Four-Year-Old Missing From Daycare

Lamini

http://www.somdnews.com/stories/071807/entetop172851_32099.shtml

i am amazed at how 3 adults / professionals allowed a 4yr old girl to "run off". it wasnt no daycare center, it was a public school that offered summer school, hollywood elementary. how can they blame a girl who is not capable of understanding "lost". she did not "run off", she was un-attended!!!, by 3 adults! what a way to turn around negligence. she has autism for crying out loud, they knew this. she has great motor skills but has severe speech problems. i wonder if this school Autism is. One in every 166 children get it, no cause, no cure. Theres thousands of autistic children in maryland alone. And it hits the middle/low class the hardest as they cannot afford the therapy for their children to get help, and in almost all cases insurance doesn't help.

Lamini

im just frustrated how that article made it sound like "girl runs off from day care". it should be "unattended lost school girl found by police, school teachers blamed for negligence".

i dont think im being harsh. i never, not for 1 second of her life since autism hit her (her skills went downhill before age 2, which is typical) let go of her hand in public. she runs slow, and cant run straight, i thought the teachers were morbid obese or in crutches or something until i got there, everyone was in tears. however, the article there is not like what the principal told me. she said they (3 adult teachers) were unlocking a door to get back in the building, turned around, and she was gone. luckily autistic children are easy to find, just look for sand or birds/butterflies. they get high (literally) off watching butterflies, or birds, and specially sand. heck, staring at a wall gets her high. thats their world. ours is overkill to their senses and they constantly have to battle it by self stimulation.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Lamini said:
http://www.somdnews.com/stories/071807/entetop172851_32099.shtml

i am amazed at how 3 adults / professionals allowed a 4yr old girl to "run off". it wasnt no daycare center, it was a public school that offered summer school, hollywood elementary. how can they blame a girl who is not capable of understanding "lost". she did not "run off", she was un-attended!!!, by 3 adults! what a way to turn around negligence. she has autism for crying out loud, they knew this. she has great motor skills but has severe speech problems. i wonder if this school Autism is. One in every 166 children get it, no cause, no cure. Theres thousands of autistic children in maryland alone. And it hits the middle/low class the hardest as they cannot afford the therapy for their children to get help, and in almost all cases insurance doesn't help.
Are you talking about the "new" Hollywood Elementary or the old one thats across from the post office. The old Hollywood Elementary biulding is occupied by Parks & Rec and they run summer camps there as well.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lamini said:
im just frustrated how that article made it sound like "girl runs off from day care". it should be "unattended lost school girl found by police, school teachers blamed for negligence".
I just read the story in yesterday's Emptyprize and, yes, it sounds very much like the teachers weren't watching her properly.

Glad she was found - you and your wife must have been having a heart attack.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
vraiblonde said:
Glad she was found - you and your wife must have been having a heart attack.
Did your kids ever hide in the clothes at stores? K would do that all the time and freak me out!

Lamini

my daughter with autism, Angela, is not capable of understanding what "lost" is. it was frustrating trying to get the reporter to understand when he asked me "so your daughter ran off and she didnt even know she was lost"... she is permanently in her own world. our world is hell for them, so they stay in theirs.

I hope this has helped everyone in understanding what autism is, somewhat. there are thousands of these children in maryland. 1 in 166 children are diagnosed with it worldwide, it does not discriminate, there is no cause, no cure. .. though its a great mystery why so many are diagnosed right after they get their first set of vaccinations...

when they are diagnosed, they are placed on the "spectrum". angela has great motor skills, but her verbal is severe. some can speak, but not fully, and some have poor muscle tone as their motor skills are severe, thus, the spectrum, but there are also the "high functioning" autistic people you cant even tell they have autism.

im sure the teachers learned something about autism. and again, i hope they dont get too tight on her. getting in their face gives these kids stress (constant crying, and they can self inflict pain). yelling is a huge no no. some hate music (over stimulation). you can pick out autistic children easily in a crowd, they are the ones staring with that afraid look in their eyes, staring at pixels or fans, please take it easy on them if you see them bolting down your shopping isles, their parents are not careless, they do that 24/7, yes, including the nights when she doesnt want to sleep.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Chasey_Lane said:
Did your kids ever hide in the clothes at stores? K would do that all the time and freak me out!

I used to do that as a child til one day, I came out and couldn't find my mother. It freaked me the eff out and I never did it again.

I wonder if she was hiding from me on purpose :eyebrow:

W

Wenchy

river rat said:
I used to do that as a child til one day, I came out and couldn't find my mother. It freaked me the eff out and I never did it again.

I wonder if she was hiding from me on purpose :eyebrow:

I did the exact same thing and ran to a long khaki encased leg that I thought was my father and hugged it tight. It wasn't, but he helped me find my dad. I never did that again.

I like to think I'm the perfect parent, but I'm not. When my daughter was 5 we were at a softball tournament at a large sport's complex. She was at the playground with several other children and a 12 year old was watching them. I went back to watch the game. 10 minutes later they announced my name over the loud speaker to come and get my child; she had wandered off and become lost. I was horrified. That never happened again.