea!!! I won't cut the barbie though..I'll just stick her legs through the hole. The shape will be perfect for her skirt. Thanks!! :flowers:

Cowgirl said:
Hey! Great idea!!! I won't cut the barbie though..I'll just stick her legs through the hole. The shape will be perfect for her skirt. Thanks!! :flowers:
:jet: I can't wait to see the pics...:roflmao:

camily

Peace
Cowgirl said:

At two, she'll think you awsome if you make a sheet cake and buy colored icing (or white and add food coloring) and draw the pic your self. Let her help with the icing and tell her it looks just like Snow White. She'll be proud and you'll be encouraging her creativity. Trust me on this. A tradition in our house is I buy white cake and icing and the kids get to pick WHATEVER color they want to add and then I buy icing and let them go at it. It is SOOOO much fun for them and they look forward to it all year. Mine are 12 10 and 3. It is WAY cheaper and much more fun. You can always buy a little snow white doll to add to it if you want, but at two, she won't care. This year my son made a red cake with Gray Icing and wrote "You can't see me"-John Cena on it. It was a huge hit with the group of 8-10 year olds. Plus, as an added bonus, they dig the colored poop they get just as much! :lmao:

Cowgirl

camily said:
At two, she'll think you awsome if you make a sheet cake and buy colored icing (or white and add food coloring) and draw the pic your self. Let her help with the icing and tell her it looks just like Snow White. She'll be proud and you'll be encouraging her creativity. Trust me on this. A tradition in our house is I buy white cake and icing and the kids get to pick WHATEVER color they want to add and then I buy icing and let them go at it. It is SOOOO much fun for them and they look forward to it all year. Mine are 12 10 and 3. It is WAY cheaper and much more fun. You can always buy a little snow white doll to add to it if you want, but at two, she won't care. This year my son made a red cake with Gray Icing and wrote "You can't see me"-John Cena on it. It was a huge hit with the group of 8-10 year olds. Plus, as an added bonus, they dig the colored poop they get just as much! :lmao:

I can't let her help b/c she'll be with her mother until right before the party. It is her weekend with them, but she's letting us take them to the party. :yay:

I was just thinking....if I do the "doll" cake, where do I put the candles? I don't want the doll to catch fire. Could you imagine that?! :jet:

Maybe a sheet cake would be better...... decisions, decisions. :ohwell:

Snow White cake

Cowgirl said:
I've used the 8 cup pyrex cup as a skirt a few times, once for a Barbie cake and I think once as a hula skirt for a Barbie. It worked great and was really easy to decorate. You're right, don't cut the legs off just stick them in the cake. I think I remember making :flowers: an extra layer to put as a base to make it higher. Good luck!!

Agee

Cowgirl said:
I can't let her help b/c she'll be with her mother until right before the party. It is her weekend with them, but she's letting us take them to the party. :yay:

I was just thinking....if I do the "doll" cake, where do I put the candles? I don't want the doll to catch fire. Could you imagine that?! :jet:

Maybe a sheet cake would be better...... decisions, decisions. :ohwell:

I'ts only two, use the candles as arms :yay: YW :bubble: