Annika Sorenstam

Does Annika Sorenstam make the cut in the Colonial Open this weekend?

• Makes the Cut

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Doesn't make the CUT

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
:neener: You guys are just having ball envy. Besides it say Pro Golf Assoc - not exclusively male only. :rolleyes: Geesh

SmallTown

Football season!
They are just all nervous. Scared this is the just the first step, next thing you know she'll be hanging out at the Masters with all the boys. Her and tiger can hang out, seeing he is another person they just love there. Bad enough they have "one of those" play on their course (caddies are fine), but he wins as well.

I think she will perform very well, looking forward to it.

People hated the fact of letting blacks on the basketball court. But do you think the game would be as big as it is today with guys like MJ, Shaq, Kobe, McGrady as just ball boys? I don't think she will have the same impact, but will open doors to others. but for all of those who say she shouldn't be there because she isn't good enough, I say every guy who finishes below her should lose their card and never play another event. No since in having those people waste space on the tour.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:confused: What's all the fuss about? It's been my experience, when playing with women( - no pun intended) on the golf course that the ladies hit from the forward tees. So they don't have to contend with hitting huge drives to compete with the men.

What she's going to have to master - to stay in contention - are her irons and short game. Getting down in two putts will be a must.

Let's not forget she is a pro too. She's been in tight situations before, and ought to be able to handle the pressure. Hell, she's a winner of several events, this isn't new ground in that respect.

Play your own game Annika!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by migtig
:neener: You guys are just having ball envy. Besides it say Pro Golf Assoc - not exclusively male only. :rolleyes: Geesh

Not me, even tho I voted no, I would love it if she made the cut to shut some of these purists up.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by penncam
:confused: What's all the fuss about? It's been my experience, when playing with women( - no pun intended) on the golf course that the ladies hit from the forward tees. So they don't have to contend with hitting huge drives to compete with the men.

She is hitting from the tips, as it should be.

demsformd

It is questionable whether Sorenstam makes the cut because of her lack of driving power. I am thinking that she cannot but who knows she is a wonderful player.

Anyway I think that it is a wonderful idea for her to play on the men's tour.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I voted that she'd make the cut but I REALLY hope she doesn't. You guys can't say this but, as a woman, I can:

I am so sick of these chickie-babes trying to prove they can play with the boys. The Billie Jean King thing is so played out. When will women just be happy to be females and not feel insulted every time the guys want to do their thing with other guys? All these women's sports die a slow death because they lose their sponsors. Why? Because NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH THEM!!! Not even other women, apparently. WNBA was supposed to be such a big deal - where are they now?

Left to myself, I'd still watch the guys over the girls, if at all. And even better, I'd turn it to a REAL women's sport - gymnastics or figure skating. You can lead a horse to water but you CAN'T make him drink! Which would explain why old Annika wants to play with the boys - maybe then someone would know who the hell she is.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Would you think any of these guys could win???

Larry Mize, Len Mattiace, Scott Verplank, Brad Faxon, Fred Funk, Bernhard Langer , Corey Pavin, John Cook…

Sorernstam outdrives all of them and is more accurate off the tee than them(except Funk), too. My feeling is that her 2nd shots on the par 4s are what is going to tell the tale. If she's able to hold the greens, she should do well.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Otter, it's not that I don't think she can hang with the guys - it's that I think she shouldn't even try.

Otter

Nothing to see here
If someone is into a sport, they want to be the best. If she wants to see where she stacks up among the men on tour, more power to her. I think its a competition thing with her, not a door-opening ploy to have women play on the PGA tour. Actually I want her to make the cut just to shut up one of the pompous jerks on WTEM..lol..

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by demsformd
It is questionable whether Sorenstam makes the cut because of her lack of driving power. I am thinking that she cannot but who knows she is a wonderful player.

Anyway I think that it is a wonderful idea for her to play on the men's tour.
:razz2: Dems, did you not read my post or otters? Driving off the tee for Annika is not going to be a problem.

She will be hitting off the forward tees!

I'm not sure what the actual difference is between the back tees and the forward tees is in yardage, but it will be significant. I'm guessing about 30 yards. That means if she can drive the ball 250-260 yards, the driving advantage of the males is moot.

Anyway there is a story out there that she can out-drive many of the male pros out there to begin with.

No, driving is not going to be her worry; iron-play and putting will.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now. Since Vijay has decided to sit this one out, why doesn't he go over to the LPGA and try his luck there? Show the ladies how it's done? Oh yeah - that's right...it's the LADIES PGA. That stuff burns me up.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by otter
No, Penn, read my post..She will not be hitting from the women's tees....:rolleyes:
:confused: Wait, you're saying she's going to hit from the "tips"? Is that the forward tees or back tees? Now I am confused.

There's normally 3 tees on each hole: back tees/pros, regular tees/members, and forward tees /ladies; so which one is she going to drive from?

If she hits from the back tee, that's an unfair advantage towards the men, I would think.

As I said before, ladies usually hit from the front, or forward tees.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by penncam
If she hits from the back tee, that's an unfair advantage towards the men, I would think.
You've obviously never seen this chickie drive. If she played the ladies tee, it would be unfair to the men.

She'll be hitting from the back tees.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Her average drives are 275 yards (only 3 yards short of last years winner Nick Price) and this is a narrow tactical course, she has a chance. It isn’t like this is anything new. It was done 58 years ago when Babe Zaharias tried the LA Open in 1945, I don’t know how she did though.

Other women have played men over the years and in 1961 Sam Snead lost in a 54-hole exhibition to Louise Suggs.

Annika isn’t trying to open any doors, in my mind. I think she is just checking her game against some of the best (which happen to be men).