DSL require a dedicated phone jack?

H

Heretic

My Apt only has one phone jack and I read in earthlinks FAQ that it may require a dedicated jack all to itself. Verizons doesn't seem to mention this so which one is right.

H

Heretic

So i can use a splitter and put one side into the DSL modem and the other into my phone?

SmallTown

Football season!
Yes. I'm not sure about earthlink, but with verizon's package you get 5 filters for your phones, and one or two splitters. The splitter goes into the wall. One side you would just put in the wire from the dsl modem, the other you would attack the inline filter to the splitter, then the phone wire into that.

Verizon has a good deal on their service now. $35 month for just the service, or if you bundle it with one of their pachages it is only $30 month.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
With earthlink I do not need a dedicated jack. Just need the filters (which they supply 3 of) on the other phones. Radio Shack sells the filters for about $10 apiece too. Earthlink also provides a splitter so one can run to a phone and one line to computer. Just remember to use the filter on the line running to the phone.

alex

Are there additional charges by your local phone co for DSL service? If I go with earthlink DSL is Verizon going to add charges to my local service for the DSL?

Pete

Repete
This post brings up a good point. Who do you recommend for internet service down there? I am cheap, right now I have dial-up that only costs me $200 per year. I don't download music of big files so it has worked for me fine. I could not see paying $55 a month for broadband so I could get to SOMD.COM 18 nanoseconds faster. My house is going to be in Hollywood is DSL even an option? I heard that you need to be near the central phone hub for DSL. On here there are only 2 ISP's listed. One of them has IDSN service, never heard of it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by dpete2q
This post brings up a good point. Who do you recommend for internet service down there? I am cheap, right now I have dial-up that only costs me $200 per year. I don't download music of big files so it has worked for me fine. I could not see paying $55 a month for broadband so I could get to SOMD.COM 18 nanoseconds faster. My house is going to be in Hollywood is DSL even an option? I heard that you need to be near the central phone hub for DSL. On here there are only 2 ISP's listed. One of them has IDSN service, never heard of it.
You know basically where I am at. I have dial up and use RCN/Starpower. No idea if DSL is available in your area.

Taz

dpete2q,
I am in the same boat, at home we use the computer, surf the web a bit, but I really don't need blazing speeds since we don't do a lot of downloading. I use dialup ISP (NetZero) for $9.95/month and have no complaints. They have like six or seven local numbers, and I never have seen the pc dial a second number. Also get a faster (49-54K) connection than I did in FL.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by dpete2q
My house is going to be in Hollywood is DSL even an option? I heard that you need to be near the central phone hub for DSL. On here there are only 2 ISP's listed. One of them has IDSN service, never heard of it.

Did you say your new home will be on Morgan Road? The Central Office is right up the road, so you may be able to have DSL there. Find out the current homeowners phone number, and then check on verizon.com to see if that # qualifies for DSL.

alex

You need to check with all the providers you might be interested in to see if DSL is offered. I can get DSL from earthlink and verizon but not AT&T. So checking with just verizon won't do you any good if you want to use a different provider.