AMTRAK Trains

designerxboi

For people who have traveled using the train, what are your opinions?

Cleanliness, comfort, staff, etc.

How does this compare to riding the Greyhound bus?

Old Timer

It doesn't compare at all to the Greyhound bus. The train is the only way I'll go to New York City now. It drops you off right in the heart of Manhattan. There's also a quiet car at the end of each train where cell phones and loud conversations are banned - it makes for an incredibly relaxing ride.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I LOVE LOVE LOVE trains!

Many moons ago, I spent three months on a train traveling the country, and it was an absolutely wonderful experience. The trip, I kid you not, was incredibly cheap - I think in the neighborhood of $248 (round trip, and it allowed me to make a stop anywhere I wanted on their line, as long as the total trip was completed in 90 days or less).

I never got a sleeping car, preferring to save money by staying in the coach section. I did get off the train many times in my journey, and coordinated with a Hostel group to see where I could get "hotel" rooms to stay at along the way. Those rooms were about $10 per night.

The trains were very clean, comfortable, and the staff was very friendly.

All told, I had an awesome adventure, and would totally do it again if I could.

PJumper

Old Timer said:
It doesn't compare at all to the Greyhound bus. The train is the only way I'll go to New York City now. It drops you off right in the heart of Manhattan. There's also a quiet car at the end of each train where cell phones and loud conversations are banned - it makes for an incredibly relaxing ride.

We're planning to go to NY next weekend. Which station do you board at and how much round trip to NY?

Old Timer

We catch the train at Union Station in DC and take it to Penn Station in New York. When you come out of Penn Station you are right at Madison Square Garden and very close to Macy's. I try to go after rush hour for the cheaper tickets (usually the Vermonter route is fairly inexpensive). I can't remember what we paid last time, I want to say $144 each round trip. The Amtrak website is really easy to navigate - that's how I buy my tickets.

MMDad

Lem Putt
PJumper said:
We're planning to go to NY next weekend. Which station do you board at and how much round trip to NY?

The BWI station is extremely convenient. It was about $150/person round trip.

MMDad

Lem Putt
The last time I rode Greyhound was 1985 and it was terrible then. I can't imagine how nasty it would be now. I wouldn't even consider it as an option.

designerxboi

Amtrak!

Thanks for all of the replies and info. I will definately be on an AMTRAK train then.

I knew the greyhound was bad, I just wanted to make sure that the slight increase of price to get AMTRAK tickets would be worth it.

PJumper

Old Timer said:
We catch the train at Union Station in DC and take it to Penn Station in New York. When you come out of Penn Station you are right at Madison Square Garden and very close to Macy's. I try to go after rush hour for the cheaper tickets (usually the Vermonter route is fairly inexpensive). I can't remember what we paid last time, I want to say $144 each round trip. The Amtrak website is really easy to navigate - that's how I buy my tickets.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll take the BWI station since I'm having a hard time navigating DC.

Old Timer

Luckily I can time my trips to catch my commuter bus to the Metro that goes to Union Station and avoid driving to Union Station!