After market Sunroofs

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Had one that leaked and another that leak BAD. It actually broke in the open position. After that I started getting them with the vehicle or getting OEM sunroofs installed by the dealer. If a dealer installs and you have problems within "x" amount of time they cover it. Expensive for them to do it though.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
I have heard this but do not belive it, as long as you have someone who does an excellent job install it.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
I had one on my last car (bought it used, previous owner installed it) and it developed a short in the switch where you would shut it then it would pop open again. Nothing but factory roofs for me now, thankee :D.

W

Wenchy

I had two installed, but they were the very basic "pop-up" sunroof. Neither leaked. I think I just dated myself and they probably don't even make/install those anymore. :lmao:

Pete

Repete
Wenchy said:
I had two installed, but they were the very basic "pop-up" sunroof. Neither leaked. I think I just dated myself and they probably don't even make/install those anymore. :lmao:
Was it on an 85 Camaro by any chance :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Definitely a case of "You get what you pay for."

I believe if you go to a reputable glass company or after market shop and spend the extra dollars you'll be fine.. if you fine one at Ray's Auto Parts and he takes your car out back to install the $99 sunroof you are going to have problems.. and don't buy one from someone that won't guarantee/ warranty their work for less than 24 months.

Last edited:
W

Wenchy

Pete said:
With the metal louvers? Or was that the Toyota? :confused: :lol:
No metal whatchamahickies, but I did have a cool luggage rack on top that I never used. :lol:

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Well, given that an after market sunroof looks like pretty much a crap shoot - I'll just be happy without one. My vehicle doesn't come with a sunroof option - so you can't buy them from the dealer that way and you can't get the dealer to install an OEM one. Doesn't exist. :ohwell:

On to other ideas!

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
I tell you what might be a good idea. Just keep in mind I am taking a WAG here so don't shoot.

I am wondering (Smell the smoke) if you were to call your insurance company and ask if it is possible that if you were to install a Sunroof and it leaked would the damages be covered.

I have no idea what their answer might be. 'But' if the answer is "yes". Go with whatever sunroof you like. The answer might be "yes,.... But" maybe you would have to have the work done by a cerified installer or some other requirement you would have to go by.

If the answer is no you have wasted nothing more than a few minutes on the phone.

Anyway, Just thinking out loud.

Nanny Pam

My brother got one. It leaked.

My BIL got one on his car and it leaked.

My sister was going to get one, but after she saw how bad our BIL's leaked, she changed her mind.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Nanny Pam said:

My sister was going to get one, but after she saw how bad our BIL's leaked, she changed her mind.
That's what I keep hearing from people. I think it's best to leave well enough alone. :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Nanny Pam said:

I understand that, but where did they get them??

SOMEONE has to install them on the cars you get at the dealer, and I've never had an OEM one leak.. Think if you find a reputable installer with a lot of experience you can get a QUALITY sunroof that won't leak. Just don't expect to pay $99 and not see water in your passenger compartment.

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Sunroof

Hey Brat.D&G in Leonardtown put the one in the mazda remember .It NEVER leaked and the garantee it for as long as you own the car......

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Factory sunroofs have extra structural framing around them that keep them more stable. Without it, the aftermarket roofs may leak due to natural bending and twisting of the body pulling the roof away ever so slightly and causing leaks.

Some work and some don't ! Doesn't matter how good the installation !