Anyone know how to service a notebook computer?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
My battery in my 3 year old laptop wasn't taking a charge, so I laid down $110 for a new battery, which I have discovered won't take a charge either.

...I'm pretty proficient at servicing desktop computers, but I know absolutely nil about servicing laptops. So there must be something else wrong. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out, either out of the kindness of their hearts or for a reasonable price.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by johndoug
For what it will cost and the age it could be cheaper to buy a new one or just use AC.

I am afraid of that, but I would like to find out the cost before I dismiss it.

I was planning on giving this laptop to my mom.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by David
If it runs with the adapter plugged in and no battery, then you know that the power adapter is good as are the cables and power connector on the laptop.

Yeah, the adapter is good, I tested that already.

The problem could then be that you have 2 bad batteries.

I would also check the contacts inside the laptop where the battery mates with the laptop to transfer power (the power conduit as Scotty would say). Make sure that they aren't bent or corroded. I would also stick my voltmeter probes in there to see if power is making it from the AC adapter down to the battery.

Well, they're not bent or corroded, but I don't know if they work and I don't have a voltimeter. Anybody know where I can get one at low cost? Also, I'm not sure where to attach the voltimeter to test it. I've never done it before, and where the battery is inserted, there's about 6 flat metal rods, each about 3/8 of an inch apart. That's why I was wondering if anyone could assist me.

I bought the battery through the net, so I need to figure out what the problem is asap and see if I need to return the battery.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not that I'm some computer genius but it sounds like your internal charging system is whacked. I *think* that's part of your motherboard but some real geek could tell you that.

Take it in to a computer place (obviously we recommend TQCI) and have them check it out. Or better yet, call and tell them the problem and see what they say.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Not that I'm some computer genius but it sounds like your internal charging system is whacked. I *think* that's part of your motherboard but some real geek could tell you that.

Take it in to a computer place (obviously we recommend TQCI) and have them check it out. Or better yet, call and tell them the problem and see what they say.

I'm probably going to make some calls early this week. I need to determine if it's a problem with the battery or something else, because I need to return the one I bought if there's a problem with it.

Who is TQCI and why do we recommend them?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sleuth,

With the power adapter plugged into the computer does it work? Make sure a battery is installed. If it works the problem is the battery, if it doesn't you have a problem with the circuitry after the battery.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Ken King
Sleuth,

With the power adapter plugged into the computer does it work? Make sure a battery is installed. If it works the problem is the battery, if it doesn't you have a problem with the circuitry after the battery.

Ken,

The computer works with the adapter plugged in. However, neither the old battery nor the new battery will seem to take a charge. I was concerned that maybe the part of the motherboard (assuming it's on the motherboard) that connects to the battery and charges it may be damaged.

Are you sure that if the computer works with the adapter, that the problem is definitely with the battery?

H

Heretic

Well if it works with the adaptor then the adaptor is working. So that means either your batteries are not taking a charge or are not getting a charge. In addition since its more than one battery I would wager that they are not getting a charge.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
Ken,

The computer works with the adapter plugged in. However, neither the old battery nor the new battery will seem to take a charge. I was concerned that maybe the part of the motherboard (assuming it's on the motherboard) that connects to the battery and charges it may be damaged.

Are you sure that if the computer works with the adapter, that the problem is definitely with the battery?
IBM has service manuals online that might be able to help you determine what is wrong. Try http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=203&uid=psg1PFAN-3TSMGJ&loc=en_US

Ken King

PREMO Member
Checking Operational Charging: To check operational charging, use a discharged battery pack or a battery pack that has less than 50% of the total power remaining when installed in the computer. Perform operational charging. If the battery status indicator or icon does not turn on, remove the battery pack and let it return to room temperature. Reinstall the battery pack. If the charge indicator or icon still does not turn on, replace the battery pack.

If the charge indicator still does not turn on, replace either the system board or DC-DC card that the battery is connected to. Then reinstall the battery pack. If the reinstalled battery pack is not charged, go to the next section.

Checking the Battery Pack: Battery charging will not start until the Fuel-Gauge shows that less than 95% of the total power remains; with this condition the battery pack can charge to 100% of its capacity. This protects the battery pack from being overcharged or having a shortened life.
Do the following:
1. Power off the computer.
2. Remove the battery pack and measure the voltage between battery terminals 1 (+) and 4 (-).
3. If the voltage is less than +11.0 V dc, the battery pack has been discharged. Recharge the battery pack. Note: In this case, the battery pack is over-discharged. It takes at least 3 hours to recharge the battery pack even if the indicator does not turn on.
4. If the voltage is still less than +11.0 V dc after recharging, replace the battery.
5. If the voltage is more than +11.0 V dc, measure the resistance between battery terminals 3 and 4. The resistance must be 4 to 30 K ohm.
6. If the resistance is not correct, replace the battery pack. If the resistance is correct, replace the system
board.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Ken King
Checking Operational Charging: To check operational charging, use a discharged battery pack or a battery pack that has less than 50% of the total power remaining when installed in the computer. Perform operational charging. If the battery status indicator or icon does not turn on, remove the battery pack and let it return to room temperature. Reinstall the battery pack. If the charge indicator or icon still does not turn on, replace the battery pack.

If the charge indicator still does not turn on, replace either the system board or DC-DC card that the battery is connected to. Then reinstall the battery pack. If the reinstalled battery pack is not charged, go to the next section.

Checking the Battery Pack: Battery charging will not start until the Fuel-Gauge shows that less than 95% of the total power remains; with this condition the battery pack can charge to 100% of its capacity. This protects the battery pack from being overcharged or having a shortened life.
Do the following:
1. Power off the computer.
2. Remove the battery pack and measure the voltage between battery terminals 1 (+) and 4 (-).
3. If the voltage is less than +11.0 V dc, the battery pack has been discharged. Recharge the battery pack. Note: In this case, the battery pack is over-discharged. It takes at least 3 hours to recharge the battery pack even if the indicator does not turn on.
4. If the voltage is still less than +11.0 V dc after recharging, replace the battery.
5. If the voltage is more than +11.0 V dc, measure the resistance between battery terminals 3 and 4. The resistance must be 4 to 30 K ohm.
6. If the resistance is not correct, replace the battery pack. If the resistance is correct, replace the system
board.

Ken, I saw that. Thanks for the link.
I'm going to have to get ahold of a volt-meter I guess...

In the meantime, I returned the new battery today. I lost about $30 in restocking fees and shipping, but it's better than $120 for a battery I possibly can't use.

I'll do all these diagnostics or have it tested before I buy another battery.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
Ken, I saw that. Thanks for the link.
I'm going to have to get ahold of a volt-meter I guess...

In the meantime, I returned the new battery today. I lost about $30 in restocking fees and shipping, but it's better than $120 for a battery I possibly can't use.

I'll do all these diagnostics or have it tested before I buy another battery.
I've got a digital VOM, maybe one evening you can run by and we can check it out. PM if interested.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sure Ken, read the manual. That takes all the fun out of guessing. You're prob one of those guys who actually reads maps before taking a trip.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by Admin
Sure Ken, read the manual. That takes all the fun out of guessing. You're prob one of those guys who actually reads maps before taking a trip.
Of course I read the manual. Guessing around eletronics results in damage or injury. I absolutely look at the map, plan the route, and never get lost. What's the problem with that?