What is the Law?

WifeandMother

So...our truck and trailer got hit this weekend and the guy tried to run off but was stopped by someone. What is the law? This guy seems to be disputing hitting both the truck and trailer and wants to only pay for the trailer damage. Do we call the police since we have a witness and what is the law about contacting the police? Any help appreciated.

WishyWashy

WifeandMother said:
So...our truck and trailer got hit this weekend and the guy tried to run off but was stopped by someone. What is the law? This guy seems to be disputing hitting both the truck and trailer and wants to only pay for the trailer damage. Do we call the police since we have a witness and what is the law about contacting the police? Any help appreciated.

Why didn't you call the police when it happened?

MMDad

Lem Putt
WifeandMother said:
You should have called the police when it happened, and more so when he tried to leave. Since you waited so long, you might have a hard time getting him to pay anything. Good luck!

luckystar07

count your blessings
Since the police were never there to actually see it when it happened it is probably to late... next time call police. Good luck with everything tho.

WifeandMother

We were out on the water and when we got back found out it happened. The guy left his card and said to call him. I called him the next day and he said he would come over to look at the damages and take care of it because he did not want to go through his insurance company. I should have known better.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
WifeandMother said:
We were out on the water and when we got back found out it happened. The guy left his card and said to call him. I called him the next day and he said he would come over to look at the damages and take care of it because he did not want to go through his insurance company. I should have known better.
You should have called the police then.
When you make the claim against your insurance agency, they're going to want the police report number.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
WifeandMother said:

Do you have his tag number? You said you have a witness? Was their damage to his car...do you know?

I'd call the police and see what they say. Just tell them what happened.

luckystar07

count your blessings
WifeandMother said:
So he hit you in a parking lot... tough one can you maybe even have him sign something proving to cover the damage? I would get it taken care of asap

I

Inkpen

1. File Police report..
get whitness, get tag number and police report will list insurance for offender.
2. Talk to your insurance agent and do as he advises.

He left note, he admitted fault...
Good luck....