Dance Studios

Tina2001aniT

The kiddo is almost 9 and has decided she would like to get into dance. She wants ballet or hip hop. I am thinking she would definately do better and enjoy more the hip hop.

We live in Southern Calvert, so Calvert or Southern St. Mary's would work for us. Any suggestions?

P.s. I can google dance studios but was hoping for someone with hands-on excperience

karmama

Donna Jordan is opening a dance studio (House of Dance) in the Oakville area - St. Mary's County. She does hip-hop and a lot of other dances. Your daughter would love it! Check out bodyshakers.com

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
My oldest took dance lessons through parks and rec at the Southern Community Center when we lived in that area. They have ballet, tap, jaz, gymnastics, etc. Maybe go online and see what's coming up.

I liked the classes there because if you have other aged children you can go with them to the library for some quiet reading/homework time, play on the computer, etc.

Great new thread. My 6 year old wants to start dance classes and we are looking in the PF area. Let me know if you find something that looks good!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
You can try Gracie's Guys and Dolls. My oldest did dance with her studio for 2 years and I was happy with the teaching and all of the kids seemed to enjoy all of the classes they were taking. She has moved her studio out of L'town to the Hollywood area.

mamissa3

we use bunny bailey and she is wonderful. She is a little old fashioned but worth it.:) her son and daughter also are teachers.

cdsulhoff

Tina2001aniT said:
The kiddo is almost 9 and has decided she would like to get into dance. She wants ballet or hip hop. I am thinking she would definately do better and enjoy more the hip hop.

We live in Southern Calvert, so Calvert or Southern St. Mary's would work for us. Any suggestions?

P.s. I can google dance studios but was hoping for someone with hands-on excperience

Even though Hip hop is a fun class and style to learn. Ballet teaches them so much that is carried over in other techniques.. I think Ballet is so important for a young dancer to learn.. Tap is another god style for a young dancer to learn..
Yes the Community center does have a dance studio in it. How good it is I don't know..But for a beginner it is a good start. Good Luck..

Poohhunny1605

Tina2001aniT said:

I highly recommend Julie Rogers Studio of Dance. I went there from 9-13 and I absolutly loved it..She has show troop also, which if your daughter likes to dance and plans on(after trying it out) making it a long term commitment is wonderful, they travel all over. Also, they teach great discipline there! I am planning on enrolling mine when he/she is old enough to go(2 or so). I believe they had a production this past spring, so you may want to enroll her this year since there isn't a production and she can get used to dancing and then next year she can do production and its awesome :)

greyhound

I would suggest Abigail Francisco School of Classical Ballet. The main school is in North Beach but they have satellite classes at the Southern Community center starting in the fall.