Thumbsucking

rdkarob

My daughter is six and still sucks her thumb. I do not know what to do now that she is losing her baby teeth she needs to stop. I have tried positive reinforcement, no luck, I took her to the dentist and he said he may have to put a device on her permanent teeth to break the habit, costly at that!!!

Any suggestions??

lovinmaryland

rdkarob said:
My daughter is six and still sucks her thumb. I do not know what to do now that she is losing her baby teeth she needs to stop. I have tried positive reinforcement, no luck, I took her to the dentist and he said he may have to put a device on her permanent teeth to break the habit, costly at that!!!

Any suggestions??

Hot sauce

SoMDGirl42

amputate the thumbs? Sorry, that was mean :flowers:

I don't have any idea. I had a friend growing up that sucked her thumb. She did it until she was 16. She said she stopped, but I think she only said she stopped so everyone would quit teasing her about it. Good luck.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
I took child development in school and we learned its a way of comforting. Try to slowly wean her off give her something else for comfort possibly a blanket or something. At night you also could try putting a little bit of vassaline(sp?) on her thumbs or something else distasteful, so she wont want to suck them. Hope this helps.

jetmonkey

just one...

Attachments

• BBBS.jpg
    BBBS.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 118

jetmonkey

SoMDGirl42 said:

I don't have any idea. I had a friend growing up that sucked her thumb. She did it until she was 16. She said she stopped, but I think she only said she stopped so everyone would quit teasing her about it. Good luck.
probably found a substitute

sockgirl77

MLGTS08 said:
I took child development in school and we learned its a way of comforting. Try to slowly wean her off give her something else for comfort possibly a blanket or something. At night you also could try putting a little bit of vassaline(sp?) on her thumbs or something else distasteful, so she wont want to suck them. Hope this helps.
Then she'll be a six year old running around with a ratty blankie. :linus:

P.S. Hot sauce did not work for me. The pepper nail polish did not work either. I sucked my thumb in my sleep until I was 7. Mom said I just quit one night and never did it again. :shrug:

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
sockgirl77 said:
Then she'll be a six year old running around with a ratty blankie. :linus:
True... but they could try it just at night time to sleep with the blanket, worked for me when I was young but I guess all children are different.

lovinmaryland

try dipping her thumb in nail polish remover... i know whenever i use that and accidentally put my finger in mouth i gag :barf:

Seamaid

Speaking from experience, she will quit on her own, when she is ready.

rdkarob said:

Any suggestions??

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I dont remember the last time I saw an adult sucking their thumb. I know a few crybabys but no thumb suckers. She will quit when shes ready.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
SoMDGirl42 said:

My 19 year old cousin still sucks her thumb when she sleeps. :faint: She still acts like a child in every other respect though, so it's just par for the course. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They sell stuff at the drugstore that you paint on their nails - tastes nasty, won't wash off, but it won't hurt them.

sockgirl77

vraiblonde said:
They sell stuff at the drugstore that you paint on their nails - tastes nasty, won't wash off, but it won't hurt them.
It didn't work for me. It was nasty, though. :barf:

mizteresa1965

I tried every remedie for my lil one, who is now 16. And she STILL sucks her thumb when she watches TV and sleeps. Her teeth are absolutely fine!

Yeah, I know.......16.........come on, I'm ready for the stupid comments! :lalala: