Why are people so rude???

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok, I am just wondering why people seem to be getting ruder and ruder everywhere I go. Its the help in stores, as well as people in general. I was in Walmart last night and this woman was blocking the entire aisle. She just looked at me like she was shocked that I expected her to move. Then a few minutes later I was looking at one of the endcaps of an isle and she almost knocked me over. I finally said something to her, which she didn't like but it was uncalled for.

The checkout person as I was leaving didn't even great me, threw all my stuff in a bag and snacked my check out of my hand. I think if you don't like your job, quit but its not my fault you are having a bad day or you hate your job.

I am noticing this kind of behavior everywhere I go. Any ideas where its coming from?

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
I think that...
maybe people are stressin a lot or busy rushin...that sometimes you forget to do the little things that can make another person smile or frown...

Sometimes we all go into our own worlds and forget how much of an impact we have on each other.

K

Katie

You know you are so right about that. I admit that I go into my own little lala land and just forget about other poeple sometimes. And other times like at Walmart if I see a big group of people just standing in the center of the aslie I go down another one just to avoid dealing with it. Then I come back later on.

Driving on the roads is just as bad. I was on my way home from Annapolis yesterday and this guy kept passing everyone even if they were going over the speed limit he was in such a hurry. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and told myself maybe he has an emergency well i saw him pull into the liqour store...he had an emergency all right a "OUTTA beer need to get it now".

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by Katie
Driving on the roads is just as bad. I was on my way home from Annapolis yesterday and this guy kept passing everyone even if they were going over the speed limit he was in such a hurry. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and told myself maybe he has an emergency well i saw him pull into the liqour store...he had an emergency all right a "OUTTA beer need to get it now".

Just to give off the opposite perspective...
One day I was driving to take my father to the hospital... it was an emergency...and I was panicking and trying to hurry... I was driving/speeding up route 4... I couldn't get passed both the lanes as their was someone driving slow(er) on each lane. I flashed my lights to signal to the guy in front of me that I needed to go thru... he wouldn't let me pass for the world. I thought to myself...what an a$$hole... he has no clue what he is doing...

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I admit there are times when I don't pay attention to other people either, but some people act like they are better than anyone else and don't care. I see it all the time. Mostly people walking in the streets, or while they are driving. Road rage has gotten really bad. I know b/c I have it. People make me so mad I sometimes want to get out of my car and beat the crap out of them. I don't but there are times when if I could I would. This construction isn't helping either. When you see someone merging into the left lane, and the right is empty, be nice and move over and let them in. Also, when turing, don't take 10 minutes to get over or turn. You are blocking everyone. Ok I am done venting now. Sorry.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Most of the time I'm inclined to believe that what we often call rudeness is just raw, naked stupidity. People have to make an effort to be malicious, but to be stupid, you don't have to do ANYTHING. I mean, it's hard to believe anyone wouldn't know that you want them to move their cart from blocking the aisle, but I'm amazed at how stupid people can be if they want to.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
:clap: :lmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: OMG You are so right. I do wonder how so many people can either be so dumb or rude. So many people are lacking common sense its a wonder they even get out of the house. Its just hard make the determination of which one they are. Dumb or rude? Sometimes both!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by AnonymousPenguin
he has no clue what he is doing...
Just to be fair--he probably had no clue what you were doing either.

If the situation is really bad, you don't want to have to stop for the police when/if they pull you over, or get into an accident.

Turn your flashers on. Call 911 from your car and let them know you are on a fast track to the hospital. They will assess your situation and also notify the police. We once met an awaiting ambulance in the parking lot of the next fire station we were going to pass.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by Sharon
Just to be fair--he probably had no clue what you were doing either.

Well, I'm sure he didn't know what I was doing. However, I flashed my lights to let him know...what I wanted to do. I've never flashed my lights to just pass by for no reason...which is what he assumed. In any case, a little consideration would have helped.

Honestly, if I got pulled over...it wouldn't have mattered. I would have explained the situation. I needed to get there as fast as I could have. As far as accidents go... I'm not a reckless driver... I'm careful.

I seriously doubt that turning my flashers on would have made a difference since he chose to disregard the flashing of my headlights.

IMO, 911 would just have complicated the situation.

Anyway, it'll just be nice if people are more considerate and courteous... :rolleyes:
It's kind of like opening the door for someone that is carrying something. You don't have to do it... but is it really going to hurt you to do it??

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by AnonymousPenguin

It's kind of like opening the door for someone that is carrying something. You don't have to do it... but is it really going to hurt you to do it??

I know right! I mean its not like, it will kill you to help someone else out. If someone, at any time, is curteious to you, you should show that to someone else, at any time, cause you dont know, if that person is having a rough day/time and you may be that the ticket to some how make that persons day better

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree with Penguin - even if all she was doing was going to the grocery store, when someone's obviously in a huge hurry why not just let them by? Who cares? You see these drivers with this "me first" attitude - they come screaming by you, cut you off, all in order to be one car ahead. Makes no sense...

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by watercolor23
If someone, at any time, is curteious to you, you should show that to someone else, at any time, cause you dont know, if that person is having a rough day/time and you may be that the ticket to some how make that persons day better

Exactly!! :yay:
I can't say how many times I've had a horrible day...and some stranger said or did something... that completely changed my day/outlook. It made be feel good just to know that there are sweet people like that out there!! Sometimes, little things go a long way...

watercolor

yeah yeah
I know exactly what you mean. I am like that at work sometimes...and someone can just say hi..showing that they acknowledge me, and not that I am just some 'receptionist' sitting there to serve them.

Like there is this one customer mrs lucas...who is like, just walking in everytime, saying ' is dave here, thank you' and does not give me a chance to answer, and when she calls...she will leave messages with others, but never with me.

I mean it just takes a minute to make an effort, to actually look down in yourself...to help someone else, instead of yourself

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by joeyinlexpark

I have had people do that to me before where they flip there highbeams on me to move, I wont do it, the other person doesnt know that you are in a hurry, you should use your 4 way flashers, that signals a emergency usually. I would move out of your way if you had the flashers on.

Just my two cents

If it's a real emergency, someone needing medical attention, call 911 and wait for them to get to you. Rushing along the highway just puts you and others at risk, it does nothing for the one needing assistance. Once aide arrives they can evaluate and stabilize the patient before transporting.

Flipping headlights tells me you’re just in a hurry and as long as I am making the speed limit I won’t immediately clear the way until I have a safe place to do it. Your “hazard” flashers don’t indicate that there is a problem either. I have seen many people leave them on after being on the shoulder of the road.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Differece between European and American Drivers

Big Difference

Flashing headlights on the Autobahn signals the slow driver in the fast to keep right. I have traveled to Europe twice and I never saw a bad accident, even doing 100mph on the autobahn. Drivers automatically keep to the right slow lane unless passing another car. I wish American drivers were as curteous.

I myself do stay in the slow lane unless passing. Although, I do stay in the fast lane if there is traffic and the right driver is going really slow, I don't want to be stuck behind them either! What pisses me off is when I also am stuck behind a slow driver in the fast lane and I have some dumba$$ crawling up my tail pipe to get past me. :burning:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ken King

If it's a real emergency, someone needing medical attention, call 911 and wait for them to get to you. Rushing along the highway just puts you and others at risk, it does nothing for the one needing assistance. Once aide arrives they can evaluate and stabilize the patient before transporting.

Thank you!

bknarw

Attire Monitor

Flipping headlights tells me you’re just in a hurry and as long as I am making the speed limit I won’t immediately clear the way until I have a safe place to do it. Your “hazard” flashers don’t indicate that there is a problem either. I have seen many people leave them on after being on the shoulder of the road.

With all due respect, Ken, that's all wrong. The law clearly states that all traffic in the #1 lane is to yield to cars that are traveling faster, regardless of how fast they're going.
I've become quite accustomed to it, and NEVER flash my beams at anyone, but when I drive up there from Richmond every week, I make great time until I hit So. MD! The right lane is for slower traffic, the left lane is for faster traffic, and that's it!
And, just as an added note, I take great delight in giving over the fast lane to the speed demons who rush up behind me. They're usually the ones I see a little further down the road next to the car with the flashing blue lights; then I give them a little honk and a wave!
:D

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I'm confused.
Which part of route 4? I drive up and down route 4 all the time, and there are, on most of it, two lanes in each direction. I was talking about the left lane and right lane.
Still, it's better to let the guy go past you so they can attract all of the cops!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Differece between European and American Drivers

Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
Rose, I lived in Italy for three years and understand that it is custom to flick your high beams or leave your turn signal on when you are approaching slower moving vehicles, as far as the accidents go, I have seen so many deaths on the roads over there its not funny. I hope to god that our roads never become like Europe's
Well, I do have to agree that Italy is different (if you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalks). I was in Germany, Switzerland and Austria for a second visit 2 years ago and didn't see any accidents. Perhaps I was just lucky.

But I'll observe more soon enough, just found out that I'm going to Germany again in September! Woo-Hoo! :cheers:

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin

911 is a great thought!! However, I personally don't have too much respect or interest in dealing with the police or EMT. I've been in an ambulance where the EMTs were laughing at me... not very professional at all. The police?... especially in SOMD...I'd rather not deal with. They pull you over for absolutely no reason... and race seems to be an interesting factor associated with the somd police. Since I'm not white, the police don't always work to my advantage.

More importantly, if you call 911 for an emergency, they send an ambulance and take you to the NEAREST hospital... this would not have helped at all. I needed to take my dad to the hospital that treats his condition AND has been treating him, which is NOT the NEAREST hospital.

For several reasons, I found driving to be the best choice.

I really didn't care to go into all these details to point out a simple situation.
As far as letting someone pass by when they request to do so...
I say again...
You don't have to do it... but does it really hurt you to do it??

I think a lot of times a person's selfishness and pride gets in the way of doing something for another individual.