99 Cherokee help... Trying to fix my wife's jeep from Iraq

Bozznc

110 degrees and shivering
Alright guys.. I'm deployed, and kinda winging this, but I need some help.. 99 cherokee, only 70k miles, 4.0l and auto tranny. She emailed me, saying that she made it about 5 miles from the house, stopped at a red light, when she went to pull off, took high rpms, signifigant lack of power.. no check engine light. New air filter, no ecu codes, well maintained... She was able to get it up to 50, bring it back home, tranny shifted fine.

I'm thinking Map sensor, or possibly fuel filter.. any other ideas? I seriously need some assistance here.

bobbyb

If she is near Waldorf take it to Blue Ribbon Auto, by the old State Police Barracks. Ryner is the owner and he will fix it right for much less then any on else in town. His wife is retired military. All of my family and a lot of my friends use him and we are all happy with his work and prices. He has always fixed our 3 Jeeps well.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Blue Ribbon 301-843-1232

Bozznc

Ok.. she's coming from lex park, but I'll definitely give em a call. I was hoping it was something she could fix though.. First term sailor=itty bitty paycheck

bobbyb said:
If she is near Waldorf take it to Blue Ribbon Auto, by the old State Police Barracks. Ryner is the owner and he will fix it right for much less then any on else in town. His wife is retired military. All of my family and a lot of my friends use him and we are all happy with his work and prices. He has always fixed our 3 Jeeps well.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Blue Ribbon 301-843-1232

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Bozznc said:
Alright guys.. I'm deployed, and kinda winging this, but I need some help.. 99 cherokee, only 70k miles, 4.0l and auto tranny. She emailed me, saying that she made it about 5 miles from the house, stopped at a red light, when she went to pull off, took high rpms, signifigant lack of power.. no check engine light. New air filter, no ecu codes, well maintained... She was able to get it up to 50, bring it back home, tranny shifted fine.

I'm thinking Map sensor, or possibly fuel filter.. any other ideas? I seriously need some assistance here.

I may be several thousand miles closer than you are. But with out looking at it we are at the exact same disadvantge.
that has obd2 correct?

turn the key on and off three times and it will run in safe mode?

no ecu codes? did she take it and have it scanned any where?

High rpm (I'd guess vacum leak) but the computer can adjus the idle also.

SORRY NOT MOR HELP:shrug:

PM FD DOG and take it to one of his shops:yay:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Bozznc said:
Ok.. she's coming from lex park, but I'll definitely give em a call. I was hoping it was something she could fix though.. First term sailor=itty bitty paycheck

Get her to take it to the Auto Hobby Shop. They are real Helpfuland very experienced mechanics. often some are retired sailors:yay:

Bozznc

Yes, it's obd2 compliant. It runs in standard, havent had her try limp-home mode yet. She's going to take it and have it scanned, but i was thinking vacuum leak as well.. i've heard of the tube breaking off or slipping off the Map sensor causing the same issues, so that supports the vacuum problem.. I'm hoping it comes back with a running lean code or a sensor fault code

Dougstermd said:
I may be several thousand miles closer than you are. But with out looking at it we are at the exact same disadvantge.
that has obd2 correct?

turn the key on and off three times and it will run in safe mode?

no ecu codes? did she take it and have it scanned any where?

High rpm (I'd guess vacum leak) but the computer can adjus the idle also.

SORRY NOT MOR HELP:shrug:

PM FD DOG and take it to one of his shops:yay:

dustin

UAIOE
Bozznc said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but she didnt leave the parking brake on did she?

Bozznc

Better hope she doesn't see this, dustin.. She has a temper on her, and no.. she was stopped at a light on willows road when it started slipping

dustin said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but she didnt leave the parking brake on did she?

Agee

Could be spot on with a vaccum hose. Look at the vaccum hoses to the "Mapp Sensor", normally back against the firewall. Possibly the the "Throttle Posisition Sensor (TPS). As stated hard to diagnose without being around the vehicle to witness the symptoms.

Keep us informed!

bcp

In My Opinion
check the speed sensor.
right side of tranny.
it will be a sensor sticking out with a clip on wire leading up to the engine.
the "wrench" area of the sensor will be silver, the center is black with the silver connection for the wire clip in the center of that.
Cost is around 30 bucks, unscrew it, and screw the new one in, put the clip back on and go on your way.

another thing to try is if it is only doing it after it has been running for a while, put a bag of ice on the computer and see if it fixes the problem.

R

RadioPatrol

bobbyb said:

Blue Ribbon 301-843-1232

Yeah that , I have taken several vehicles to him over the years ..........

only down side, he will not work on anything thats not an R&R .........