Upper GI

Taking my 7 month old up to Childrens on Friday to have an upper GI done. What exactly does this process involve? All I know is that I can't feed him for 4 hours beforehand...:jameo:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
workin hard said:
Taking my 7 month old up to Childrens on Friday to have an upper GI done. What exactly does this process involve? All I know is that I can't feed him for 4 hours beforehand...:jameo:

My youngest had one when he was 6 weeks old. Same process as an adult, the kids just don't like it. They will more than likely feed the baby the barium solution in a bottle. Then they x-ray the belly and digestive track. It's not a big deal, just difficult because kids don't like to be restrained at that age.

cattitude said:
My youngest had one when he was 6 weeks old. Same process as an adult, the kids just don't like it. They will more than likely feed the baby the barium solution in a bottle. Then they x-ray the belly and digestive track. It's not a big deal, just difficult because kids don't like to be restrained at that age.

Thanks!!....Is the barium nasty? Hopefully he'll be so hungry he won't care.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
My daughter had this done at around three months. She couldn't eat after midnight the night before. The test wasn't until 8:00 in the morning. She was so hungry that she layed right down on the table and was content to drink the WHOLE bottle of barium solution. They did it right here at St. Mary's. It went a lot better than I expected. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It was actually pretty cool to watch the monitor and see the barium go through her system.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
workin hard said:
:lol: Great! This should be a whole ball of fun then! They want to do bloodwork too so I feel that it's not gonna be a pleasant day.

You'd be surprised at how resiliant kids are. My poor little guy had a TON of medical tests/procedures. If you (parents) remain calm and matter of fact, the kids seem to well.

cattitude said:
You'd be surprised at how resiliant kids are. My poor little guy had a TON of medical tests/procedures. If you (parents) remain calm and matter of fact, the kids seem to well.

Thanks! What was wrong with the little guy? Mine just keeps spitting everything up. Baby food, formula, everything.

When he was 6 weeks old they had to draw blood and do a spinal tap on W b/c of a fever. They made me leave the room b/c they said the mothers don't deal well with watching it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
workin hard said:
Thanks! What was wrong with the little guy? Mine just keeps spitting everything up. Baby food, formula, everything.

When he was 6 weeks old they had to draw blood and do a spinal tap on W b/c of a fever. They made me leave the room b/c they said the mothers don't deal well with watching it.

He's 24 now. :lol:

He had episodes of apnea. He spent a week at the SIDs Institute at University of Maryland Hospital...had every test known to man and never did find out anything conclusive. He had to be on an apnea monitor for 8 months.

Both of mine were projectile barfers. Sounds like he has reflux...some are worse than others.

cattitude said:
He's 24 now. :lol:

He had episodes of apnea. He spent a week at the SIDs Institute at University of Maryland Hospital...had every test known to man and never did find out anything conclusive. He had to be on an apnea monitor for 8 months.

Both of mine were projectile barfers. Sounds like he has reflux...some are worse than others.

Poor thing. Apnea would scare the living daylights out of me! And seeing them go through all the tests would make me crazy too.
Yeah he's been on reflux meds since he was 6 weeks and they just don't make a difference other than he doesn't scream anymore when he eats or spits up.

chevylover said:
My daughter had this done at around three months. She couldn't eat after midnight the night before. The test wasn't until 8:00 in the morning. She was so hungry that she layed right down on the table and was content to drink the WHOLE bottle of barium solution. They did it right here at St. Mary's. It went a lot better than I expected. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It was actually pretty cool to watch the monitor and see the barium go through her system.

Aww I couldn't imagine not being able to let them eat for that long.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
workin hard said:
Poor thing. Apnea would scare the living daylights out of me! And seeing them go through all the tests would make me crazy too.
Yeah he's been on reflux meds since he was 6 weeks and they just don't make a difference other than he doesn't scream anymore when he eats or spits up.

Ever tried having him sleep upright in a car seat or carrier? Probably hard at 7 months if he's not used to it.

cattitude said:
Ever tried having him sleep upright in a car seat or carrier? Probably hard at 7 months if he's not used to it.
We've tried feeding him upright, keeping him upright for a 1/2 hour after feeding, keeping him quiet for a bit after feeding, cereal in the bottle, etc. Bunches of things since he was 6 weeks old.

The only time he doesn't do it is when we feed him his last bottle and lay him in his crib (flat) at bedtime. I just can't figure it out.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
workin hard said:
Aww I couldn't imagine not being able to let them eat for that long.

I think that was the hardest thing about the whole ordeal. She had reflux and was put on meds for a year. How much cereal do you use in the bottle. We had to make hers VERY thick to get it to stay down. It was like a milkshake consistancy. We even put it in her baby food to thicken it up.

chevylover said:
I think that was the hardest thing about the whole ordeal. She had reflux and was put on meds for a year. How much cereal do you use in the bottle. We had to make hers VERY thick to get it to stay down. It was like a milkshake consistancy. We even put it in her baby food to thicken it up.

Cereal seemed to make it worse honestly. Almost like it was too much for his stomach ya know. Yeah I hate him being on meds but it helps him feel better.

vraiblonde said:
Workin, have them check your son for pyloric stenosis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyloric_stenosis

My friend's daughter had this when she was a baby and it took them forever to diagnose it. Once they knew what it was, it was a simple operation to get her straightened out.

Definatly something to ask about. Because it sounds almost like him. Sometimes its forceful and then sometimes it just kind of spills on out. :lol: He's had more than normal weight growth so they weren't concerned until i told them he's spitting baby food up.